Cell Phone Question

HypnotikHunni3

I know during a cruise you're charged x amount per minute because the cell phones are using Carnival's tower, but what about text messaging? If I have unlimited text messaging will I now be charged to send and receive text messages? I know it's a weird question but I text more than I talk on the phone anyway and was wondering if it would still be free. Thanks!:)

I know during a cruise you're charged x amount per minute because the cell phones are using Carnival's tower, but what about text messaging? If I have unlimited text messaging will I now be charged to send and receive text messages? I know it's a weird question but I text more than I talk on the phone anyway and was wondering if it would still be free. Thanks!:)

Check with your cell provider. Many have commented that they werent able to use txt messaging while on the ship.

I just called my cell provider about that very thing! I have AT&T, formerly Cingular. The rep said that while I am on the ship or outside the mainland U.S., any text messages either sent or received will be a $.50 charge each. I have pre-programmed text alerts that I must cancel, and I will tell my friends NOT to text me unless I text them first! Hope this info helps.:)

Or just turn off the phone and leave it in the safe. What did you do before you had it? :confused:

Exactly.

I'm not gonna lie, me and my partner are txting whores and the thought

of being away from it for a few day excites me.

Ahhhh, vacation!!

YOUR cell company will charge the $.50 but what about the international waters tower charge? Just asking?

Strange because I called AT&T about this today also.

Yes it is 50 cents per TM on the ship. The $2.49/minute is only for voice calls. Text is a data transmission. Using Internet connection on your phone onboard is .0195/KB or something like that. Cheaper to get a per minute plan on the ship.

If you make a call onboard the tower will know where you are and if your phone is left on and you get a call and let it go to VM you will still get hit with the $2.49/minute charge even for the length of the VM so turn off the phone or put it into "airplane mode".

Archived