Discover SCUBA - Turcs & Caicos

VABeach

Im an Advanced Padi Certified Diver, I do not recommend any Discover Scuba excursions. Last march on the Valor, Wendy tried the Discovery Scuba which is a beginners class, this was done at Tabyana Beach in Isla Roatan. While at chest level depth she had to learn 3 things, One was to flood your mask and clear it while underwater, this alone is one of the hardest things to do for a beginner and it takes time and practice while in a pool setting. The next thing was to remove and recover your regulator (mouth piece) and third was to learn how to buddy breath I beleive. Wendy couldn't do these things as they seem very hard. Another problem was her bouyancy and not enough wieghts on her belt to keep her down underwater even with her BCD vest fully deflated. They were willing to take their time teaching her but this was taking time away from the rest of the group that was ready to go. Finally Wendy gave up and remained on the Beach.

There is alot to learn and fast if you want to enjoy a dive with short limited time while at a port and to do it safe. I highly recommend if you really want to scuba dive, take some real safe lessons at a local dive shop in your area.

Fred

Go for it. We are on Triumph next week and diving Grand Turk--looking forward to a new place to us. Discover Scuba is a good way to find out if diving is something you want to pursue.

I don't know if you are on a similar itinerary to ours, we also stop at St Thomas; which would also be a good place to do a Discover Scuba and do it as a shore dive at Coki Beach, we are diving there as well and it's also new to us.

I did the Discover in St Thomas several years ago and thought it was so good I took up diving. I am now a Master Diver and dive at the Virginia Beach Aquarium besides recreational diving. Just be sure to listen and ask questions. If you have any doubts while in the water, SURFACE.

I'm a certified diver myself, but it's been a while and I'll have a 17 year old non-diver with me. I was just suprised that they are wanting to charge around $140.00 for this "excursion". (Per person!) :eek:

I'm trying to find some other option than booking through the ship. :cool:

Archived