G.p.s

mrbill62

Has Anyone Taken A Portable Gps On A Cruise And Why? Iam Taking A 5 Day Cruise To Mexico And Thinking Of Taking Mine. Should I ?

It might be entertaining to know exactly where you are all the time but I cruise to NOT know where I am all the time!

All I need to know is that I'm at sea, the rest is up to the Captain and crew!

:D

i always take the gps

i mark each port as a waypoint and save. the great thing is by marking each port when you get there you can use the gps to get back to the ship if you get lost.

take it and have fun

thanks for the tip on geocash on trip

.....on my Alaska cruise with DeLorme GPS software. I would get up at 3AM (I'm from the east coast, 4 hour time difference), and join my newly made friend in the buffet dining room, hook up the GPS and watch as we moved through the waters. Tried it on my East Caribbean cruise but we were too far out to sea, it was only land based maps.

:)

I always take mine...it's fun to know where you are at any time...and know what "that island" is in the distance. On the west side once we came in from dinner to change and I went out on the balcony. On Cuba I could see some big bright lights...grabbed the GPS and found out we were just out side of GITMO...pretty cool.

A little hint...put your GPS in a zip lock bag...that way when you bring it in and out of the cabin it won't steam up.

Has Anyone Taken A Portable Gps On A Cruise And Why? Iam Taking A 5 Day Cruise To Mexico And Thinking Of Taking Mine. Should I ?

I was gonig to buy one for last time but I didn't. I think it would be cool to sit out on the balcony and play with it. As long as you can get all the maps loaded I say go for it.

Continental lets you use them on the plane while flying. Kind of cool to see what roads your flying over and what state your over. We got up to 540 MPH:eek: on our flight last week. I have a Garmin I5 and i'm not sure if mine would work on a boat, I believe it only has land maps loaded. I will have to take it on my next cruise to see if it works.

I had to hold it up close to the window on the plane so it would work though.

My Husband and I also take ours, it started on our trip to Antarctica and we have taken one ever since....We have Navigation software on our computers and like to track where we have been...We now also take a laptop with the software on it, it is cool to see where we are...(The laptop is also for our digital pictures so it is dual purpose...we live in FL so flying wih all the stuff is not an issue:)

I have a handheld GPSr that I use for geocaching which I plan to take with me. I plan to use it post cruise when we're in Orlando for some geocaching there but I might see if there are some caches hidden in some of the ports just for fun. I don't have any detailed maps loaded in it so not much use for anything other then geocaching and I'm too cheap to put out for the mapping software. Just bought a laptop I plan to take along as well.

I have always taken mine on cruises. In 2004 I had a magellan, before it got

crushed, a long story. It had problems getting a locked on a the sats. But my

garmin works great.

It helps to find things in towns when your exploring, etc.

I will take my GPS to Alaska next summer. If you know of places you want

to visit you can mark them ahead of time. Also if you looking for a shop, food,

etc the GPS is a easy way to look it up and even get the phone numbers.

Have fun.

Archived