Cruise Certificate from a Time Share

Has anyone ever used one of those cruise certificates from a time share presentation? I have two of them and I am not sure if it is worth the hoops. Basically, it looks like you send in $225 and the certificate and they will send you a voucher that you can use for a 3 or 4 day cruise out of Galveston, LA or Miami on either RCI or Carnival. If you want to go durring peak times (summer, spring break, christmas, new years etc.), there are extra charges.

I have gone in January before on a 5 day for only $200 a person, but still not for $112 a person! It looks like it will be a pain, but it should be a good deal.

Have any of you ever used one of these certificates? What was your experience with it?

I just got a voucher from RCI for up to $1200 of a cruise. Problem being I checked a cruise I wanted to go on and all of RCI prices were the same as RCCL web site with the exception of the GS - it was $600 less. I would like to book the GS but I am not into pay over $2600 a person for a cruise.

Ann:(

I just got a voucher from RCI for up to $1200 of a cruise. Problem being I checked a cruise I wanted to go on and all of RCI prices were the same as RCCL web site with the exception of the GS - it was $600 less. I would like to book the GS but I am not into pay over $2600 a person for a cruise.

Ann:(

Did you trade your timeshare week into RCI in order to get the voucher for the cruise? I have heard of this and wondered how it works. Are all weeks given the same voucher amount as you? And then do u have to book it thru RCI or can u turn the voucher into the cruise line and have it applied toward payment? Thanks for the info:)

I got that exact voucher from a time share sales pitch (man I need to stop going to these). Anyway, I just pitched it in the garbage. It was not worth all the hassle and confusion of it. You send in money, then for peak times which looked like most of the year you send in more money. They said that they cannot guarentee the exact date or dates you selected or the ship or line you want. I said, no way. Forget it. Not worth it for me anyways.

DH has bought a couple of these. We gave one sat to my dad and his wife while they were still alive, and another to DH's parents. Both sets of parents attended the sales pitch (and said it wasn't a big deal) and both had great times on their cruises. This was years ago before we could afford to pay the going rate for anyone to cruise...and they could not have afforded it either. We never got to cruise ourselves until 2003.

I think that Cot427 got the same one as me. It was really restrictive, but for $200 I can be flexible. The thing is, I have been able to find these certificates on craigslist all day long. People start asking for hundreds of dollars for them, but I have been able to talk them down to about $10 to $20. While I can afford to go on my own, for $225 + another $20 for the certificate per couple my wife and I could cruise for stretches at a time. I would hope to fill every possible one in their cheap list. :)

Archived