Captian's table for Dinner

HighSeaslover

Often it's the people that have cruised many times with the cruiseline or that particular ship. Sometimes it's people that the Social Director has met that seem like they would make interesting dining companions or even honeymooners or other celebrants (golden wedding).

HighSeaslover,

You might want to try what happened to me. Just like the lottery, you never know.

Our very first cruise was on Cunard's QE2. I saw that my TA had forgotten to make dinner arrangements so I called Cunard directly (my TA was away on vacation). After I told the cust. service person my problem, she said that maybe I should sit at the captain's table. I made a smart remark and said sure. Needless to say, I thought she was kidding. When we got on ship, we found that we were at Captain's Warwick table (for the whole week). What a great way to begin cruising!

Ed

QE2 - 12/98, 09/00, 09/01, 06/03

Explorer of the Seas - 01/02

Grand Princess - 12/02

Majesty of the Seas - 01/04

Next up:

Queen Mary 2 - 11/04

Island Princess - 07/05

Highseaslover,

I see that on your countdown clock it say family vacation. Are there children involved?

If so I can just about guarantee that the captain's dinner table wont happen.

Hope I am wrong and you get what you are looking for.

mcboo

Often it will be the Hotel Director or Chief Engineer or other officer. I can understand that it might get just a bit of an issue for the captain. I think Capt Bang on RCCL's Navigator usually does the capt's table on formal nights regularily.

A coupla cruises ago, there was an envelope in my cabin one afternoon...an invitation to dine at the captain's table the next evening. His table was in the dining room that I wasn't assigned to. I have no idea how this came about, but I thoroughly enjoyed the dinner conversation! We were at a table for eight, and he ordered after-dinner drinks for all.;)

By the way, I was in a 1A with porthole - nowhere near a Cat.12.

Serene56,

Yes, Captain Warwick, his wife Kim, son Sam, and 2 friends of theirs from outside London, Elizabeth and John, ate at the table every night. This cruise was over Christmas so, you can imagine how great it was (especially since I had just lost both my parents in the previous 14 months).

Ed

I've eaten at the Captain's table on 2 cruises. Once on Celebrity and once on Carnival. I think it's just random, but both times I was a group leader. As in Celebrity's case, my husband and I were walking on deck, and the social director, I think, came up to us and asked us our stateroom #. I was afraid that we were picked for some crazy show onboard. And 2 times we were invited to the private captain's party, along with all the senior officers. Don't know what it is, maybe we look like we could use a friend!! Sonia

• 3 years later...

i dined at the captain's table my second time on the norway-in fact i sat right next to him- i wasn't staying in an expenve cabin either- in fact it was an inside cabin- have cruised carnival over 12 times and have never dined at the captain's table- what i do remeber is 1- the invite was personally delivered to our cabin, 2- the preceding cocktail party was very elegant

3- we made our entance into the dining room via the winding staircase-

3- there was a different wine served with each course

4- the food was outstanding

5- a nice picture was taken of the table- signed by the captain and delivered to the cabin (no charge) and it was just really very nice-

i was amazed at how many languages the captain spoke fluently and his manners were impecable along with his knowledge of so many things- a truly enjoyable dinner!

was my 7th cruises in as many months on the Holiday. I'm always a g'tee, likke cotton. The MD Damir (from several prev cruises) asked if I would like to be a guest of Capt. I of course obliged..it was a mix of guests. I was the senior girl with 4 other sweet young things(one was a b'day girl).There were no men pax..but plenty in uniform to go round..Some female purser/office types. Lots of wine etc, and a birthday cake for dessert with the usual ones . I have also been invited to (the same) Captains private cocktail party for some selected employees, with open bar, and some home brewed "Lemoncello"..yum--mee.I sent a TY note w/ sm box of chocolates to the Capt. Basically just whomever strikes the fancy of whomever does the choosing. The MD does seem to have his finger on the pulse of the pax on the DR computer. I reach Platinum end of Oct..so we'll see If i get to be a chosen one again.

I wonder if the OP is still looking for this answer 3+ years later. :eek:

This thread caught my eye, but then I see your post saying that it's from over 3 years ago.....LOL The other poster really had to dig deep into the bowels of CC to find this one. :D:D

We were fortunate to eat at the Captain's table this last Feb. On the Conquest. It was a very nice dinner, and enjoyable evening. My wife & I sat next to the Captain, and the Doctor. I am a nurse, so I asked many questions about the medical side of how things are done versus a typical hospital or ICU. Each couple recieve a nice autograph picture of the group. I night to remember.

WJ

There seems to be a rash of dredging up old posts here lately.

How odd...

anyway, we did something a little different on our Victory cruise this month.

DJ Kyle (usually the DJ in the disco) was filling in as karaoke host (and you all know now much time I spend in there :rolleyes: ). Anyway, we had the early dinner seating and he was able to work it into his schedule, so he dined at our table the last night.

We had an extra spot at the table and I submitted the "request" to the Hotel Director and the HD said yes! We had a wonderful visit...and Kyle got escargot and prime rib. He is back in the disco now on the Victory...so drop by and tell him his "cruise Mom" says hi!!!

Years ago the past cruisers party on Celebrity was NOT the same as the Carnival parties. You had to pay ($25) to be a member of the past cruisers group so it was small party. There were about 20 chairs set up in a oval. We (2 couples) were young and interested in the free booze only so we sat at the far end - opposite where we expected the captain to sit. But he pulled up an extra chair and stuck it right in the middle of us. How disappointing was that!!!

We've shaken hands with lots of captains - I never know their names. We try to skip the hand shaking if there is another door - makes the lines smaller for those who do want to shake his hand.

Archived