Glory Review: 09/08/07 - 09/15/07

KenMo

Just me and DH cruised this time.

We flew in the day before and stayed at Comfort Inn and Suites. It was okay, but if I were to do it again I'd stay at Radisson or Country Inn and Suites. They're both much closer to the port.

I asked the guy at the desk if there would be cabs outside the next morning or would we need to call one. He said we would have to use Art's Shuttle because we couldn't get in the port until 11am. Liar, liar pants on fire! I told him I didn't think that was true, but he insisted and DH said to let it go. He probably knew better than I. Next morning, DH said....you're right....he's a liar! Don't let them scam you on this. My theory is the hotel is in cahoots with Art's Shuttle. Helping old Art make more money and probably getting a kickback.

Nonetheless, we were on the ship by 12:30. It really was an easy embark and I have no complaints about it.

We had cabin #7435. We loved the location....a balcony on Empress deck, second to the last from the wraparound cabin. The only problem was we were surrounded by rude, inconsiderate neighbors, on both sides and across the hall.

The ones across the hall would come in from partying at all hours screaming and yelling. Apparently, one night, one of the "ladies" had a problem needing a bathroom. The whole aft of the ship could hear her....I swear!

Neighbors all around slamming doors. I tried to slam my balcony door and it was impossible. I guess that thingie that keeps the door from slamming only worked on my door.

The balcony neighbors would be out on the balcony loudly discussing such topics as whether Nostradamus was actually a seer, the existence of God, the Book of Revelation. One night they were singing....er..yelling John Denver songs. Of course.....all while they were drunk. Don't get me wrong - I can drink with the best of 'em. I just try not to infringe on the enjoyment of others.

About the middle of the week, I figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. So about 6:30 - 7am I'd open my cabin door, yell "is it party time???? and slam the door as loud as I could. I hope I woke you jerks up! I was going to start calling their cabins early in the am and act like I had the wrong number, but I figured that might be too much.

So....no peace and quiet on my balcony for me....oh well!

The ship in general looked fine to me. The only complaint is the deck chairs suck! The head end kept coming out of the little niches to raise or lower the head of the chairs. I never did find a chair that worked right. I just made do.

In general, the food was good. My new favorite room service order is the shrimp sandwich.....those things are gooooodd!!! DH said the roast beef in the buffet was tough. But the dining room food was very good. Some people at our table had trouble getting their steaks cooked the way they wanted but finally they worked it out. The prime rib was excellent!!!

I was going to request a table for two, but I'm glad I didn't. We had table #527 (8 top) in Platinum....right by the window. We had really nice table mates and had good conversation during dinner.

Which reminds me.....there was a thread on here before I left about sitting in the same chairs every night. Well, the first two nights there were just four of us. The next night was formal, so everyone showed up. There were people in our chairs!!!!! I was steaming!!!! You don't bother to show up until the third night and have the nerve to sit in my chair??? LOL....it all worked out. We sat across from one of the new couples. Turned out we had a lot in common and had a really good time!

Our dining room team were really great. We especially liked Edmundo from the Phillipines. He was leaving the ship the same day we got off and going home. When he comes back, he'll be on Imagination. The head waiter was Spitz from India. He was a little odd....he kind of started stalking one of the women at the table. Looking for her in the lounges and calling her cabin to give her more food!!! I thought that was kind of strange.

Our cabin steward was Stephanus....can't remember where he's from....sorry, Stephanus!! I finally got him to fill my cooler with ice. Took a couple of days to get him to unlock the fridge. He said if I wanted everything removed, I could put it up on the counter. Yeah.....take up all my counter space. I just left everything in there. It doesn't keep things very cold anyway.

Key West and Nassau: We stayed on the ship at these ports. The weather in KW was really not the best. It was raining all morning until we got there, cleared up for a couple of hours and then rained again. We really enjoyed the ship while everyone went to Nassau. So nice being able to enjoy the pool without being splashed and cannonballed every time you turn around.

Cozumel: We went to Paradise Beach. It was nice, but still just a beach. The first row of chairs are right up to the water, which I like, but there was such a slope that I always felt like I was sliding out of the thing. After that, we went to the square and ate and drank margaritas. Delicious food and drinks!!

Progreso: There is a free shuttle that drops you off in town. This is where you will go to get the free shuttle back to the ship that runs every 20 minutes. After we were dropped off, we took a left and walked two blocks to the beach. Beach chairs were $3 pp. One of the guys would walk back and forth bringing beers. They were $2 each. The water isn't the best but it was still nice. After the beach, we were walking back to the bus stop and decided to go into a bar. They had $1 beers and free tequila shots. We had lots of fun there!!! Great opportunity to brush up on my Spanish. I really must teach DH that mujeres means "women". LOL...he kept going in the wrong bathroom.

We had early flight tags, #4, and were off the ship by 8am. Cocoa Beach shuttle met us there at 9am. People.....when you have a shuttle meeting you somewhere, can you be on time???? It is so rude to make others wait an hour for you. But another lesson learned. Next time I'll be hiring a private car.

Well....that's all I can think of. I'd be happy to answer any questions. I really did have a good time.....I always do on a cruise!

I didn't meet up with anyone on the Roll Call. The aft pool bar, well the entire aft pool area, is no smoking. No hanging out there for me. And the other M&G was at 2pm (at least last I heard) on a Sea Day. My butt is outside on Sea Days. But, I hope everyone had a great cruise!!

Now I'm off to research my 05/10/08 Triumph cruise.....can't wait to get my butt back on a ship!!!

I was in room 7307! I enjoyed everything except Progresso! I hated that port!!!!!

Hey neighbor!!! I know you were too far down the hall to be one I wrote about...lol!

What did you guys do in Progreso???

Thanks for the nice review. I'll be on Glory for a back to back cruise at the end of November. Question - Did they have butterscotch and chocolate toppings next to the ice cream and yogurt machines? They had it on Liberty, and it was really nice, but they didn't have it on Valor.

I can relate to your problem with slamming balcony doors. It was really bad when we had a balcony cabin on Liberty. That was the first time we had a balcony, and we had to put up with the noise from the various inconsiderate people. The couple in the cabin to the left of us got into an argument about slamming doors - he was all over her about slamming the door every time she came in and out - so what does she do? She goes in and lets the door slam. I'd be out there trying to snooze and someone would let a door slam and I'd come out of my skin. It got really old by the end of the week. At times I'd be out on the balcony and it would be "boom, boom, boom, boom" in quick succession. No peace and quiet. The spring tension on the balcony doors appear to be set pretty strong. I remember the first time I turned loose of the door in our cabin and it slammed hard.

We will be on the Glory at the end of Oct for the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. Thanks for the review. We are staying at the Radisson annd have heard that taking a cab is just way easier than dealing with the shuttle. Glad you had a good cruise! We have a very large singles group that I see is cruising with us. God help them if screaming starts in the middle of the night. I guess we can always bring earplugs! LOL!

Archived