Ziplining Question

bubbles1209

This may be moved to a different section, but not sure where to post, so I'll start here. We're going to the Southern Caribbean in Feb. and see an excursion for a zipline excursion through the ship in St. Lucia. Anyone ever been on this one, or should I wait until we go to the W. Caribbean to do it, and if so, which port is best? Thanks in advance:)

This may be moved to a different section, but not sure where to post, so I'll start here. We're going to the Southern Caribbean in Feb. and see an excursion for a zipline excursion through the ship in St. Lucia. Anyone ever been on this one, or should I wait until we go to the W. Caribbean to do it, and if so, which port is best? Thanks in advance:)

Hello from Savannah, Ga !

I have only done Zip Line in Belize so cannot speak for other ports of call it is offered in... perhaps go to the ports of call boards and do a little research to better help make the decision.

I really enjoyed our tour in Belize... going thru the rain forests and actually we did a multi tour cave-tubing and zipline... a full day of fun and to see the true beauty and learn the history of Belize that many do not get to experience outside the pier, is breathtaking !

Hi neighbor! What was ziplining like? Scary? What about the physical exertion........strenuous....moderate.....mild? Curios abut anything you can tell me, I've been parasailing before, done the tram ride in St.Thomas, now considering doing this :eek: to cure my fear of heights:eek: . I'm only afraid when it comes to climbing and the chance of being able to fall off/over......that's what gets me, but being up high and being secured some kind of way doesn't seem to bother me. So, and be honest, what is it like?

I've ziplined in both Belize and St Lucia. St Lucia was not as high or as strenous as Belize. It's a lot of fun and very simple - in St Lucia you go over a stream in places and lots of lush foilage -very pretty and not too high.

Belize required a bit of a hike to the begining point and we had to also rappel twice in addition to the ziplines. It was much higher than St Lucia.

I would do either of them again - well worth the $

I am afraid of heights, and not in very great shape. That said, I did the longest one in Costa Rica (or at least it was at the time...15 stations), and was fine (also very proud of myself for not chickening out on something I was afraid of that I hadn't wanted to do in the first place). The young man from NYC in our group was the most afraid of heights, and he was fine, too. Aside from sore abdominal muscles (from the way you had to hold your legs up the way we were harnessed in on that one) the next few days, I had no ill effects.

I probably wouldn't do it again, because I prefer to see the scenery, which I didn't get to do while zipping along and paying attention to the guide at the next tree. And I don't find it thrilling like a rollercoaster. It's like parasailing for me...am I glad I did it? You bet! But I don't need to do it again. It seems like most people I talk to find it exhilarating. I found it a little stressful. But my disappointment was that they advertise them as "a way to see the flora and fauna." I disagree with that statement, and see it as more of an adventure ride.

My family did the zipline and cave tubing excursion in Belize with Nacho & Cynthia. It was so much fun, I'd do it again! We were in a group of 7 people aged 60 to 9.

First you get outfitted with the harness and a hard hat and then walk upwards thru the rain forest for about 10 minutes. You can walk at your own pace and take a break if you need it. There are paths to follow and sometimes stairs to climb. It's not really strenuous -- just a little bit.

The first zip line is short and not very high up. As you go from zip line platform to platform they get longer and higher. The last zip line is really long and way up there! Then you repel down from the last one.

You are completely harnessed into the safety lines whenever you are on a platform. It's scary, but a "good scary!" You know that you are safe but your heart is still beating like crazy! And when it's all over you have such a great feeling of accomplishment.

You should definitely do the zip line! If you're going to Belize I would do it there because after getting sweaty in the rain forest, you can cool off while cave tubing.

Good luck!

Archived