Honolulu Things To Do

mildew1951

Id go to Waimeha (sp) Falls and Park up near north shore and do natural things. Take a hike up Diamond Head. Feed the fish in Haunauma (sp) Bay, bring a bag of frozen peas to feed them, they float. Bring some old tennis shoes to get into the water. The coral hurts. No fins for me.

I lived there 10 years but my spelling is horrible. I would NOT do the Polynesian Cultural Center unless someone gives you free tickets. Its run by the Mormom church, they get recruits to the Morman church from Tonga and other islands and offer them a job and college if they agree to convert. Its just too contrived for me.

Get lots of Chinese food, its the real deal in all the little towns. Take the round the island bus from Ala Moana shopping center. I think its $1, might have gone up. Its a 4 hour ride, you can get off and on, just pay another $1. Cheaper than renting a car, you can get anywhere on the bus there, and the bus comes often, every 30 minutes most all day. That way you can see the whole island for $1 except for outlying areas.

Of course spend a day in Waikiki and go thru the shops there, I got my nesiki there, ivory figures, not sure they still sell real ones, but I like the ones I got. They have holes in the back of the carvings for a string to wear for good luck, expensive though. But tons of shops there and lots of fun.

Im still just waking up. But thats what I think of off the top of my head. Where is your hotel? I guess Im not much for the Arizona Memorial either. I like doing nature things.

PS if you are taking the bus and need to change buses to get to somewhere, get a free transfer. You can take the bus for instance from Waikiki to Ala Moana. When you get on at Waikiki ask for a transfer, then when you get to Ala Moana get on the "Circle The Island" Bus (it says circle Island bus on the front with the #). You can circle either direction. I love shopping in ala moana shopping center too, you can get their version of dried fruits, they have a little bit of licorise taste, not sure how to describe it. Get a plate lunch, of course it will have rice lol. Even McDonalds where I was had rice on the big breakfast instead of potatoes.

You cant transfer to the same bus, but you can transfer free (even more than once) to other buses. Thats why I said if you got off the circle island bus say up in north shore, you would have to pay $1 to get back on. Haliewa, is the main town and where everyone stops to buy shave ice up on north short.

In back of Ala Moana shopping center is where all the buses change and go out of almost. So you probably will have to go there to change buses. Ala Moana is in Honolulu, just go to the back of the shopping center, you cant miss it.

Maybe you can find some lau laus, they are wrapped greens with pork or fish inside. I used to go to the fish market to get raw fish which is in chunks local style that you can put hot pepper sauce on. I loved it. Could eat 1/2 lb by myself and Im haouli/white. I loved the local food.

Like I said you can go anywhere on the bus, might be crowded during some peak periods and you have to stand for a while, but it will empty out. Best bus system Iv ever seen in my life.

Id go to Waimeha (sp) Falls and Park up near north shore and do natural things. Take a hike up Diamond Head. Feed the fish in Haunauma (sp) Bay, bring a bag of frozen peas to feed them, they float. Bring some old tennis shoes to get into the water. The coral hurts. No fins for me.

I lived there 10 years but my spelling is horrible. I would NOT do the Polynesian Cultural Center unless someone gives you free tickets. Its run by the Mormom church, they get recruits to the Morman church from Tonga and other islands and offer them a job and college if they agree to convert. Its just too contrived for me.

Get lots of Chinese food, its the real deal in all the little towns. Take the round the island bus from Ala Moana shopping center. I think its $1, might have gone up. Its a 4 hour ride, you can get off and on, just pay another $1. Cheaper than renting a car, you can get anywhere on the bus there, and the bus comes often, every 30 minutes most all day. That way you can see the whole island for $1 except for outlying areas.

Of course spend a day in Waikiki and go thru the shops there, I got my nesiki there, ivory figures, not sure they still sell real ones, but I like the ones I got. They have holes in the back of the carvings for a string to wear for good luck, expensive though. But tons of shops there and lots of fun.

Im still just waking up. But thats what I think of off the top of my head. Where is your hotel? I guess Im not much for the Arizona Memorial either. I like doing nature things.

