Uh Oh! Birth Certif. Problem ... can anyone help?

HeatherInFlorida

HeatherInFlorida

The Baptismal certificate would be helpful - at least it proves he was born!

What about any insurance policies?

I think this gentleman has to get his act together and quickly - everybody concerned should be 'rattling his chains' :D

Looks to me like this guy either knows he has a bc/official ID and enjoys having you gals running around OR he just doesn't want to go on the cruise so is remaining silent about it.

At 60+ years I would just give him the fact that if he gets to the ship with no passport or bc he will not be allowed on the cruise and will not get a refund. Let him take it from there. He's not a child. :eek:

HeatherinFlorida

If the gentleman was in the military during era's of WWII or Korea, chances are he may have registered his discharge papers at the county of his return from he military. County recorder office there might have some helpful info.

When time is an issue like yours, I wouldn't hesitate to call the local state or national congressman from his area and say, ``Here's the situation. What to do next?'' These people are elected officials and receive their pay by us, the U.S., to serve their electorate. Be persistent, have some info in hand and try what my grandson does when he really, really, needs something. Say, ``PLEASEEEEEEEEEE.'' Works for my grandson most of the time and has worked for this grandma often - I'm a newsrepoter by trade. Have had to squeak info from elected officials many times during my career.

Good luck and give it a try. Dianne, Charlies' wife.

Thank you, Diane. He wasn't in WWII or Korea, I'm afraid. He's going to start with the Bureau of Vital Records in PA where he was born. Don't worry, we're rattling him like crazy!!!:D He has promised my friend that he will not let us down and he will be on that ship ... so we'll just see.

I'm a bit of a control freak and always like to get everyone's ducks in a row. Bookworm, you crack me up! We did tell him this. I think your theory is hysterical, though.

Thanks all!

Shouldn't the FIRST call be to the bureau of vital statistics in the state and county where he was born? They should be able to tell you if there is or isn't a B/C on file. Even though it was a home birth with a midwife, most states had requirements that all live births be registered about the same time that social security came into being in the 30's. It's a very strong probability that it was registered and if it is, getting a copy is easy.

If you make that call, make sure you have his parents names and DOB. Those are the most common questions they ask to verify that you have a legitimate interest in knowing.

Mary Ellen and Lovebirds posts have great suggestions. If he was born in the country there may be records at the county level. 60 years ago isn't that long and he should be able to find it. If you are talking age 80+ then it may be a little tougher. Church records are a good clue too. Even if the Church no longer exists, the county will know where the records were sent. My hobby is geneology and I've had to track down a few home birth records. My Dad was born at home. Fortunately his was recorded with the County Bureau.

Good Luck

Believe OP has enough info to find several ways to obtain a birth certificate other than the one we all hope is stuffed somewhere in dresser drawer, waiting in a bank's lock box or available through state and county records.

Hope everyone viewing this thread who does not have a copy of their birth certificate and has plans to travel outside the states takes these suggestions to heart and starts finding what they need before they get down to the last few weeks before needed.

Charlie and I applied for our passports several years ago when we flew to Europe for the first time following his military service. Purchased our two daughters passports as well a few years later and now our son is active military in Iraq and can use his military ID as U.S. citizenship.

Lived behind the Iron Curtain when my husband was military. Personally, will never travel outside this country ever without a passport in hand, along with copies of our certified birth certificates in hand or in my baggage.

Never know when you're going to need them but if you don't have them, you're going to wish you had them.

That's my motto, and I'm sticking by it. Charlie's wife

Thanks much, one and all. You are all fantastic and I've gotten great ideas from you. My friend is grateful, too.

Diane, you make a good point. This experience is one that may alert anyone out there who hasn't made sure they have all their necessary documents better get crackin':D .

It's always been such a vital thing for me that it never occurred to me it wouldn't be to anyone.

So we'll see what develops as he begins his search.

Archived