Roatan on Christmas Day

Terry&Leah

We are on the Norwegian Spirit sailing from New Orleans on 12/23/07. NCL has just announced that the stop on Christmas Day (Tuesday, December 25, 2007), which had been Costa May, has been cancelled and that the ship will instead stop in Roatan from 1 - 8 p.m. on Christmas Day.

Does anyone know whether the usual excursions will be operating on Christmas Day, and also, what local business customs usually prevail in Roatan on Christmas Day? We would be interested in snorkeling (group of 7), but also want to be respectful of local customs and not offend if Christmas Day is a significant religious fiesta day. Also, given the ship does not arrive until 1 p.m., will there even be time to arrange a snorkeling trip?

Terry&Leah: We are also on this same Cruise, group of four, and I was going to ask this same question- hope someone comes along with an answer.

We have a small group on the Roll Call Board for this Cruise, stop by and join in! :-)

and hello again dennis. we too, are on this cruise. we've been to roatan a couple of times. it is very poor.... primarily catholic. i'd be very, very surprised if excursions or shopping are limited by the fact that it is christmas. this island draws a huge amount of revenue/wages from cruise business. they won't miss an opportunity to earn a wage that is greater than pretty much anything else they can do there. roatan is a great stop, not so much because of the activities available, though they are good, but because of the people. they are warm, friendly, and seem to genuinely like we silly cruise ship passengers. i think it is a very sweet place.

i'm actually hoping to do a bit of snorkeling there myself. think we'll probably get a private driver and do a more secluded beach somewhere. then maybe take a small tour of the island. we haven't ventured to far from port in our prior trips..... which, if you walk into town, is pretty interesting itself.

terry and leah, you'll have to stop by our roll call on this board and keep in touch. as time gets closer we'll plan a cc'ers gathering of some sort. group is pretty small right now so could be just a few of us.

luv2

Archived