The movie Open Water

scubajeff

Hey, I know this isn't that cruise related, but it is diving related. As a diver, I really want to see the movie "Open Water", but I just had surgery and can sit through a movie in the theater just yet. I wanted to hear what the other divers thought of the movie.

Let me know

Scubajeff

I saw it, and I thought it was just so-so. The filming looked just like a home video, and I think that really detracted from the whole movie. The diving scenes were pretty short (the most disappointing part). The shark scenes were very intense but not gory, and I was glad about that. I will not tell you how it ends, but it is not totally predictable. All in all, I thought it was good, but not great. It does make you think......

This was a real good movie for what it is. What people seem to forget is - this movie is not a big budget studio feature. This movie is a little independant film that is making a real big splash (pun intended). So considering there are hundreds of films like this that never make a blip on the radar screen. So to that extent it is very good.

The scuba scenes are minimal. But remember, this is not a scuba movie. This is a thriller/suspense about two people left at sea.

I will not give any spoilers here. My girlfriend and I were totally drawn in once the boat left them. Also the shark scenes were really cool. My girlfriend was literally on the edge of her seat with her hand over her eyes. And the cool part was they didn't get silly with the sharks in the movie to scare people. They were pretty fair with how sharks probabaly would have acted.

Did the film have a cheaper look? Yes. Was the acting less than DiNero or Tom Hanks? Yes. Shaky cameras? A bit. It is an indie film. It's about the story. And they told a really exciting story in a way that had my heart pumping at times. I was also very affected by the end (won't tell you how or why) and it takes a good movie to make me really care and have an opinion with what happened.

Archived