Any tips on traveling w/children 3 and 5?!

Magum

Our kids love the various kids clubs, so we are very lucky that we get a nice mix of kid time and adult time. Definitely talk about it ahead of time, and mention any fun activities that they might do (ice cream party, pajama party, lots of art projects, etc).

After 3 cruises, we finally figured out that room service was a great way to have food options available in the morning while getting dressed and ready to go out. We would sometimes go for a "second breakfast" in the buffet or dining room, depending on the activities planed for the morning and the hunger level of the kids.

Lunch was better at the buffet for the kids, and on most ships, we preferred the food and the speed of it (or we ate in port).

We planned on a few dinners with the kids in the dining rooms, but took advantage of all the nights that the kids club served dinner. We also found that feeding the kids an early dinner at the buffet let us have a quiet adult dinner in the dining room, but most of the evening was spent on dinner for us or the kids, so plan accordingly.

We also did a few port excursions with the kids on our first cruise, but now do very few with them, and only ones that they are truly interested in (glass bottom boats in Caribbean, local express bus to Mendenhall in Alaska). Some ships allow you to leave the kids in kids club while you explore the port, but I usually can't leave my little ones for that long. :rolleyes: You may also want to split up and have one parent do a desired tour while the other relaxes on the ship or walks around the port with the kids.

Also-- pack as light as you can, consider bringing a lightweight step stool for the sinks (we use the hollow one from IKEA as it packs well), and let the kids have as much ice cream as they want-- its the main thing ours talk about, and it the their vacation too, after all ;)

My advice is to only travel with small children if you are okay with them not willing to go to the kids club at all. I have cruised several times with my children, and most of the time they have loved going to the club. However, if your children turn down kids club, is it going to ruin your cruise?

I travel with my 3 girls- ages 3/5/7 and I always end up bringing too many books/toys that they never even open. We have our routine- on sea days its the buffet breakfast, putt putt then the kids club. They get picked up for lunch/pool/nap then it's off to dinner and a show.

I would suggest bringing googles for the pool since some are salt water and the kids might not like it. Also, practice manners for sit down dinners. My girls love the experience of dressing up and getting "served" and know that if they misbehave they are stuck eating pizza for dinner!

Finally, I would consider renting a car if you go ashore. It is much cheaper and easier to explore an island than trying to do a ship excursion. I am able to put a stroller,bags,snorkle equipment, etc in the trunk and go!

Have fun!

Archived