Thanks for these suggestions. The bus trip round the island sounds interesting. We are staying at Waikiki in the Ohana Waikiki West hotel. We have already booked the Arizona tour and a tradional Luau. We're from Australia and first time in US so anything will be new. Our hotel accommodation includes a 5 day pass on the Waikiki Trolley. Is this the bus you are talking about or is it just a local one around Waikiki?

Here is a link to Waimea Falls. They not only have falls but they had one of a kind flowers they were protecting. Unfortunately a really bad storm wiped out some of these last flowers forever. Im sure they replanted what they could and its really beautiful.

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/waimea_valley_adventure_park.html

If you are coming around from leeward side its past north shore a little. It is special to me.

Id rather do that than a fake lauau. See the real Hawaii.

Here is a link to haunama bay where you can feed the fish. They do not allow fishing, so there are tons of fish, all brightly colored. Like I said they rent snorkeling equipment. Id just wear tennis shoes unless you want to go out into the deeper water. If you are close in there are rocks that the water is pushing you against that you are not supposed to harm.

http://www.thisweek.com/oahu/tour/tour-hanaumabay.html

I think they have changed the rules since Iv been, so you might do some searches...but again...the real hawaii and fish.

While you are there try to have some Ono fish. Ono means delicious. If you get the fish of the day its ALWAYS aku, or dolphin fish which is good but Ono is special. We used to laugh about the fish of the day always being the same. It never changes at the restaurants in Waikiki.

Thanks for these suggestions. The bus trip round the island sounds interesting. We are staying at Waikiki in the Ohana Waikiki West hotel. We have already booked the Arizona tour and a tradional Luau. We're from Australia and first time in US so anything will be new. Our hotel accommodation includes a 5 day pass on the Waikiki Trolley. Is this the bus you are talking about or is it just a local one around Waikiki?

It sounds like a local waikiki bus. Waikiki is basically 3 streets deep, going from the Ocean, so its walkable, but a trolly is a nice feature too.

Try some raw fish if you go to the luau. lomi lomi salmon is always served at a real luau. its bits of salmon with tomato and i think onions? Never made it but I love it. of course the roast pig. lol, we dug a pit in our yard one christmas to roast a pig the real way with rocks and banana leaves. hahahahha.

First - I would rent a car for the 4 days. Oahu is very easy to get around, and just driving around the island is fun. I also highly recommend the World War II memorial - and I would schedule a tour for that (you get preferential seating, entry, etc). That was amazing. If you like orchids, there are some orchid nurseries in Honolulu that are interesting to see, and I ordered a "6 pack" sent back to my home - very cool. I agree with all the other posters - DEFINITELY drive up to the North Shore and Waimea Falls - very cool. Check and see if there are any surfing things going on during the time you're there (we lucked into an X-Box world surfing championship one of the times we were there). Also, on the other side of Oahu, there's a Polynesian Cultural Center that is pretty good. I love Oahu, and it is so easy to drive around. You'll have a great time - and 4 days is PERFECT.... ENJOY!!! Aloha!:D

First - I would rent a car for the 4 days. Oahu is very easy to get around, and just driving around the island is fun. I also highly recommend the World War II memorial - and I would schedule a tour for that (you get preferential seating, entry, etc). That was amazing. If you like orchids, there are some orchid nurseries in Honolulu that are interesting to see, and I ordered a "6 pack" sent back to my home - very cool. I agree with all the other posters - DEFINITELY drive up to the North Shore and Waimea Falls - very cool. Check and see if there are any surfing things going on during the time you're there (we lucked into an X-Box world surfing championship one of the times we were there). Also, on the other side of Oahu, there's a Polynesian Cultural Center that is pretty good. I love Oahu, and it is so easy to drive around. You'll have a great time - and 4 days is PERFECT.... ENJOY!!! Aloha!:D

:eek: Except that you guys drive on the wrong side (or is that the right side) of the road. That would be scary for an Aussie used to driving on the left:o

Thanks for all the info guys and the links. More research to do. Can't wait to get going to some warmer weather.

I was thinking if their hotel is in Waikiki they might not get free parking, as parking is primo in Waikiki. You might check with your hotel how much it costs to park.

