Cuban Food

hockeypapa

There are others; but most agree that http://www.elsiboneyrestaurant.com is the best on the island.

Mike:)

That is definitely our favorite! I like the Ropa Vieja, but I think I'll try their Cuban Mix sandwich next month. They have really good sangria, too. Just a heads up, they don't take credit cards.

For the BEST Cuban food, you MUST try El Meson De Pepe. Check out their website. They have a great menu, and it's right off Mallory Square!! You can eat inside or outside. The prices are good, and the food is GREAT!!! I went to Key West last year for 4 days, and we ate there twice. The pork was delicious and the plantains were really good too!!!

http://www.elmesondepepe.com/

We've eaten at both and thought El Meson de Pepe was good (but overpriced) until we ate at El Siboney -- the food is better there and the prices are better, too (carafe of sangria $18 at EMdP vs. $10.95 at ES). El Siboney is more of a locals' favorite; El Meson de Pepe is more of a tourist spot -- because of the location, and the prices reflect that.

We've eaten at both and thought El Meson de Pepe was good (but overpriced) until we ate at El Siboney -- the food is better there and the prices are better, too (carafe of sangria $18 at EMdP vs. $10.95 at ES). El Siboney is more of a locals' favorite; El Meson de Pepe is more of a tourist spot -- because of the location, and the prices reflect that.

You are exactly right cruisemom. One is a tourist place and the other simply a great local's spot that welcomes tourists.

Mike:)

Just a little tidbit about El Siboney - in the 40's it was just a cuban sandwich bar outside of the house - I was a just a young teen when my mom would take my sister and I there since our biggest meal of the day was at noon and something simple in the afternoon - El Siboney has just been sold so hope that the tradition still carrys on.

Another good cuban food that has more locals than El Siboney is Jose's Cantina on White Street ----http://www.foodreference.com/html/k-joses-cantina.html

always

Shirley

an ol' conch of 5 generations

the link I gave was wrong on Jose Cantina - here is information on it

Jose’s Cantina (Cuban Restaurant)

800 White Street, Key West, Florida

Phone: (305) 296-4366

Hours: 8am - 10pm - Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Eat-In and Take-Out

Price Range: Low Moderate

Archived