Grand Cayman Dive Operator?

docBarb

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Grand Cayman on the NCL Jewel and I have contacted divers down and neptune divers. They both can accomodate us. Any preference over these two operators? A different operator yet?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Barbara

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Grand Cayman on the NCL Jewel and I have contacted divers down and neptune divers. They both can accomodate us. Any preference over these two operators? A different operator yet?

Thanks,

Barbara

Hi,

If there's two of you and you want to do shore diving, there's the dive shop at Sunset House resort (www.sunsethouse.com). It's a quick cab ride from the cruise dock and they have a full dive shop on site with lockers for rent, etc. The diving there is good (Cathy Church, a world-recognized underwater photographer is located at SH and she considers the reef her personal photography house reef) and you can dive at your convienence (Sunset House's reef is where you'll also find the famous "Amphitrite", a 9 foot tall bronze mermaid, under the water. You enter via the dock and there's even a ladder to help you back out (see http://www.sunsethouse.com/shore_diving.php for a picture and description). Also for a fee you can book a dive guide to show you around.

Randall

P.S. "My bar" at Sunset House is an outside bar and a great cool down "after" you're done with your diving for the day. :D

Hi,

Thanks,

Barbara

Do you mean http://www.neptunesdivers.com If so and it's owned by Casey and Keith I have used them and would use them again. They are 100% a class act. Have fun! Tell them Natasha says Hi!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great input for dive shops in the Grand Caymans. My wife and I are sailing on Carnival Freedom and will be in the Caymans in December (12/8-12/15). I had a diving excursion booked through Carnival but due to all the great input I cancelled and will go directly with one of the dive shops from this thread (ambassadordivers/neptunesdivers/sunsethouse/etc...). Now, which one :confused:

Keep the ideas coming.

BTW - should reservations be made well in advance? We have a little over 2 months so hopefully trips are still available.

Thanks for the heads-up Bruce-r. My wife and I are going with Diver's Down although it sounds like all the dive shops from this post are great.

fyi - Diver's Down says that many of their December trips are still available but their Oct. and Nov. trips are booking up real fast.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everybody,

I'm leaning toward shore diving with sunset house. I really like the minimal planning part.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Barbara

Hi,

You won't be disappointed. It really is a nice dive (buy a drink for me at "MyBar" afterwards). :)

• 2 weeks later...

You shouldn't need to set anything up ahead of time unless it's a busy holiday. They are located at 218 South Church Street. If your looking at Georgetown from the ship you would go to the right. It is about 1/4 mile south of Eden Roc, which is the dive shop right on the harbor. A two minute cab ride or a 10 minute walk from downtown.

You shouldn't need to set anything up ahead of time unless it's a busy holiday. They are located at 218 South Church Street. If your looking at Georgetown from the ship you would go to the right. It is about 1/4 mile south of Eden Roc, which is the dive shop right on the harbor. A two minute cab ride or a 10 minute walk from downtown.

I know where Eden Rock is. So, you can't dive Devil's Grotto from the Eden Rock site? I will be with a group of 7 to 10 divers..

Did anyone use seasports? They say they leave at 10 am and back at 1 pm

We have used Seasports on our last two cruise trips and we've always had no problem getting back to the ship on time. This last time we didn't get back in until 2:30 but that was because we took some folks back to their hotel and we messed around with our blessings. Greg and Karen will do what they say.

I know where Eden Rock is. So, you can't dive Devil's Grotto from the Eden Rock site? I will be with a group of 7 to 10 divers..

I never said you couldn't dive Devils Grotto from Eden Rock... It is a great location in fact for that. I just happen to like the staff and entry better at Don Fosters. I lived in the Caymans for a bit over a year and there was very good service at Fosters but I never felt the same about Eden Rock. With 7-10 divers I would contact whichever dive shop you decide and give them the heads up on the date you will be there and the gear you will need (esp. sizes).

From Fosters you will have to swim west towards a bouy about 200 ft and then go down to get to the Grotto.

I never said you couldn't dive Devils Grotto from Eden Rock... It is a great location in fact for that. I just happen to like the staff and entry better at Don Fosters. I lived in the Caymans for a bit over a year and there was a good difference in the service at Fosters but I never felt the same about Eden Rock. With 7-10 divers I would contact whichever dive shop you decide and give them the heads up on the date you will be there and the gear you will need (esp. sizes).

From Fosters you will have to swim west towards a bouy about 200 ft and then go down to get to the Grotto.

Ah! Got it thanks for the info. Friends of mine from another board reminded me about Sunset House and the great shore dive to the mermaid. Looks like we're going to do that this time, but now that you gave me the info I'll be Devil's Grotto on the list for next time.

Have you dove the mermaid?

Archived