Sovereign in Feb - Passport required?

mringenoldus

Is there a TA or travel expert out there that can tell me......

My adult kids are going on the western Caribbean route in Feb 2008. Will they need passports for this cruise? Do active duty military with IDs need passports also?

Thanks!

PassPorts are not needed until Summer 08, so NO a BC & DL or gov. issued ID will be all they will need. Kids under 16 only need BC.

I checked a few sites and can not find any info regarding Military ID's, maybe someone else will be able to help you with that question.

My .02?

they may or may not *need* them - but if they have them, they will have zero worries.

My recommendation, always, is going to be to get the passport. It doesn't hurt to have it, it makes life so much easier, and it's good for 10 years. There's no reason not to get it.

While Homeland Security is not requiring passports until sometime during the summer of 2008, exact date has not been set, most of the cruise lines are requiring them for all sailings that end after 1/1/08. Check with your specific cruise line for details.

As far as Active Military I.D.'s are concerned, it is my understanding that they carry the same credibility as a passport (only the military personnel, not dependent I.D.'s).

As far as Active Military I.D.'s are concerned, it is my understanding that they carry the same credibility as a passport (only the military personnel, not dependent I.D.'s).

Military ID's only carry the same credibility as passports when an active duty service member is traveling with orders. Once the WHTI is fully implemented, service members traveling for personal reasons like vacation will need to present a passport. Currently a Military ID is the equivalent of a DL and BC when traveling for personal reasons.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/whti_ls_faq.ctt/whti_ls_faq.pdf

Archived