Whale Watching

Swells1

Yes, I did a search and came up with thousands of hits. But, I just think that certain questions are so specific that they have to be asked again. We are going on a 7 day Canada/ New England cruise next year, leaving on Sept 7. Our ports of call are: Bay Of Fundy, Halifax, Sydney and Bar Harbor. Can someone tell me if this is a good time of year to do a whale watch? If so, which is the best place? (I'm asking this early because I'm planning my vacation budget, so any information would be helpful!!)

The Bay of Fundy is home to many species of whale, the most notable being the rare North Atlantic Right Whale. The migration/feeding patterns of the whales are deep in the Bay of Fundy and the best places to take whale-watching tours near Saint John are from Campobello, Grand Manan, and St. Andrews. A cruise on the bay can take you within arm's length of the rarest and second largest mammals in the world, the right and finback whales.

The Bay of Fundy is home to many species of whale, the most notable being the rare North Atlantic Right Whale. The migration/feeding patterns of the whales are deep in the Bay of Fundy and the best places to take whale-watching tours near Saint John are from Campobello, Grand Manan, and St. Andrews. A cruise on the bay can take you within arm's length of the rarest and second largest mammals in the world, the right and finback whales.

I'm personally not a big fan of tours offered by the cruise lines - but in the case of Whale Watching, I would purchase the tour from the ship as doing it yourself is not cost effective due to transportation and by the fact the cruise lines will book up all the available tour boats.

I'm personally not a big fan of tours offered by the cruise lines - but in the case of Whale Watching, I would purchase the tour from the ship as doing it yourself is not cost effective due to transportation and by the fact the cruise lines will book up all the available tour boats.

Thanks for the info. We will see what the ship has to offer.

A couple from our group went whale watching in Halifax and saw nothing. We were told that the whale's food is not present in the Halifax waters at this time.

Thanks for the information. I wonder if Saint John is any better the end of September/first week of October???

Yes, I did a search and came up with thousands of hits. But, I just think that certain questions are so specific that they have to be asked again. We are going on a 7 day Canada/ New England cruise next year, leaving on Sept 7. Our ports of call are: Bay Of Fundy, Halifax, Sydney and Bar Harbor. Can someone tell me if this is a good time of year to do a whale watch? If so, which is the best place? (I'm asking this early because I'm planning my vacation budget, so any information would be helpful!!)

I have not done this myself BUT I got this website from a friend of mine who lives in Nova Scotia and has been whale watching:

http://www.bayoffundy.com/whalewatching.aspx

Valuable info there re: types and best season

Thanks for the information. I wonder if Saint John is any better the end of September/first week of October???
You're definitely late in the season--probably too late. The Canada/NE itinerary dilemma is in choosing the ideal dates: what is ideal for fall colors is not ideal for whale watching. Have to choose one or the other but you probably can't have both! Whale watching is best in late July and August, but fall colors don't happen until late September and October.

You're definitely late in the season--probably too late. The Canada/NE itinerary dilemma is in choosing the ideal dates: what is ideal for fall colors is not ideal for whale watching. Have to choose one or the other but you probably can't have both! Whale watching is best in late July and August, but fall colors don't happen until late September and October.

Thanks. Neither was an important consideration for booking this cruise, so we should be good to go. Whatever we see (be it leaves or whales) will just be a bonus!! That's good info to know though for folks who have these as "to do" things on their list.

Thanks. Neither was an important consideration for booking this cruise, so we should be good to go. Whatever we see (be it leaves or whales) will just be a bonus!! That's good info to know though for folks who have these as "to do" things on their list.
At least you will enjoy the fall colors! ;)

Archived