Differences between British and American English

calikak

Did you know that one of the Mizzizzippi Ztern-wheeled Paddle Zteamerz was built in Zcotland?

David

OK you win, I concede, I can't follow Mizzizzippi!! But that's really interesting zo (sorry) - so - I'm packing in the z thing. I presume that would be Delta King or Delta Queen (or possibly both). I think one of them still exists but I'm not sure which. There seems to be some debate about where they were actually built though. Some sources say Denny's at Dumbarton and others say Isherwoods of Glasgow. Have I got the names right and do you have any better info on the builders?

Jimmy

PS - zorry. After I read that lazt pozt again it zounded way too zenzible, zo I've decided to reinztate the ztatuz quo.

Zince "Z" iz zo uzeful, I've decided to dizpenze with "th" alzo.

Given ze direction zat ziz zread haz taken, would it be pozzible for our colonial couzinz to zet up lecturez by ze Zeabeez?

zzzzzzzzzz

David

Zince "Z" iz zo uzeful, I've decided to dizpenze with "th" alzo.

Wow, that's a terrific idea! But why don't we take it to it's logical conclusion and just replace all the other consonants with Z's. It would be much easier to type everything and would save masses of wear and tear on the keyboards. Here's a little example

Present cumbersome, labour intensive system:

"If we did, all the posts would look something like this"

New, reduced effort, minimal keyboard wear system:

“Iz ze ziz, azz zze zozzz zouzz zooz zozezzizz zize zziz”

Just a thought.

Anyway, my brain is making funny buzzing noises, the voices have started up again, and my head hurts. I think I'll go to bed - if it hasn't been hijacked by the cat.

Jimmy

Pardon me Ma'am, but you sound like a nice sensible person. Could you direct me back to a saner part of this board?

Thanks,

Jimmy

There's a saner part of the world than this??? Did I miss something? Do I have a life??? Is there life after Cruise Critic? Will I like it? Does it drift? :rolleyes:

Stick with me Jimmy...we'll find someplace!!:eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Not quite. Streaky bacon is still served soft, whereas American bacon is very crisp (or at least it is on the QE2).

Not all Americans like their bacon crisp. Some like it crisp. Some ,like it sort of soft and greasy,(or greazy if you prefer) and some like it burnt (ugh) But it is belly bacon and not back bacon. And Center cut tends to be more lean and less fat.

and Southerners (who are not called Yanks, if you value your life) like country ham, which is a whole 'nother topic! Oh, and we season things with fatback or MMM-mm! Lots of bacon drippings! The first time I had green beans (haricots verts for you Frenchies) without bacon drippings, I said, "Daddy" these beans are really great! What did they season them with?" He contemptuously spat out the answer, "Absolutely NOTHING" You've never had green beans without bacon drippings in them! It was too funny!

I had been in England for 4 weeks. You will find many many more words that we never thought of being different in England than America. For example street musicians are called Buskers, or that they are busking.

Many words are spelled with a S instead of a Z that we Americans use.

Also nothing like a good bowl of Chili served with a bowl of rice, that I had ordered on QM2 for a lunch time snack.

Mysteryfan

Actually, plenty of Americans use the term buskers. I think it depends on whether there is a lively busking traditions, such as San Francisco. At one time Hartford CT was actively promoting it as an arts initiative that also created jobs for some people.

So we have been known to engage in Busking around here.

Karie,

who has never been a busker, but remembers her favorite, the juke box man in San Francisco down near Ghirardelli Square. you put your money in the slot (It was a cardboard box decorated with lots of songs) for the song you want (and there were lots of them) and a guy inside the box (did I say it was a BIG box?) played the song for you! And he was really good, too!

P.S. Did you have trouble getting the chili with rice? It's making me hungry!

Where Happyscot goes...............

I try not to follow!!

JC

Yeah, I find him hard to follow sometimes too! <LOL>

Thank you kind lady. You are a liferaft of sanity in a stormy sea of cyber lunacy.

Uh, Jimmy, Watch it when you get involved with Penny and Liferafts!

Trust me on this one!

Karie,

who knows all about Miss Penny and her life rafts!

Lemonade is some sort of fizzy clear soft drink (if I'm not mistaken) in the UK. In the US, it's lemon juice & sugar (or other sweetener), and water.

I don't know why, but I tend to use the British spellings for cancelled, travelled, etc... I'm not British. I've never lived anywhere but in the USA. Maybe it's all that Monty Python I watched in college (er, university?).

Lemonade is some sort of fizzy clear soft drink (if I'm not mistaken) in the UK. In the US, it's lemon juice & sugar (or other sweetener), and water.

Lemonade (UK) = Sprite, 7 UP, lemon lime soda etc. (US)

When ordering (for example) a Vodka and Sprite in the UK, ask for a Vodka and lemonade!

When ordering (for example) a Scotch and Sprite in the UK, ask for a Scotch and lemonade!

When ordering (for example) a Gin and Sprite in the UK, ask for a Gin and lemonade!

Etc., Etc.,

That's very important... especially in UK pubs (most cruise ships and international hotels will be able to translate your request, but local pubs, especially outside of London might not have a clue what is meant by "Sprite" "Seven Up" "Lemon-Lime Soda".... this is simply "Lemonade"!)

And note too, a popular lite drink in the UK is called a "Shandy" = 50% Ale plus 50% lemonade, usually quaffed in half-pints by ladies, although enjoyed by gentlemen too, in pints of course! (all references are to "Imperial Pints" = 20 fluid ounces!)

Uh, Jimmy, Watch it when you get involved with Penny and Liferafts!

Trust me on this one!

Karie,

who knows all about Miss Penny and her life rafts!

Awww Karie..what a spoilsport! You know full well that Malcolm swore he'd be a gentleman and I can tell that Mr Jimmy is a true gentleman too!! ;)

Jimmy, I only used life rafts to prolong my stay onboard QM2...now that's not too delusional is it? For someone who hangs out on these boards that is!! :rolleyes:

So then, we're in the "stormy sea of cyber lunacy" eh? I wondered where this was...it looked vaguely familiar in a dark sort of way...all that muuurrr-duuurrr and everything. Ah well....life is short...eat dessert first I say!! Worry about where you are after!:eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

......and I can tell that Mr Jimmy is a true gentleman too!! ;)

Wow Penny,

I've never been accused of that before. Still, as they say, there's a first time for everything.

Jimmy, I only used life rafts to prolong my stay onboard QM2...now that's not too delusional is it? For someone who hangs out on these boards that is!! :rolleyes:

Anything that could prolong a stay on either of the Queens could only be considered the epitome of rational behaviour. Nevertheless, I'm intrigued to know what happened. Don't feel compelled to respond though - the old maxim holds good in these cases, viz: "There's no such thing as an indiscrete question. Only indiscrete answers" :)

...eat dessert first I say!! Worry about where you are after!:eek:

Personally, I would eat it first, last and everywhere in between. I constantly have to explain to Maureen that "leaving room for dessert" is a ludicrously daft idea as it is a firmly established anatomical fact that the human body has two entirely separate digestive systems, namely one for dessert and one for everything else, so there should never be a problem. In the course of a field trial consisting of 15 consecutive five course dinners on the QE2 I think I did medical science a major favour by providing conclusive proof of that concept.

Yeah, I find him hard to follow sometimes too! <LOL>

Karie,

reminds me of my very favourite entry in an officer's confidential report (that's a sort of annual staff report or performance assessment that they all get). Under "Leadership" the Commanding Officer had written: "his men would follow him anywhere - but only out of a misplaced sense of curiosity".

J

Archived