Not a beach itinerary??? (panama, costa Rica)

JessH

I just read on another board that the 8 day Western Carnival Liberty is 'not a beach itinerary.'

This scares me because we love the beach. Im surprised my travel agent didnt say anything.

Is there a beach close to where we stop in Panama and Costa Rica?

It's really not a beach itinerary at all. We'll be on this trip in March, and although I also love the beach, I want to see other things, as well. The scheduled stop in Costa Maya (which may well be Cozumel instead now) is, obviously, a beach stop. However, Costa Rica is a very jungle-type area, and not really known for beaches. Same with Panama...the big attraction there is the Panama Canal. There *are* beaches in Panama (one of the MyFriendMario.com excursions goes to one), but if you look at pictures, they are not your pristine Caribbean beaches.

We sailed the Legend to Colon, Puerto Limon and Belize City two years ago and I would agree, it isn't a beach cruise. With that said, you can spend the day on beautiful beaches in all three places. The problem is that no beaches are in the immediate vicinity of where the ship docks/tenders so travel will be involved.

In Colon we hired a taxi driver for the day. He took us out to the Gatun locks on the Canal, then down to the old town of Portobelo. Along the road to Portobelo we passed several beautiful beaches. In Puerto Limon we went zip lining at Almonds and Corals which is located about an hour south near the town of Puerto Viejo. If you want a beach town this is it!:D Puerto Viejo is gorgeous with a volcanic black sand beach on the north side and a pristine beach on the south side.

To spend the day at the beach in either port stop you will need to hire a driver. For two people this may be expensive but for four or five it works out to be very reasonable, probably $30 per person. You just need to negotiate.

We were on the Liberty this past January. No, it is not a beach cruise but never-the-less it is a fantastic cruise and I love that ship. My favoriate ports were Panama and Costa Maya. I liked Costa Rica but it was not my favoriate. We took the ferry through the canal and loved it and went to the Myan Ruins in Costa Maya. I don't recall any beaches in Panama. We felt very safe in Panama and that was the port they told us to be the most careful. There is a lot of shopping in the port area.

Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of the 'myfriendmario' excursion, is that safe to take?

We thought seriously about signing up for it, but if you go to the Panama board, you will see that a LOT of myfriendmario customers were returned to the ship late (very late). Granted, the ship's excursions were also running behind, so the ship waited for everyone, but I think the stress of worrying about being late the whole time would ruin my day there. It sounds like the myfriendmario staff members are aware if she ship excursions are running late, so therefore, they don't worry about it, but even so, I wouldn't want to chance it.

I think we are going to do the Carnival Two Oceans by Railroad tour in Panama, the Carnival whitewater rafting in Costa Rica (I love whitewater...prefer kayaking though!), and if we go to Cozumel, then I think we will go to Chankanaab Park for a day of diving/snorkeling/beach time. I might actually prefer going to a more quiet beach like Nachi Cocum, but Chankanaab has diving and Snuba that leave right from there, so it's more convenient.

The beach that someone mentioned above in Costa Rica sounds great. Maybe you can look into that?

We got back from the Liberty in June. Definately not a beach sailing but great none-the-less. The ship is great, The ports are interesting--banana plantations, rain forests, Panama Canal. All great sights. We went on the beach tour in Costa Maya. The beach was awful--lots of sea weed. I hear so many people say they love Costa Maya. We have been there 3 times and I do not like it at all. Each to their own. I guess I never found the attractions they went to.

We got back from the Liberty in June. Definately not a beach sailing but great none-the-less. The ship is great, The ports are interesting--banana plantations, rain forests, Panama Canal. All great sights. We went on the beach tour in Costa Maya. The beach was awful--lots of sea weed. I hear so many people say they love Costa Maya. We have been there 3 times and I do not like it at all. Each to their own. I guess I never found the attractions they went to.

Which beach had all the sea weed? Or is there only one?

I am disappointed it is not going to be a 'beach' trip!

the Carnival whitewater rafting in Costa Rica (I love whitewater...prefer kayaking though!),

We did the White water rafting in Costa Rica through RCCL but they all probably use the same vendors and the tour was one of the best we have ever been on. Extremely organized, wonderful lunch, beautiful clean facilities just a fantastic tour.

Definitely not a beach itinerary except for the Costa Maya stop. However, it's an 8 day cruise with only 3 ports, so you have a lot of sea and sun days. (There were also less kids, if that matters to you; we traveled over Presidents Week, a holiday week, and there were a lot less kids than usual.)

I wouldn't miss the Panama Canal for anything. We did the aerial tram over the rain forest in Costa Rica -- no need to go back now (unless I hit a resort on the west coast for a land vacation; I hear that is great).

I'm making up for it in 08, with a Southern Caribbean itinerary with a new beach nearly every day!

There *are* beaches in Panama (one of the MyFriendMario.com excursions goes to one), but if you look at pictures, they are not your pristine Caribbean beaches.

We did Mario's canal and beach break tour. You're right - if you're looking for a beach like those in Cozumel, this isn't it. It's much more rustic. My photos are at http://travel.webshots.com/album/558933896aVbpxD. As rustic as it was, though, it was a lot of fun. (Beer was $.75 a bottle.:cool: ) My Liberty review on the "reviews" section includes a description of the entire tour, including the canal stop.

As for timing, our tour was scheduled from 7:40 to 2:00, with a sailing time of 4:00. We were back at the pier a little after 2, so we had no concerns about timing. One of our roll call members did the Indian village tour with Mario, though, and they did return later than they would have liked. I know there were a lot of concerns on the Panama Canal board about this, and someone posted that Mario was shortening that tour for people concerned about time.

We spent a great time in both Panama and in Costa Rica. At both stops we went INTO THE JUNGLE. Wow that was great, monkeys jumping around in the trees above your head, holding a sloth and other , in my mind, great experiences. When we got home and I showed my grown children pictures of their dad holding a monkey and holding a sloth, or their parents dancing with the Enawba Indians (nottourist indians) They were in awe. Beaches are great, but you can go to the beach many times in your life

We went on the 8 day exotic a little less than 2 years ago and we did find a fantastic beach in Costa Rica. At dinner we asked our waiter for a good beach and he told us. Don't remember the name of the beach but the waves were awesome for body surfing. They were pretty big and we got rolled several times... :D

Archived