Private guides

mdeane

Just wondering if there are any private guides or drivers in Alaska such as in Europe? It is great to be able to go just where you would like and stop when you want without driving. Anyone experienced this?????Thanks

Just wondering if there are any private guides or drivers in Alaska such as in Europe? It is great to be able to go just where you would like and stop when you want without driving. Anyone experienced this?????Thanks

Well, sort of. The thing is that tourism in Alaska is not really like it is in Europe. Most of the things to see in Europe are historical in nature and it works well to have a private driver to see them. Most of the tourist attractions in Alaska are either scenic, in which case you really don't need a guide as such, or created like zip lines or helicopter landings.

It is easy enough to grab a cab and run out to Mendenhall in Juneau, and then drive around town, but I don't know you would see much else. In Sitka the sights are all pretty much within a small area and you can get a shuttle at the pier. In Skagway, the entire town is four blocks unless you drive to the Yukon and you don't need a guide for that. In Ketchikan it is pretty much the same. You might want to get a private tour to the Totem Center and Totem Bight, but that is about it. Almost everything can be booked at the dock if you don't like the ship's excursions. In Icy Strait Point, Keith of Teckk tours is a great driver but mostly he will take you on the bear search, there isn't much else to drive to.

In a couple of ports you can also book a private boat tour. That really works a little better than a driver on land. But it still pretty much goes to the standard places.

I think a bit of an adjustment in one's thinking is needed when cruising Alaska after cruising Europe. They are different experiences.

Have a GREAT cruise!

except for a few things, like the flightseeing or the drive/train in skagway, most thing are very close...easy to get to...very easy to do yourselves.

juneau:

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

some do rent a car and do a drive...but the roads don't go far, since juneau is a landlock port town. shuttle run from the docks to mendenhall glacier for $6 pp each way, it's about a 20 to 30 min drive.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

at mendenhall they have a visitor's center and park rangers to help tell the tourist what they are seeing and why.

juneau is, also, good for whale watching, flightseeing and other interesting tours...most of which will pick you up at the docks.

skagway:

http://www.skagway.com/

is known for it's historic gold-rush train history...there are round-trip train right to the summitt and back to other combo tours (train 1way and bus/van the other) that do up to the yukon and the sights along the route. OR some rent a car and drive the highway up to the yukon, with the help of murray's guide (his name is Yukon on this board)

this is the only town that has "real" roads that lead to anywhere. all other ports, the roads are local.

ketchikan:

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

this area is great for a flightseeing tour over the fjords or just for walking around enjoying the "cuteness" of the town. in the right time of the year, bears tours are very popular from this area.

some of the other ports, like sitka, icy strait points (hoonah) have websites for research.

unlike most of europe, you don't have the long drive on foreign roads to historic sights with long lines to get tickets. most things in alaska are "right there", few or no lines..roads are foreign.. on those websites you will find some tours that are smaller, in vans for less people then the big bus tours. i think it's skagway that there are a couple of personal tours that take in the gold rush history around town, including the cemetary.

the docks in each of these towns are within walking distance (but shuttles are available) to the towns. each has vistor's centers with more tours, besides what the ship offers. could be a good idea to sent for the visitor's guide for the ports you are interested in.

Thanks everyone,

Your information is about what I thought it might be. As you can guess, this is my first trip to Alaska and I want to see as much as possible. We will be doing flightseeing and dogsledding on a glacier. We don't care for the large groups off the ship as it seems like cattle herding. I will continue my search of each port as to the time there. We will be going in late July and visiting, Anchorage, Seward (for 2 days) Hubbard, Skagway, Ketichkan, Juneau, Icy Strait Point and ending in Vancouver. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks to you all.

Thanks everyone,

Your information is about what I thought it might be. As you can guess, this is my first trip to Alaska and I want to see as much as possible. We will be doing flightseeing and dogsledding on a glacier. We don't care for the large groups off the ship as it seems like cattle herding. I will continue my search of each port as to the time there. We will be going in late July and visiting, Anchorage, Seward (for 2 days) Hubbard, Skagway, Ketichkan, Juneau, Icy Strait Point and ending in Vancouver. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks to you all.

Well, some that I would suggest: Rent a car from Avis in Skagway and drive to Caribou Crossing in the Yukon.

Icy Strait Point: Bear watching with Teckk Outfitters.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks everyone,

Thanks to you all.

If it were me I would to whale watching in Icy Strait Point with FISHES and save the bear watching for Juneau or Ketchikan as a fly-in. You will see a couple of bears at ISP but if you really want to see bears, Neets Bay, Pack Creek or Anan Creek are going to give you far better bear viewing. Actually, at ISP they call it "bear search" since it really is a search to try and find them. Usually they are successful but after Katmai NP bear viewing I guess I am spoiled.

Archived