Help! Stingray city tour Private vs Carnival

knight2096

Hi, we will be in Grand Cayman from 7:00Am to 2:00pm sailing on Carnival Inspiration. We want to book a private tour to stingray city but we are scared we will either get there too late (between tendering and not being let off the ship on time ) or that we will not make it back to the ship on time :eek: . I know Grand Cayman time will actually be 6:00AM to 1:00 pm which makes the problem more confusing. Has anybody sailed on the Inspiration and docked in Grand Cayman at these times and used a private tour or would it be safer to go trough Carnival. Any advice or recommendations we be greatly a appreciated. Oh yeah is the Carnival stingray city tour as bad as they say. :confused:

I have many of the same questions and concerns you do so I hope people answer them for you. Someone in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=621013 mentioned twice that private tour visitors have to wait to get off the ship after the people who booked through the cruise line. That has me worried.

I'm sailing carnival too. For our Cayman Island stop it looks like there are at least 8 choices for excursions for Stingray City/Sandbar. Here's what they offer for Valor next week:

-Allura Catamaran Sail To Stingray City Sandbar

-Coral Reef & Stingray Safari

-Ray Runner Stingray City Snorkel Tour

-Stingray City Snuba

-Stingray City & Island Tour

-Stingray Sandbar & Rum Point Beach Extravaganza

-Stingray Sandbar Tour

-Stingray Sandbar, Hell & Turtle Farm Experience

Do you know which one of these you heard were bad? I thought the Ray Runner one looked really cool but its pricey.

Last time we were in the Caymens we did a private tour and it was great and even had time to shop and got back to the boat way before it left and what it cost for two of us was less than what it cost on the ship for one and by the time we got to the stingrays everyone else had left so we had all of them to ourselves. It was awesome.

The biggest issue with Stingray City tours is the number of people on the boat - if you get on a cattleboat then guess what - you're one of the cattle. I'm talking about boats with >100 people. It aint pretty and IMO a waste of your time and money.

Book a private tour provided they can guarantee your return with at least one hour or more to spare. Soto's does a decent tour and I believe has one at 9:30am so should meet your time line. They cater to cruise ship passengers.

Check to see how many other ships are in port that day so you will get some idea of the time it will take to get tendered in since they will split the number of tender boats between all the ships.

When we were there last month Capt Bryans had a special early tour to accomodate those on your ship. They were very aware of the time and we all were back at the dock on time no problem (we were on the Liberty and we were leaving later, so we hit 7Mile Beach for awhile). We really liked the tour. It was an easy walk from the ship and they took us out and we we saw the rays for about 1/2 an hour or so and then snorkeled the reef for anothe 1/2 hour. It was really a nice morning tour. Also when they drop you back at the pier there is shopping right there and accross the street you can hit some of the touristy things like Jimmy Buffets and the duty free shops etc. The tour we did for the early morning with Capt. Bryan was the Hannibal Catamaran. Check out their site for the special times. Also, we booked by ourselves and it was MUCH less than others had paid who booked through the ship. Also, the commuication and confirmation process before we left was excellent. We just booked thru their website.

Just logged into my Carnival profile to see if they have updated our stop to replace costa maya and i noticed our shore excursions now have prices for the Stingrays and island tour it is 65 dollars a person and nativeway-watersports it 60 so there is no real price benefit but personal i would pay the same if not more to be on a boat with 20 instead of 120.

just thought i would share

Double Nickel--

I'll looking to book with moby dick tours too. The only question I have is that on their website it says $35 pp but you said you got it for $25. It would be GreaT if it was only $25 for my fiance and I! Please let me know how you got this price! Thanks.

Archived