Diving equipment question

RevDoc

My wife and I are in the process of certification right now. On a cruise in February we will be diving in Cozumel, Georgetown, and Fort Lauderdale. Next summer we will likely do a couple of dives in Lake Michigan (brrr!). I have an equipment question. It makes a lot of sense to have our own masks and snorkels. The problem is that cost is an issue. How much should we expect to spend for decent stuff. Our dive shop has masks ranging from $50 to over $100. Is there a significant difference for the amount of diving we will likely do (couple of times a year)? Is it worth the price for us to buy fins at this point, again given the amount of diving we will do? We want to buy from our local diveshop because they are such a great resource to have around.

Any thoughts on this stuff would be great!

As a Master diver and somewhat experienced, my input is the mask is the most important investment at this time. Make sure you get one that fits, doesn't restrict your individual vision, and that you can attach or already has a comfortable strap. That way you can alleviate one major annoyance and the associated anxiety raising: a leaky mask.

If you are planning on both snorkeling and diving, get a dry snorkel. If just for diving, let your dive sop owner suggest. Many of my buddies dive snorkel-free, but I usually have mine buy very seldom use it unless actually snorkeling.

A comment on fins, if you can wear shoes that don't fit quite right, they you can probably get by without purchasing fins if the budget would need to be cut in either of the above. But, if you have shoes that don't fit quite right.... The couple of times I have had to borrow fins, I usually get either rub sport and/or full blisters.

Also, if you don't like full-foot fins, you will need dive boots and fins that fit them.

Oh yeah, if you plan any more cold water diving (I'm in Northern Michigan) make sure your mask is comfortable both without and with a hood.

I know this all starts to add up the $, but I suggest the allocation of your money in this priority.

Thanks Bassetthound! I appreciate the input. So, if the fit, feel, and field of vision are essentially the same, there is no intrinsic advantage to the higher priced masks? All of your input makes a great deal of sense and gives us a direction. It seemed to us that the mask is an extremely important part of the whole experience!

Do you do much diving in the Great Lakes? We are in southern Wisconsin and there are some lakes around (Great Lakes included) that seem to offer some good opportunities.

My wife and I are in the process of certification right now. On a cruise in February we will be diving in Cozumel, Georgetown, and Fort Lauderdale. Next summer we will likely do a couple of dives in Lake Michigan (brrr!). I have an equipment question. It makes a lot of sense to have our own masks and snorkels. The problem is that cost is an issue. How much should we expect to spend for decent stuff. Our dive shop has masks ranging from $50 to over $100. Is there a significant difference for the amount of diving we will likely do (couple of times a year)? Is it worth the price for us to buy fins at this point, again given the amount of diving we will do? We want to buy from our local diveshop because they are such a great resource to have around.

I have found some pretty good deals at leisurepro.com and tommydsports.com for scuba gear. If you have a dive shop close to home, you can get an idea of what type and size of equipment you'd like, and then look at some of the discount websites. They really do save you a bundle.

May I offer another way to think about it?

example A: Ski equipment......half way down the slope our cheap binding or goggles fail

example B: on our second wall dive in Cayman, having reached 100 feet our ### fails

do the math

From another cold water diver (Vermont):

Try on a bunch of masks. A mask its correctly if you can place the mask on your face (no strap!), inhale through your nose, and the mask stays on your face.

Snorkle: Think cheap. After certification, you'll find you rarely use it.

Fins: Buy strap style fins. In the cold water, you'll need booties, and you have to have strap style fins rather than the pocket style fins.

Al full setup shouldn't run you more than $150-ish. Many shops require you to have the basics of a mask, snorkle, fins and booties for the certification classes anyway.

From another cold water diver (Vermont)

Hey there,

I'm a Vermonter as well. Where do you dive? I'm in Lake George a bunch of times in the summer but cold doesn't compare until you do Maine. I dove in Maine two weeks ago and the average temp was 48 degrees (in a 7mil wet suit). ;) Thought 50s-60s under the thermocline was bad.

My two cents, get a mask that fits, it shouldn't be outside your budget unless you've got one of those strange shaped faces.

Snorkel, as long as water doesn't go in, you're good. I use a stoable, folding snorkel that I keep in my BC and quick click it to my mask on the surface as I need it.

Fins, I went more expensive. I can see out of just about anything, don't use a snorkel but once or twice a year, fins, my major way of moving through the water. I got some Apollo Bio Fins. They were expensive but compared to the level of effort they take, virtually no leg cramps, and the fact they jump through the water with little effort made the cost worth it.

As far as wet suits, you can rent cold water gear but you might consider a cheap 3mm shorty for the Caribbean. They are easy to find on line and you can use them for scuba or the beach (to keep down the sunburn) while snorkeling.

