Casa de Campo beaches without day pass...where to go?

monicajay

We will be visiting Casa de Campo/La Romano on Costa cruises in March of next year. The beach excursions offered by them are the Catalina island @$49.00 pp/day and Bayhibe @$56.00 pp/day. Both of these I find expensive for our family of 4 just to go to the beach. $200+

We have usually taken a taxi at most ports and headed to a beach bar or "club" and been very happy. Usually we can find somewhere to rent a few chairs drink a few beers and spend about $100 or so total for the family. I have always found places to go on CC so I know where to ask the taxi to go. We love Paradise Beach in Coz and Orient in St. Martin (can't remember which beach bar). Found a great little beach bar in Costa Maya.

It seems like most of this area is built up with all inclusive hotels.

Does anyone know if there are any beach bars in this area? Or, is there a public beach that is nice? I don't want to go to some beach covered in garbage, something clean but not too expensive?

Share your experinces here please....:)

• 4 months later...

Casa de Campo is a luxury beach resort in La Romana with Catalina island being just off the coast of the resort. You may want to do a search for beaches in La Romana and not Casa de Campo to find what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search :)

Sandyrella,

Thanks for the suggestion but I have been doing just that. I have also posted on non-cruise travel forums trying to get more information about finding a decent beach.

So far the best I can find is the public beach in Bayahibe. $55.00 by taxi including 2 hours waiting time and $10.00 per additional hour. Chairs can be rented and beer can be found. Problem is there doesn't seem to be a bathroom - well previous posters have talked about a bucket:eek: .

All I'm looking for is a chair, a clean beach, access to drinks, and access to a reasonable bathroom. I have been able to find this everywhere else we have been, but so far no luck at this port without paying expensive resort fees.

PS You will love the Dawn, Don't miss the mexican restaurant with the "hanging beef" forget what it was called but boy was it good.

I found this little thread that may have some good information for you....read the last post.

http://www.carnivalconnections.com/cruisetalk/forums/p/25631/41544.aspx

I agree that the price of the excursions just to go to the beach is ridiculous. We also went to Paradise beach in Cozumel and wish that other ports had something similar.

Here's another blurb I found on a website:

The better beaches in the area are on the Dominicus and Bayahibe beach strips. By law, the first 60 meters of any beach is public property. And Dominicus and Bayahibe hotels -- Coral Canoa by Hilton, Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach and Palace and Venta Club Gran Dominicus took this a step further securing the prestigious European Blue Flag International certification. The beach actually became the first in the Caribbean to receive the designation that honors high standards for water quality, environmental education, environmental management and safety and services. The public entrance for area non-hotel guests is between Viva Dominicus Palace and Iberostar Hacienda.

I am so looking forward to the Dawn! We plan to eat in the Mexican restaurant at least once so I will look for the hanging beef. Enjoy your cruise as well!

I just found this link for some tours and some great pictures of all areas of Dominican Republic:http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/Saona_e.htm

Also, check Trip Advisor (do a search). There are pictures of Bayhibe Beach, La Romano, Casa De Campo with some information from the reviewers about the beaches/facilities/etc.

Hope this helps!:D

Archived