How Hard Is Vnp For People With Asthma?

mafran

I was wondering if it would be too hard on my asthma to do VNP tour. I am weary of doing VNP because I had a lot of difficulty when we were in Arizona's Grand Canyon. How bad is the smell? Even match strike smell makes me wheeze. Is the sulfer smell strong? Would I be better off skipping this tour and just tour Hilo instead? We don't want to rent a car, so it would be limited to the town area.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Unless you stick your head in one of the vents (not a good idea) where steam is rising, you shouldn't have problems at Volcanos National Park. There are also some fields where steam is rising but easy to avoid. I don't know what the tour would include but if you're driving around in the bus and stopping at the lookouts, you probably won't have much problems. The Thurston Lava Tube has no vapors near by and it's pretty obvious what to avoid if you have problems breathing.

If you plan to go down to the lava flowing into the ocean, avoiding vapors is a bit more difficult, you will be walking through venting areas. But other than that, you can avoid sulfer smells pretty easily.

Hi Mafran~

We were there several weeks ago and had a great time. MY DH has asthma, which can be severe, but it is under control.

It was an incredibly windy day. People were literally being pushed all over by the high winds. Although there weren't any fumes or sulfur smell, there were large amounts of dust and minute rock (lava) particles in the air.

Just remember to bring your fast acting inhaler(if you have one). As long as it isn't too windy, you should be fine.

Have a wonderful time!

Archived