As far as the surfing contests. The waves come up from around Thanksgiving to Easter. Thats why all the surfing contests are during the winter season. Before that the waves are too small. So, Im guessing you visited during the winter?

Yes, by all means see the waves during the winter up on north shore. I lived right across from the Pipeline, the famous wave that curls, that you used to see on that Five-O old tv show. But of course you will want to see the famous waves anytime you visit. Ask where Pipeline and Bonzai waves are. They are not too far from each other...and stop there, no matter how you decide to get up there, bus or rental car.

I just came back from Honolulu last week. With so much time I'd rent a car. We were only there for 2 days so we wanted to see as much of Oahu as possible.

We loved Hanauma Bay. It's $1 per car to get in and $5 pp entrance to the park. You can rent snorkel stuff for $6-$9 per person. My big advice-go early before the crowds. You have to view a short video before they let you walk or ride a tram down to the bay. It's beautiful! Lots of fish and coral.

The other day we drove to Diamond Head and then headed out the east coast and up to the north shore. Plenty of places to stop. We loved the roadside shrimp stands.

Once at the north shore, just stop at one of the many beaches. The waves aren't too big this time of year but it's fun to watch the surfers. Also make sure you stop in Hale'iwa and Waialua for the shave ice and tacos (if you can believe it!)

We drove by the Polynesian Culteral Center, we weren't too impressed. It's very expensive.

I don't think I would want to rent a car if it meant driving on the opposite side of the road either.

We took three tours with RobertsHawaii from our cruise ship and were happy with each. The drivers, who are also the tour guides, made the ride interesting and entertaining.

I didn't take this tour myself, but would not hesitate to suggest it based on our experience with other Roberts' tours. For $42USD per person you'll get an eight hour tour with plenty of stops and narration, plus pick up and drop off at your hotel. I think this would be a great way to spend the day seeing Oahu. Having a guide can really enhance the experience.

http://www.robertshawaii.com/oahu/oahu-circle-island.php

I like Roberts. We used them to do the other islands, to island hop as its called. We got the car, flight and hotels/condos from them. In Maui we changed hotels every 2 nights all over the island, to see which ones we liked best. It didnt cost extra but it did mean more packing and unpacking. Kaui we stayed oceanfront in the same hotel the whole time. I think Roberts is a great idea...loved them, never had a complaint. In fact they upgraded us to a convertible once. I decided after that the convertible was worth the extra $10 a day they charged at the time.

We are travelling to Honolulu on 24th September for our cruise on Rhapsody to Sydney on 28th. Given we have 4 days in Honolulu for sightseeing any suggestions what we can do - just 2 couples.:confused:

Suggest you also search for similar threads in the last 2-3 weeks. Someone had posted a very nice list things to do and see for all the islands very recently. Here are my favorites: Hike Diamond Head, Walk to the Makapu'u lighthouse, take a circle island tour/drive (include Hanauma Bay, Blow Hole, Pali Lookout, Puchbowl, North Shore), visit an ukelele factory, go to the Aloha stadium swap meet, visit Peral Harbor, take the docent led tour of 'Iolani Palace. Enjoy. Aloha.

Someone on these threads mentioned ABC Limousine service. I contacted them. We wanted to take a tour around the island, but didn't want to get "herded"on a regular tour.

My DH was in Hawaii 41 years ago on his way to Vietnam. He was only there for 2 days, but didn't really get to see anything, he said he wanted to wait to see all with me (we were engaged at the time).

Well, since DH waited so long to see things on Oahu, I wanted him to see it "in style".

Soooo, we are using this limo that will give us a private Circle tour of the Island and stop at whatever places WE want to stop at, allow us to stay however long we want, ( North Shore, etc.) supply refreshments ( I assume water and soda) for a total of 6 to 61/2 hours for a total of $290 + tip for the driver. Since you are 2 couples, that would come out to about 75 each., which actually is cheaper than NCL charges per person to be "herded" on their Grand circle tour.

Just a suggestion.

