Stupid Question: Do kids have to order items off of Kid Menu???

momofmn00

My hubby and I have a big disagreement in regards to ordering food on the cruise ship. He says, "don't order it unless you plan on eating all of it." I say, "order it and see if you like it." It has been an ongoing struggle between us on all of our cruises (about 5 or 6 of them). Our son will be 4 years-old on his first cruise. I'm already dreading hubby laying into him about eating everything on his plate. Ugh...

If it were only me I would say have the kids order anything they want. They are on a cruise and that is one of the perks!

Cheryl

My hubby and I have a big disagreement in regards to ordering food on the cruise ship. He says, "don't order it unless you plan on eating all of it." I say, "order it and see if you like it." It has been an ongoing struggle between us on all of our cruises (about 5 or 6 of them). Our son will be 4 years-old on his first cruise. I'm already dreading hubby laying into him about eating everything on his plate. Ugh...

Cheryl

I would have a quiet talk with your waiter right off the bat about how your husband feels, and I'm sure he will understand and for the sake of a peaceful meal, arrange for very small portions to be brought out, and then your son can always ask for more of what he likes. Usually they just bring set portions because the meals are automatically plated that way for the sake of speed, but they'll do anything they can to make your meal enjoyable.

Best,

Mia

If it were only me I would say have the kids order anything they want. They are on a cruise and that is one of the perks!

Cheryl

The "clean plate" club concept of eating is one of the reasons this country has problems with obesity, and bulimia and other eating disorders. Have a private talk with DH prior to your cruise and let him know that you don't feel that doing battle over food is healthy. Come up with some rules that you can both agree to -- if DS orders something he has to try at least 3 bites of each item on his plate.

You need to strike a balance - you don't want your kid to play it safe the rest of his life - being afraid to order anything other than the chicken fingers - so make it safe and happy for him to try new things. You also can't just say - "it's ok that you've decided now before even trying this that you don't like it so you don't have to" - it is irresponsible and wasteful.

Mia's idea about asking for smaller portions is also very practical.

The "clean plate" club concept of eating is one of the reasons this country has problems with obesity, and bulimia and other eating disorders. Have a private talk with DH prior to your cruise and let him know that you don't feel that doing battle over food is healthy. Come up with some rules that you can both agree to -- if DS orders something he has to try at least 3 bites of each item on his plate.

You need to strike a balance - you don't want your kid to play it safe the rest of his life - being afraid to order anything other than the chicken fingers - so make it safe and happy for him to try new things. You also can't just say - "it's ok that you've decided now before even trying this that you don't like it so you don't have to" - it is irresponsible and wasteful.

Mia's idea about asking for smaller portions is also very practical.

You just saved me a lot of typing. Very well said! :)

Archived