Randall

Hey there,

I'm a Vermonter as well. Where do you dive? I'm in Lake George a bunch of times in the summer but cold doesn't compare until you do Maine. I dove in Maine two weeks ago and the average temp was 48 degrees (in a 7mil wet suit). ;) Thought 50s-60s under the thermocline was bad.

My two cents, get a mask that fits, it shouldn't be outside your budget unless you've got one of those strange shaped faces.

Snorkel, as long as water doesn't go in, you're good. I use a stoable, folding snorkel that I keep in my BC and quick click it to my mask on the surface as I need it.

Fins, I went more expensive. I can see out of just about anything, don't use a snorkel but once or twice a year, fins, my major way of moving through the water. I got some Apollo Bio Fins. They were expensive but compared to the level of effort they take, virtually no leg cramps, and the fact they jump through the water with little effort made the cost worth it.

As far as wet suits, you can rent cold water gear but you might consider a cheap 3mm shorty for the Caribbean. They are easy to find on line and you can use them for scuba or the beach (to keep down the sunburn) while snorkeling.

Randall

I live in Jeffersonville - I'll dive wherever I can get wet! :) Check out http://www.divevermont.com, for more info. :) Drop me an email, if you want: cfdalden AT gmail.com.

I live in Jeffersonville - I'll dive wherever I can get wet! :) Check out http://www.divevermont.com, for more info. :) Drop me an email, if you want: cfdalden AT gmail.com.

Cool site. BTW, if you want to dive wherever, the New York Divers Association has their invitational dive at Roger's Rock State Park on upper Lake George (about 15 miles south of the bridge at crown point, NY, through Ticonderoga). There's usually around 50 divers or so on the weekend. It's open to all divers and there's no charge. Also I see by your site that you're OW certified. I got my Rescue last year, definitely something I encourage everyone to get.

Randall

Sept. 7-11 Rogers Rock Invitational, Lake George, NY hosted by the Albany Aquanauts

Contact Person: Cindy Lagone 518-383-8712 CLAGONE@CHA-LLP.com

Randall, sign up for the site! It's just starting up, in it's infancy. We're looking to get as many Vermonters together as possible, to get the site going.

I'm in Lake George a bunch, I'll have to check that out, thanks!

-H

Hi,

I'll sign up. As far as Rogers Rock, I'd love to go this year myself but my wife and I are house hunting and she won't let me out of it for diving. :(

Randall

I live in the Chicago area. You are very lucky to live near Lake Michigan. The water is cold but there are many wrecks and sunk ships right out from where you live. I use a 7MM wetsuit for this diving. Check our scubaboard.com for a lot of info.

I do recommend you buy your mask from a shop to make sure of fit. Also, if you need correction that is available as well.

We haven't gotten to do too much diving yet, but our investment in the fins has already paid off many times over because we us them for snorkling as well as diving.

We don't have wet suits and I doubt we will get them. We only dive on vacation and rarely go to the same place twice. Different places (and seasons) are going to want different thicknesses.

I'm certain that a suit makes sense for hard core divers, but for the orginal poster (and myself) I would say skip the suit, but definitely get a good mask as well as fins and snorkle.

The only time I use my snorkel is when the seas might be rough. If you run low on air prior to getting back to the boat/shore the snorkel can be a lifesaver.

I came up once in Cozumel with heavy rain and wind after an hour long drift dive. Even though the weather was great on splashing in it looked like it might rain. A half hour later it was all clear again. I didn't need to use it because the boat got me before I ran out of air but I was very glad to have it. I put it on because of the threat of weather.

It can also be useful if you want to conserve air going to/from a site from shore but I have never done that.

It can also be useful if you want to conserve air going to/from a site from shore but I have never done that.

Hi,

Good point, I HAVE done this, doing a shore dive out to a wreck about 100 yds. away from shore. Snorkeled out following a line to the wreck, dove the wreck the whole tanks, surfaced and snorkeled back. Great air saver and maximized my time on the wreck.

Randall

I agree with the above posters that you should start with a really good mask and a cheap snorkel.

Do you have anyone you know well enough to borrow any equipment from? We have a good friend who is a big time diver and he had a lot of extra stuff for us to borrow. This worked great for two reasons - we got to figure out our likes and dislikes without wasting a lot of money, and it spread out the need to buy so much right away. I discovered I prefer booties and open heel fins to foot fins, I like the warmth of extra neoprene (even in the Caribbean) but it required too much weight to keep me down, etc. We now own all of our own equipment, but borrowing and waiting for the perfect deal on each item was great.

Archived