just back from Aruba

spl0731

After enjoying Aruba on a cruise a few years ago, DH and I booked a trip there for 5 days. Thanks to ArubaLisa and others for your suggestions!

We booked our trip using Marriott points. After being told of the construction at the Stellaris (Palm Beach) Marriott, we booked at the Renaissance, downtown.

While the hotel itself is lackluster, the private beach is beautiful. As it turns out, we were lucky. Though the hurricane caused no significant damage, the water at Palm Beach was awful. The hurricane stirred up the ocean floor, and the water was murky. We were told that it sometimes takes up to a month or two to settle down. So, if you are going to Aruba in the next month, I would stay away from Palm Beach!

Dinners:

La Fondue Aruba: Fun, not too expensive. Food was fine but not spectacular

El Gaucho: Amazing steaks, side dishes were lackluster

Gasparitos: Good food, nice to try authentic Arubian food

Madame Janette: Amazing ambiance, good food

We also like the Dutch Pancake house, but it opened too late for us for breakfast. We usually got muffins at Dunkin Donuts and went right to the beach.

Thanks again to everyone, and feel free to ask any questions!

MrsLevine2B,

I'm sitting at the airport in Aruba writing this. Sad to be leaving, but it was a great time. We also stayed at the Renaissance downtown and it was a nice hotel. We preferred going to the pool across the street at the Renaissance Suites. I think the biggest complaint I have with the pool at the Renaissance was the smells of the traffic on the road next to the hotel. Fumes were bad at times. I'll write more later as I recall more of our trip. It was our first non cruise trip to Aruba and it will not be our last.

Ken and Dina

cruising to aruba during christmas. i'm seriously considering a day pass to the allegro occidental hotel. have either of you seen it? how does it look? i went on tripadvisor and many people complained about the lack of chairs and the chair hogs and the umbrella hogs. what do you think?

Thank you for this post. I will be in Aruba for six days next month (first time), and cruising or not, this is still one of the best places to look for information.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the restaurants mentioned and I will be checking in for other tips as well.

Archived