Car seats/child restraints

tinykygal

My rolling carry-on handle locks in the open position...so it can be PUSHED, yes, with it IN FRONT of me. :rolleyes: AND as I stated in my post "She can either ride in or we can just use it to transport her big seat and she can use the umbrella stroller."

Ryanic, try READING a WHOLE post before you cast your judgement!

My rolling carry-on handle locks in the open position...so it can be PUSHED, yes, with it IN FRONT of me. :rolleyes: AND as I stated in my post "She can either ride in or we can just use it to transport her big seat and she can use the umbrella stroller."

Ryanic, try READING a WHOLE post before you cast your judgement!

Kimi, just ignore that post. There are people here that post things to get a rise out of someone. If Ryanic was truly disturbed by it (And I have NO idea how), there are better ways than calling someone an irresponsible parent.

You are in no way irresponsible.

The only vehicles I have ever seen with working seat belts were on our European cruise when we did private excursions in most ports and all of the vehicles were late model Mercedes autos and vans. In the Caribbean and Mexico, I have always searched for and never found a seatbelt.

I love that idea Kimisoo. If I had known about it, we would have done that instead of buying the Sit N Stroll. We just sold our Sit N STroll last night for $80 so we got something back.

Problems with Sit N Stroll:

1) if your baby is big or has a big, round tummy, the way the seatbelt fits across it cuts into LOs belly

2) the wheels are small and do NOT do well over rought terrain. And most of you that have been to the Caribbean will agree that side walks are either cobblestone or cracked up. Even big-wheel strollers have a hard time.

I am sorry that I upset you, Kimisoo. I was responding to an overwhelming request at my office. One of the ladies is a regular on the Cruise Critic Board and was on there on her break. I read a lot on here but don't post much. She called all of us in the office over to see that picture of your baby being pulled around on the back of a suitcase. We were all horrified that you would do that. The idea is great. It is an excellent idea to haul the car seat. It is not an excellent idea to actually have the baby in it. There are too many things that could happen on accident. Your child should be where you can see her constantly not just by turning your head every little while.

Now what is this post from your mother, I assume, since she called you "MY daughter"? What is she talking about when she says " Where do you get off calling MY daughter irresponsible?:eek:

because she chooses to take her daughter on a family vacation? OR becasue she figured out a way to tote that HUGE AND HEAVY carseat so the baby can be secure in an airline seat purchased for HER to fly down to Florida when she is still under TWO and COULD fly free on a lap???? " She is delusional. I NEVER referred to anything like that. Heavens! What is she talking about????? Hello there SueKayL is it not okay for someone to have an opinion that differs from yours or your daughters. You sound like a peach. NOT! I am glad I don't know you and HOPE to the high heavnes I NEVER meet you.

I responded to your post the way I did Ryanic:

Your comments were:

"It is certainly not very responsibel on your part. If you can't carry your child or put her in something in front of you that you CAN see, then perhaps you shouldn't take her along. Your child IS your responsibility and that THING is not responsible!"

Sorry, but that is what you said to her. Maybe you should re-read your post.

I am a Mom, even though my daughter is a mother herself and one of the best I know and I will defend her, if need be. If you had any concerns, a comment could of been made expressing your concerns about using this item and that is what these forums are for differing opinions. It is NOT necessary to resort to calling someone NOT VERY RESPONSIBLE or suggesting that she not take her daughter along, because in your opinion you would not use the item. If you want to express your opinions in a strong way, then be prepared for strong responses.

By the way:

I think I AM a peach :rolleyes: or whatever, but for sure I am one good and loving Mom and Grammy too!

Peace,

Grammy SOO:D

Proud mother of KimiSoo

Proud Grammy of Lainie

Thanks TropicalSnowflake. I have heard that about the Sit N Stroll on several reviews. The strap I had made was pretty much like the Traveling Toddler that they sell on Amazon.com. It got 25 five star reviews out of 36. Not bad! And most of the negative reviews were because they paid almost $20 for something that cost maybe $2 to make! (the Sit N Stroll only got 13 five stars out of 55 reviews!) If this hadn't worked or didn't feel secure when I tested it, I would have spent the $$$ and got the Sit N Stoll.

