Whine About Wine

marne001

Any recent Princess passengers out there who can help with bringing my wine onboard? Before I get flamed, I certainly do pay the corkage fee in any restaurant where I am assisted with opening the bottle, pouring, providing glasses and securing the wine until the next occassion. According to the Princess 800 number as of today, we are limited to one bottle per person. I am trying only to 'live by the letter of the law, er the seas', but must ask; has anyone brought more than one bottle on a Princess cruise? We enjoy the erudite varietals that just are not carried by most cruise lines.

Cruise is in two weeks, any recent experiences with this subject will be appreciated. Again, not trying to break the rules.

Thanks,

Marne The Cruisin' Fool

LOL We had four or five bottles in our carry on luggage!!!

No problems at all, each night we paid a corkage fee and the last two nights bought a bottle each night from their wine list. The wine list was alright, nothin fancy but the prices were very good :)

We cruised last Nov but have friends who have been on two cruises in the last little while and they had even more then we did !!

Have fun :)

Thanks for the info Quincy! I use the cardboard boxes I received when I purchased the cheap liquor on a previous cruise to pack my wines. Then pack sox, tshirts, shorts around the bottles inside the boxes. You made my day!

Hi, Quincytoo! Imagine, I opened this because the title has the word, "wine" in it, and here you are! Hope you don't mind, I nosed around a little and see that you have a cruise coming up, and another trip to Mexico. Good for you. Hope everyone stays healthy on your future trips.

Sheree and I have a Canada/N. England next month on Celebrity Constellation and I think there is a pretty good chance that we will be booking on Grand Princess for an England-Scotland-Ireland circuit next July.

Nice to run into you again, here on CC. Best wishes,

Kman

Hi, Quincytoo! Imagine, I opened this because the title has the word, "wine" in it, and here you are! Hope you don't mind, I nosed around a little and see that you have a cruise coming up, and another trip to Mexico. Good for you. Hope everyone stays healthy on your future trips.

Sheree and I have a Canada/N. England next month on Celebrity Constellation and I think there is a pretty good chance that we will be booking on Grand Princess for an England-Scotland-Ireland circuit next July.

Nice to run into you again, here on CC. Best wishes,

Kman

Hello fellow cruiser and wine lover :)

Say hi to Sheree for us!!! What a good cruise we had :)

I have thought of you and your lovely wife often! We have kept contact with K and B who were also from BC. I can't wait for the next however I am now torn between cruising the Carribean or Hawai!

We are taking Nathan to Puerto Vallarta in Nov :) and then next year WOO HOO our first holiday without children!!! It would be the first time in 20 years!!! That said, Nathan is saying we *couldn't * go without him!!

We will see...;)

What are the stops for the CC cruise??? I had friends on the Grand and they loved it!!

DH and I have always brought at least 6 bottles on board per cruise and so far have had no problems.

We wrap each bottle in bubble wrap; pack them in a cardboard wine box; wrap it up so that there's a handle on top of the box; and slap one our boarding tags on the box. We put it in with the checked bags.

We have no problem paying the corkage fee--none at all. Just don't like

the Princess wine selections. It's not about the wine prices or saving money, it's just that their wine list is...boring--to us anyway.

Cruising is all about having FUN. And to us it's a lot of fun to collect a bunch of off-beat wines (Mattie's Perch Shiraz, anyone!?) and then enjoy them at dinner.

Hopefully Princess won't forget that people cruise to have a good time.

Being smack in the middle of wine country in CA, we enjoy lots of wines from smaller wineries. When we did our cruise aboard the Grand last month, we left one suitcase open and filled it with local wines wrapped in bubblepack. We drank these in our stateroom, with the exception of the one night we took some to The Painted Desert. No one raised an eyebrow except to ask about the wine itself. After the wine was gone, we used the empty suitcase for souvenirs and the like.

Charlie

Again, not trying to break the rules.

Thanks,

Marne The Cruisin' Fool

Well the "rules" are I suppose in the Passage Contract and it says in paragraph 5 " Passengers hereby agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption". So I reckon you are pretty safe [legally] in bringing any sensible amount of wine or champagne on board.

Agree with the previous poster. I have brought many bottles of wine on board previously w/o any probelms. Leaving Sun on CB and will have at least six or more bottles, depending on how much I can jam into carry-on and maybe a couple in checked baggage:D

Doing this from memory, we leave Port Bayonne, New Jersey--and who wouldn't!--Ports include Newport, Rhode Island, Portland and Bar Harbor, Maine, Charlottetown P.E.I., Halifax, about 36 hours in Quebec City and I think I'm overlooking one.

I was thinking of mentioning (and now I'm doing it) that we recently discovered a passable "box wine". It's available at one of the two WalMart superstores in our community. It's called "Killer Juice" and comes in chard and cab. We've had only the chard but we (I) have drunk quite a bit of it; it's actually prettygood for the price, which is about $20 for the equivalent of 4 bottles (3 liters or, for you, probably, 3 litres). The box fits nicely in our fridge, it measures about 8 centimetres by about .000003 kilometres by about .6 cubit.

That Nathan, one of these days he's going to have to get a real job and help send his parents on vacation!

Nice to hear from you and we appreciate the kind remark about Sheree.

Kman

Archived