Kona tendering time- Diamond Princess?

ell52

We'll be in Kona on the Diamond Princess next month and we're trying to figure out the best time to reserve our rental car at King Kamehameha. Arrival time is 8a.m.

Does anyone have a best guess, estimate of the earliest we'd be able to tender and be dockside in Kona? I believe this is the first time Diamond Princess has done the Hawaii itinerary, but maybe someone who has tendered from the Diamond somewhere else might have an educated guess.

_

• Administrators
We'll be in Kona on the Diamond Princess next month and we're trying to figure out the best time to reserve our rental car at King Kamehameha. Arrival time is 8a.m.

Does anyone have a best guess, estimate of the earliest we'd be able to tender and be dockside in Kona? I believe this is the first time Diamond Princess has done the Hawaii itinerary, but maybe someone who has tendered from the Diamond somewhere else might have an educated guess.

_

I'd reserve it for 8:00 -- they will hold it for you for a reasonable period, certainly an hour or so -- they know you're on the ship they can see in the harbor, and if you are delayed for some reason you can call them via cell phone from the ship so they know you are still coming.

By the way, if you happen to be on the Diamond Princess cruise which will be at Kona on Friday, October 12, you should call NOW. That weekend is the Ironman Triathalon and Kona will be jammed with visitors and competitors. I'd also take that into account in planning your route and destinations for the day -- Ali'i is likely to be wall to wall people, like the Strip in Las Vegas. If that's not your cruise week, then "erase, erase" all should be fine. :)

I'd reserve it for 8:00 -- they will hold it for you for a reasonable period, certainly an hour or so -- they know you're on the ship they can see in the harbor, and if you are delayed for some reason you can call them via cell phone from the ship so they know you are still coming.

By the way, if you happen to be on the Diamond Princess cruise which will be at Kona on Friday, October 12, you should call NOW. That weekend is the Ironman Triathalon and Kona will be jammed with visitors and competitors. I'd also take that into account in planning your route and destinations for the day -- Ali'i is likely to be wall to wall people, like the Strip in Las Vegas. If that's not your cruise week, then "erase, erase" all should be fine. :)

Thanks for the advice. We've already reserved - just weren't sure about the timing.

Thankfully, we'll be there on the Tuesday, a few days before the Ironman. I think Princess changed the order of our ports because of the triathlon. I imagine it will still be busier than usual in town.

_

• Administrators
Thanks for the advice. We've already reserved - just weren't sure about the timing.

Thankfully, we'll be there on the Tuesday, a few days before the Ironman. I think Princess changed the order of our ports because of the triathlon. I imagine it will still be busier than usual in town.

_

Yes, that's almost certainly why they swapped it -- I had wondered when I saw that on www.cruisecal.com, but hadn't checked the Princess site to see if they'd adjusted. The NCLA ships are avoiding Kona that weekend, as well -- POH is doing two Hilo days and no Kona stops that week, for instance. I think you will be fine on Tuesday. The local number for the King Kam office should be on your reservation confirmation; if you have a cell phone, I'd pre-program it and when you are up early that morning on the ship, you can gauge whether you need to call them to say "hey, we're still coming!" :) Have a wonderful trip; I'll look forward to your review!

Archived