Travel Insurance Cost for Viking River Cruise

snydsandjoycie

We are admittedly "rookie" cruisers - having taken just two in the last 10 years. We are looking to book a 15 day - 14 night Viking River Cruise from Basel to Antwerp in October 2008. We have been given a quote of $599 each for travel insurance for this trip. Sounds like a lot but is this a reasonable amount to expect? Is this insurance usually some approximate percent of the trip cost? What options might we have?

Thanks in advance for your help!

That does seem really high. Our insurance for our Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise on Avalon this summer was not that expensive.

Try this website www.insuremytrip.com

I think you'll be able to get a better deal and I have heard it is better to NOT use the tour company insurance. If you do a search on here for trip insurance I know you will find a thread that was posted a few months ago on that topic.

Often, the price of the policy (within reason, of course) becomes one of the minor concerns.This is an matter that you probably want to look at very carefully. There are many plans on the market that go from excellent to essentially useless. From our experience (admittedly, we are neophyites as we have had only 8 cruises), the private insurers have better coverage at less cost than the plans offered by the cruise lines. First thing -- when you are looking at plans, look at the fine print! (Normally, you can view the policy on line, or get more info with a phone call to the insurer.) For us, the pre-existing medical condition exclusion clause (as defined by the insurers) is always a concern. Consequently, we are always looking for the pre-existing condition waiver provision. In short, look for the coverage that satisfies most of the circumstances that you feel cause the most concern to you. I realize this doesn't anwer your question! Nevertheless, compare benefits and good luck!!!!

Avie

Archived