Snorkling With Glasses

LPast50

This might seem like a silly question, but....Can you snorkle with your glasses on? My daugther-in-law would love to try it when we're in Freeport & Nassau next month....but she can hardly see without her glasses:eek: Any replies will be much appreciated!!:)

there is another board on here under the cruise discussion topics...it's the snorkel and scuba board try on there you may get more answers than on here or if you search the forum they may have already answered!

sorry i couldn't be of much help

Thanks for the suggestions. There does happen to be another thread under Scuba & Snorking that answers my question.

Some people say they're blind as bats:eek: but for some reason, they are able to see when snorkling:confused:

Thanks for the suggestions. There does happen to be another thread under Scuba & Snorking that answers my question.

Some people say they're blind as bats:eek: but for some reason, they are able to see when snorkling:confused:

My DH was blind as a bat prior to having laser surgery and he tried snorkeling in the Virgin Islands last summer without his glasses and things were still fuzzy for him so he had to wear his contacts the rest of the trip (this was during a land vacation there). But things are definitely magnified under water so I guess it depends on just how blind you really are.:)

That's because when some people say that, they really have no clue how good they've got it. It's usually people who are mildly myopic, meaning they can't see well far away, or those with some astigmatism, or (the biggest group of complainers) they've reached that point in life where they just don't have enough accomodation (the ability to focus on closer distances). It happens to just about everyone around 40. The water creates a little magnification, which is what this latter group needs, so a lot of times they will see okay snorkeling or diving without glasses, especially since most of what they are looking at is farther than a few feet away and they don't have a real problem with that anyway.

If your daughter-in-law is myopic (nearsighted) then she will definitely need either contacts or lenses in her mask. If she is hyperopic (farsighted), since she won't be trying to read the phonebook under water, she may be okay without correction.

Best wishes!

Water magnifies things about 25% (think about it, guys:D ). The DW and I recently bought masks with corrective lenses. Both were off the shelf at a local dive shop. Total cost about $80 for a decent mask with 2 corrective lenses. They can change them in the shop in about 10 minutes. Years ago, we used to take the earpieces off our glasses and tape them inside the mask (using medical adhesive tape). To do this, you need larger masks with a single faceplate. With the trend going to low-volume masks, I don't know if you can get the larger masks anymore. If you decide to order online, use the diopter portion of your prescription; they don't make dive mask lenses for astigmatism, but the diopter correction helps a lot.

Art

Archived