Help a newbie? Some RCCL Questions..

I'm thinking of giving RCCL a try for NYE 2008 (yes, I am a planner.) We've gone on Disney and Carnival before and my kids have become rather well traveled so they have their list of preferences! I really think DH and I would like RCCL, but need to get some more info about what to expect, especially kid-wise. We're looking at Voyager of the Seas.

- Does RCCL have 24 hour pizza like CCL?

- Is there free ice cream like CCL or is it just Ben & Jerry's? (I assume that is extra $$$)

- One of the biggest hits for my son on CCL was the Late Night Party - the kids got to stay out for a special party until 3 am and were delivered back to the cabin by the counselors. DD is begging to go back when she turns 9 so she can do it too. Does RCCL do anything similar?

- What about NYE? Does RCCL do anything special with the kids for New Years?

- Do balcony dividers open up and connect?

- Is there a soda card and does it include unlimited soda or is it just a pre-paid discount card for a limited number of drinks?

- Can kids be booked in an adjoining cabin to parents or do we need to split our reservation to have one parent in each cabin? We would be booking connecting balcony cabins.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that is what I can come up with for now.

Thanks in advance!

Never cruised with kiddies, but I can answer some of these.

1. The Big Voyager and Freedom classes have the 24 hour cafe promenade with light sandwiches, pizza and COOKIES.

2. There is free soft serve in the buffet (open 6AM to 10 PM) and for-a-fee Ben & Jerrys in the cafe promenade. The other smaller ships have Ben & Jerrys elsewhere.

3. There are soda cards for kids and adults. $6/day for adults and slightly less for kids. The card comes with a free tall mug, compliments of coke. Unlimited usuage, and people cheat, buy one card and all dip in. That will start fights here like jeans and shorts and flip flops in the dining room.:eek:

That is what I know. We don't do adjoining balconies or travel with family

You don't have to put a parent in each room. They don't care who sleeps where! The reason for having an "adult" booked in each room is so that kids (young adults) don't cruise alone. Even if the kids aren't in adjoining rooms, the parents can have their own space!

Don't plan on having the balcony dividers opened. On some ships, they are bolted. On others, it's entirely up to the Captain whether or not they will be removed. (If they are opened, there goes your privacy!!!)

The kids program is top-notch on RCI--the kids will have a blast! Enjoy!

Thanks for all your replies. I am sure we would really like RCCL - just the look and feel of the ship is more my style. My reason for the comparisons on a few items is that my kids LOVED Carnival - I know they will love RCCL too, for many of the same and many different reasons. I was just curious to know where they are the same and where they are different.

24 hour pizza and ice cream and the late night kids party were some of the major highlights for them on Carnival. They want to go back so my daughter can do all the same stuff my son did last time. I would prefer to try another cruiseline for various reasons and just wanted to understand what would be similar/different.

Archived