Zeebrugge to Berlin- 9/29/07

NikkiOh

We're going on Jewel OTS western Europe cruise leaving 9/24/07. We would like to take the ICE train from Brugge to Berlin on our own, and get a bus tour or hop on/off once we're there. Anyone have suggestions? RCII wants over $300. for this excursion! We want to see Brandenburg, Checkpoint Charlie, & a few others.

Nikki

Going on Jewel OTS Western Europe on 9/24/07. Ship's excursion is quite pricey. We'd like to take the ICE(hi-speed) train to Berlin (1-1/2 hrs) on our own. There we could get a tour company or take the hop on-off bus which covers a lot of sights - more than that of the cruise line.

Anyone have suggestions or experience with this? The trains are supposed to be terrific.

Thanks,

Nikki:o

If you haven't already you may want to post your question on the Ports of Call board for Europe/Northern Europe & Baltic. You'll probably get more answers to your question there.

Hope you enjoy your cruise! Jewel of the Seas is one of my favorite ships.

hi, you may want to look at www.raileurope.com for some background research.......... Zeebrugge in Belgium is about 800 kms (500 miles) from Berlin. The german ICE trains are high speed trains operating between major cities - Zeebrugge/Bruges would need connections to a major city and I think time and distance would make this a problem

I really wonder if an excursion from Zeebrugge (Belgium) is offered to Berlin (Germany).

As far as I know there is no direct trainconnections between those cities.

Are you sure about those places??

JEWEL OF THE SEAS is calling Hamburg on Sep 29, 2007.

It's a Saturday.

Therefore you should just visit

http://www.bahn.de for the best bargain.

Starts from 29,00 EUR one way. But the sooner you the better the chance to get discounted ticket.

Please check the WARNEMÜNDE-Thread in Northern Europe for Berlin-Tips.

You just leave the ship and take Bus Metroline 6 to Hamburg Central Station (it's about 10-15 minutes).

From Central Station you can take ICE or IC trains to Berlin. The run every hour.

From Berlin Central Station this might be helpful for you:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/BerlinGuide.pdf

As you are leaving 2 am the next morning you have chance to see it all you want to see.

Check here for HO-HO-Bus:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/Bvg/Detail/folder/612/id/66686/nb/1/name/%22Top+Tour%22+sightseeing+in+Berlin+on+an+open-roofed+double-decker+bus

Take a city tour card:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/Bvg/Detail/folder/944/id/106044/nb/1/name/CityTourCard+premium

The Berlin Tourist Office is just located at the exit towards EUROPAPLATZ and can give you full support once you are arrived.

A very good connection will be

8.51 hrs dep from Am Dahlmannkai/SAP Bus Metroline 6

9.02 hrs arr at Hamburg Hbf (Central Station)

2007HHGeneral2-vi.jpg

This picture was taken from the JUWEL OF THE SEAS while she was in Hamburg at the Cruise Center. Left there is a dark building (SAP). Just behind the building there is the bus stop.

This is the first bus connection. Maybe you should use a taxi if you have not prebooked the train and have online tickets.

9.17 hrs dep from Hamburg Hbf (Central Station) ICE

10.51 hrs arr at Berlin Hbf

23.00 hrs dep from Berlin Hbf ICE

0.33 hrs arr at Hamburg Hbf

Take a cab back to the cruise terminal.

Discounted return tickets are currently available for 58,00 EUR pp.

HAVE FUN IN BERLIN and HAMBURG!

WILLKOMMEN IN DEUTSCHLAND!

WELCOME TO GERMANY!

HeinBloed

We want to take the train from Hamburg to Berlin on Sept. 29 - Jewel OTS cruise. I heard there was a skateboarders rally that day with thousands in Berlin. Will that tie up traffic or transportation? We'd like to take the hop-on-hop-off bus to see Brandenburg, C.P.Charlie, Jewish Museum and whatever time will allow. Will we have a problem getting around or getting back to the train station? Also, what is the cheapest ICE train to take on a Saturday? Also, should we buy any special card for transdportation in Berlin or entrance fees?