Ryanic...First of all...you really need to READ what you are posting and the whole post that you are replying to!!

And BTW....this is "Cruise Critic" not "let's act like a child and call people names who disagree with me." :rolleyes:

....She called all of us in the office over to see that picture of your baby being pulled around on the back of a suitcase. We were all horrified that you would do that. The idea is great. It is an excellent idea to haul the car seat. It is not an excellent idea to actually have the baby in it. There are too many things that could happen on accident. Your child should be where you can see her constantly not just by turning your head every little while.

... Hello there SueKayL is it not okay for someone to have an opinion that differs from yours or your daughters. You sound like a peach. NOT! I am glad I don't know you and HOPE to the high heavnes I NEVER meet you.

It is okay to have an opinion that differs from someone else, but it is NOT okay to namecall and call a mother irresposible because you don't like her solution to traveling with a car seat and a toddler in tow. It was entirely possible for you to express your safety concerns without lamb basting the poster. Moreover, the "peach" comment is pretty petty.

Frankly, I would have to assume that you are from a generation that isn't as familiar with car seat specifics -- the poster described using D-Rings connectors to the LATCH system -- this would be VERY secure. In addition, there are many modes of carrying children, such as a wagon or a backpack in which the child is behind the parent.

I am truly sorry that you feel the need to be hurtful towards other people. I sincerely hope your communication skills are better face to face.

It is okay to have an opinion that differs from someone else, but it is NOT okay to namecall and call a mother irresposible because you don't like her solution to traveling with a car seat and a toddler in tow. It was entirely possible for you to express your safety concerns without lamb basting the poster. Moreover, the "peach" comment is pretty petty.

Frankly, I would have to assume that you are from a generation that isn't as familiar with car seat specifics -- the poster described using D-Rings connectors to the LATCH system -- this would be VERY secure. In addition, there are many modes of carrying children, such as a wagon or a backpack in which the child is behind the parent.

I am truly sorry that you feel the need to be hurtful towards other people. I sincerely hope your communication skills are better face to face.

And I would also make another assumption that since Ryanic mentioned "Another poster who is a regular at CC" who works in her office, I am going to venture a guess that the regular poster didn't have the guts to post what she thought so she fired up Ryanic enough to do it. OR, Ryanic is a second posting name for someone else who doesn't want to use their real post name. Hmmmmmm...this is getting interesting. ;)

I am always leery of anyone who has belonged to CC for a long time but has never posted until they want to come and say something mean. That name *may be* just a cover for a regular CC poster.

Ignore the comments. Anyone who knowns anything about CURRENT car seat safety knows that products like that are popping up all over the place and being used by hundreds of thousands of parents

I think it's a great way to pull the carseat. Personally, I wouldn't pull my child behind me, but that's just me....I'm a bit of a worry wart when it comes to my little one, she's a bit rambunctious and knowing her she'd figure out a way to unbuckle herself and jump out :eek: LOL....so I keep my eye on her at all times...but what works for someone else if fine w/me.

Actually that "THING" is exactly like the "Sit N Stroll" that thousands of parents are paying hundreds of dollars for to travel with their kids. I think it's great that someone was able to come up with an alternative to the $300 Sit N Stroll. Irresponsible? No way! Ingenious is more like it! :)

Right now the Sit n Stroll is $153 or $189 (buy it now) on Ebay. 4 years ago I paid $165. I don't believe I've seen one for $300! Even Amazon has it for $249.99. I've used it for 4 years - I travel quite a bit. It's been one of my better investments.

I have luggage that's not cheap but not high end. Atlantic Infinity is the type. I would be very uncomfortable hanging my childs car seat on my luggage, as it can "tip" every once in a while.

JMHO.