• Administrators

Here's a link to the "cheat sheet" -- both the original post and the subsequent ones have really great suggestions for Oahu (and the other islands):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=559081&highlight=cheat+sheet

Four days on Oahu is going to be fun! :)

Here's a link to the "cheat sheet" -- both the original post and the subsequent ones have really great suggestions for Oahu (and the other islands):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=559081&highlight=cheat+sheet

Four days on Oahu is going to be fun! :)

I read over the list, some I agree with, some I dont. I lived local style there and if I went back I wouldnt be eating hamburgers or cheeseburgers, I would be looking for some local food. i didnt see hardly any good suggestions for local style eating. grab a plate lunch with the macroni salad or something how the locals eat if nothing else?

I used to walk up to Sacred Falls almost every day for exercise, but some tourist died being silly and trying to climb up and jump off the rocks instead of enjoying nature that was unprotected by the govt, just how nature made it. Now no one is allowed to go up there, you have to go where tourists are protected from being dumb.

Just go and have fun, all the islands have their own personality.

It's been a number of years since I vacationed on Oahu, but here's what I remember and enjoyed -

We stayed in Makaha which is about 2/3 up the western shore. It's primarily suburbs and condos up there, when we were there at least. We LOVED the beach there - beautiful sand and it's a large cove. Because it's not a tourist place, it was not crowded at all. Many times we had the beach practically to ourselves. The snorkeling was great too. We saw turtles and some dolphins just toodling around on our own in the water.

Diamond Head - Beautiful. It's not the easiest hike in the world if you go all the way, but if you stop for a breather here and there, it's worth it.

Horseback riding - I can't remember which outfit we used (I think it may be Happy Trails but not sure), but it was great. You're up in the hills and we were allowed to let the horses get going some.

Dole Pineapple Plantation - I learned a lot about pineapple that I did not know and it was actually very interesting! Plus, I really loved seeing all the little pineapple plants. :p

As for food, when I was a teenager, I worked for in a restaurant owned by a couple that had lived in Hawaii most of their lives. They introduced me to Saimin soup. If you see it on the menu, I recommend it! Great broth, yummy noodles, and a variety of meat choices.

My husband and I are in Honolulu for one day during our cruise and we are stopping at Sealife Park to swim with the dolphins. If you are interested in that, I know they pick up from Waikiki hotels. I know you are concerned about driving on the other side of the road - I know I couldn't do it! - but if you do get a car, Oahu is really easy to get around. We drove pretty much all around the island in one day and saw lots of things we probably would have missed otherwise.

Have a great trip! :D

Hi Mildew1951

I'm from Australia so can understand where you're coming from with being worried about driving on the other side of the wrong. I'm 24 and the most recent time I've been to Hawaii we've hired a car for the day. I was a bit worried to start with but I really had nothing to be worried about, it was very easy. All you have to do is follow the car in front of you and don't over think things! Besides, you're not tempted to drive on the left side of the road because there's cars coming at you! The only thing we had trouble with was filling up the car with "gas". We had to ask someone... very embarrasing!

There is so much to see and do and it really is a great way to see what the island of Oahu has in store. There are plenty of beautiful lookouts and beaches to stop at, having your own car means you can stop when and where you like. Some of the places to stop include: The Dole Plantation with the worlds largest maze, the North Shore, Waimea Falls, Chinaman's Hat, Kualoa Ranch, Macadamia Nut Farm, Hanuama Bay, Sea Life Park, Blow hole, From here to Eternity Beach plus much much more. Hawaii is in my opinion, very easy to drive around and it's very beautiful.

Also, the rental car company usually gives you two for one coupons when you hire the car! So look for these in the glove box if they forget to tell you! My favourite car rental site is DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com - this is a great site to use if you're also thinking of booking cars on the other islands while on your cruise.

While catching the bus is cheap, personally wouldn't do it. Like I said, the beauty of having a car is stopping when and where you like and doing things are your own pace. Also, sitting on a bus looking out a often dirty tinted window is not my idea of seeing the island. Hire a car, wind the windows down and enjoy the scenery!

Just remember to lock your car and take your valuables. While Hawaii is in my opinion very very safe you can get caught up in it all and having your valuables stolen is not fun!

My father works for Qantas so Hawaii is pretty much a second home to me. If you want details on the best places to shop send me an email at tandgdaley@bigpond.com.au and I'll give you all the tips!

Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

Archived