Thanks to all with suggestions. Nikki

We want to take the train from Hamburg to Berlin on Sept. 29 - Jewel OTS cruise. I heard there was a skateboarders rally that day with thousands in Berlin. Will that tie up traffic or transportation? We'd like to take the hop-on-hop-off bus to see Brandenburg, C.P.Charlie, Jewish Museum and whatever time will allow. Will we have a problem getting around or getting back to the train station? Also, what is the cheapest ICE train to take on a Saturday? Also, should we buy any special card for transdportation in Berlin or entrance fees?

Thanks to all with suggestions. Nikki

We want to tour Hamburg on Sunday, Sept. 30. Are most sights open or closed? What are your suggestions?

Why not reading the answers before asking again???

Check here for events and attractions:

http://www.btm.de/index.en.php?

You choosed the best day you can get: it's Berlin Marathon on Saturday/Sunday. It's the same like in New York - you'll not have access to sights alongside of the route.

http://www.real-berlin-marathon.com/events/berlin_marathon/2007/index.en.php

I would definately go on Saturday as there is less and especially as there the shops are open.

http://www.real-berlin-marathon.com/events/berlin_marathon/2007/strecke.en.php

Most of the attractions are closed once in a week but not the Sunday or Saturday - that's same in Hamburg or Berlin.

I do not think that the HoHo-Buses will operate on Saturday a whole day - just until early afternoon.

The cheapest train ticket is 29.00 EUR pp one way subject to availability if you book it online. Just read my answers before.

Regards,

HeinBloed

N. B. I would read my itinery with more care:

Your ship is leaving in the night of the September 29/30, 2007 at 2.00 am the port of Hamburg.

How would you like to make a shore excursion to Hamburg on Sunday September 30, 2007???

Be sure: It does not mean that you leave the night September 30/October 01, 2007 at 2.00 am and be in Amsterdam at 7.00 am in the Morning of October 1:

You just need the five hours to get back on the open sea from the port of Hamburg.

So forget the Sunday in your planning.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

Thank you so much for this clarification. I did misinterpret the itinerary! Now we're having second thoughts about Berlin on Saturday because of the marathon. Do you think the ship's excursion to Berlin will be affected as far as getting to the sights? We thought we'd be safer with them instead of on our own with all that congestion, but we don't want to be shortchanged on what they will be able to get to.

Thanks again!

Nikki

HeinBloed,

Thank you so much for this clarification. I did misinterpret the itinerary! Now we're having second thoughts about Berlin on Saturday because of the marathon. Do you think the ship's excursion to Berlin will be affected as far as getting to the sights? We thought we'd be safer with them instead of on our own with all that congestion, but we don't want to be shortchanged on what they will be able to get to.

Thanks again!

Nikki

O. K. Do it this way:

DO NOT USE THE HO-HO BUS.

When you arrive in Berlin you do not get off at Berlin Central Station but

BERLIN GESUNDBRUNNEN.

Download this map:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/Common/Document/field/file/id/1398

Once you arrive in Berlin buy a day pass AB for 6.10 EUR - see here:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/Bvg/Detail/folder/767/rewindaction/Index/id/106039/name/Day+Ticket

You change here to S1, S2, S25.

Take ANY TRAIN going Wannsee, Blakenfelde, Teltow-bound

to UNTER DEN LINDEN.

This station serves Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Holocaust Memorial, Unter den Linden.

Continue S1, S2, S25 to POTSDAMER PLATZ

From here it's a walk of abt. 12 minutes to Checkpoint Charlie.

Alternatively take ANY S1, S2, S25 services Oranienburg, Bernau or Henningsdorf-bound to

FRIEDRICHSTRASSE

change to U6 Alt-Mariendorf-bound to

KOCHSTRASSE.

This station is just at the Checkpoint Charlie.

From there it's a 15 minutes walk to Jewish Museum.

From there it's a 10 minutes walk to subway station Hallesches Tor.

Take U6 subway Alt-Tegel bound to Friedrichstrasse and then change to

S5, S7, S9, S75-Services for Westkreuz, Potsdam, Spandau-services and get off at HAUPTBAHNHOF and from here you can take the train back to Hamburg.

That's the chance for you to skip and bypass the marathon-route.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived