A little off topic..but question about underwater cameras...

boowaaccaa

Can anyone recomend a cheapish digital underwater camera? Do they even exist? Cheap ones I mean..lol...I know you can spend a few hundred (or thousand) and get one--but I am just wondering if there are any under $75...or is it wishful thinking?

I did a quick google search and came up with this:

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/camera.html?gclid=CJ_krdPGxo4CFRqsOAodi3bMxA

I ordered a waterproof wallet from this store and it is really nice but I haven't ordered any camera cases so I can't vouch for these. They say guaranteed 100% waterproof 15-30 feet so that would work for snorkeling which is all most would use it for.

My wife bought a underwater camera bag for $20, and put our 7.2 mpix camera in it:eek: . It had some packets to prevent fogging and she didn't use them. The Camera wasn't harmed in any way, and on a 1 to 10 scale she ranks it a 5, figuring in that operator error probably accounts for part of the reason behind the low score. It seems like an inexpensive option that might be worth a shot if you get used to using it. Just thought I'd mention it.

I bought an underwater camera (35mm) from Leisurepro dot com. It is a point and shoot that uses film, has a flash, and auto advance and rewind.

There is a plastic housing with a gasket that keeps everything dry. I think I paid under $60 for it 2 years ago. I think it took decent pictures. You can see some from our Destiny cruise in my siggy.

Here is the link for Leisure pro. Good luck, and be sure to post some pictures.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_965/Photography/971.html

Jerry

Well, at least I know they make them for zoom cameras. Where did you buy this one at?????

If you are going to St Thomas we got ours at Royal Caribbean camera (no relation) for 99$. It works fantastic, we have taken it snorkeling, kayaking, in the rain, everything and all the functions of the camera are accessible.

My brother goes deep sea diving all over the world. (he's single, he can afford it) He told me that the best thing he has found to use is a GOOD (Name Brand) disposable camera. They are reasonable and you are not putting a lot of money into something you will not use much. If you lose it, you aren't out much money.

My brother goes deep sea diving all over the world. (he's single, he can afford it) He told me that the best thing he has found to use is a GOOD (Name Brand) disposable camera. They are reasonable and you are not putting a lot of money into something you will not use much. If you lose it, you aren't out much money.

Yeah I can see that point of view as even the waterproof cases are SO EXPENSIVE in my book, espically when you might use them 1-2 times a year....PLUS, I am a little uneasy about taking my expensive camera in the water, no matter what! I am sure the products are good, but there is USER ERROR....:eek: Sure would hate to ruin my new camera!!!!

Ok, here's a cheaper idea. We bought 4 underwater disposable cameras at target. Each camera cost $10 and each took 27 pictures. We used them when we went snorkeling and they worked perfectly. We had them developed onboard and the pictures turned out really, really well. My mom and dad also bought some for a different excursion and they liked them too.

When you get the waterproof cameras developed, can you get your pics on disc so you can download them to computer?

Yes. Just call ahead first to make sure they have the equipment. There Are two CVS stores near my house and one was able to do it at the one hour photo and other one said they had to send them out to do it.

I have always been able to get great photos with those real cheap disposable underwater cameras that you buy at Target/Walgreens/WalMart. I think they are normally around $10 each. I have taken them on every vacation we have ever gone on and have always come home with great pics from our snorkel experiences.

Happy Cruising!

OP: I've seen a couple of threads on the Ask a Question forum about underwater cameras. I did a search on "underwater camera" on that forum and came up with these results.

Looks like opinions are split: some get the waterproof camera covers, but it appears most folks either buy an underwater camera (some get the dispoables, some get the real deal).

Good luck with your search!

here's a link to a website where you can purchase the disposable underwater cameras for a GREAT price... they are the exact same camera's that you would purchase at Walmart / Walgreens / Target / etc... just much much better priced!

Even with paying the cost of shipping, I still saved money...

http://www.ecamerafilms.com/category_s/36.htm

I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard about the website www.aquapac.net from someone on cc. I have plans to use it on my next cruise. The person who told me about it, said that it rocked and she could even take video with sound UNDERWATER!!!

I had one of the cheapy underwater cameras on our last trip, and they work alright, but I would much rather have my digital so I can pick and choose what pics I actually develop, instead of ending up with 10 good ones and 17 rather crappy ones.....

Whatever you chose, have fun!!:)

Archived