Right now the Sit n Stroll is $153 or $189 (buy it now) on Ebay. 4 years ago I paid $165. I don't believe I've seen one for $300! Even Amazon has it for $249.99. I've used it for 4 years - I travel quite a bit. It's been one of my better investments.

I have luggage that's not cheap but not high end. Atlantic Infinity is the type. I would be very uncomfortable hanging my childs car seat on my luggage, as it can "tip" every once in a while.

JMHO.

That what I was looking at, the new ones at Amazon plus shipping. I didn't factor the exact amount when I posted, I was just trying to say that the price is a far cry from making one yourself.

And I just checked ebay. The Buy It Now for the new ones are $189 but SEVENTY dollars shipping. Ebay sellers have a way to hide the actual cost of the product.

That what I was looking at, the new ones at Amazon plus shipping. I didn't factor the exact amount when I posted, I was just trying to say that the price is a far cry from making one yourself.

And I just checked ebay. The Buy It Now for the new ones are $189 but SEVENTY dollars shipping. Ebay sellers have a way to hide the actual cost of the product.

It depends on the shipper/ebayer. I paid 17.50. (yeah I saved the receipt - neurotic i know!)

All you have to do is read the whole ad (I didn't) this time. They don't "hide" shipping costs its right there. The one at $153 has $12.54 shipping to my area code. The range is up to $72 with most in the 20-30 dollar range.

A woman rents these harnesses thru ebay. Don't have all the info, but she seems to know what she is doing! I found out about it too late for a trip I was taking, but it sounds like a great idea for those 22-44 pounds!!!! Just go on eBay and search for "harnesses"

They don't "hide" shipping costs

I didn't say they hide the shipping cost I said they try to hide the actual cost. Here's why. On ebay the seller has to pay a percentage of the sale but NOT the shipping cost. So what certain ebay sellers started doing was to make the shipping cost an outrageous amount so they could profit from the shipping cost and not owe a percentage back to ebay. Make sense?

I shop off ebay alot. But you just have to watch the shipping.

I didn't say they hide the shipping cost I said they try to hide the actual cost. Here's why. On ebay the seller has to pay a percentage of the sale but NOT the shipping cost. So what certain ebay sellers started doing was to make the shipping cost an outrageous amount so they could profit from the shipping cost and not owe a percentage back to ebay. Make sense?

I shop off ebay alot. But you just have to watch the shipping.

That is so true--people bid on something that priced at only 99 cents or even a penny, only to then find out shipping is $20!! Or if there are a lot of that item, they price it lower than everyone else's and jack up the shipping. I hate the shipping scam. Ebay used to be more fun (not like that's really stopped my addiction).

I think the band and sit and stroll are good ideas, but like a PP, i'm too nervous to have DS behind me where I can't see him (although i'm fairly sure no debris will hit him in the face). But, he's a great escape artist and has escaped his car seat while on the highway so i couldn't do the band around the luggage thing. It's extremely creative though!

I have the airplane harness and that was great for us. he enjoyed sitting like a grownup in the plane seat. But, that is so not going to work for taxis, etc. Anyone use any other more portable model of carseat? I saw the Eddie Bauer one, it's a possibility. It got bad review on Amazon but I'm not sure I trust some of the review--anyone with personal experince on the "slip-slidey-ness" of the Eddie Bauer (one of the complaints was that it tended to slip and slide around--don't know if reviewers just didn't properly install or what).

I bought the Eddie Bauer seats on Michelle's recommendation, and used them for our trip to London. They work great. If they're installed correcly, they don't slip around - you just have to go slow and do it right. Clearly, they're not nearly as safe as regular car seats in an accident, but they will keep a toddler secure and are a great solution for travel.

Best,

Mia

It got bad review on Amazon but I'm not sure I trust some of the review--anyone with personal experince on the "slip-slidey-ness" of the Eddie Bauer (one of the complaints was that it tended to slip and slide around--don't know if reviewers just didn't properly install or what).

Mia is right, you have to REALLY work to install it properly. I wouldn't use it for my normal car seat...lol...but to ride in a taxi on vacation is fine.

Archived