Post Cruise Depression - Thinking About a Cruise Without the Kids!!!

Rowan555

Just returned Thursday from the Fantasy and have a cruise booked on NCL in December. My kids are 6 and 8 years old and have been on 8 cruises, so I realized today that I should NOT feel guilty about taking a short one without them! I'm considering doing a 4 day on the Fantasy in January. My parents have agreed to watch the kids, and we might even invite some friends to come along. It will be really nice to just relax and do what we want without being "slaves" to the Camp Carnival schedule and to kids who need to get to bed before midnight if they're going to be able to get up and do it all again the next day.

I'm getting pretty excited, and this will ward off any post-cruise-depression we might encounter after our NCL cruise, since it will be only another 5 or so weeks before our next one.

We cruised once without kids - and that was before they were born. This will be our first vacation without the kids since we've had them, so I'm pretty excited at the idea of it. I hope it works out!

Yes I think you deserve a vacation without the kids. . we are taking a cruise without them. . they are still little. . 4 and 5 1/2 and we aren't ready to travel a far distance with them yet. . once they get a few years older we will attempt disney first before putting them on a cruise. Have a great time!! I'm going nuts waiting for march to come for us.. this will be our first official vacation in 7 years. . basically since we were married.

Have fun!!!

Cruising with the kids is a lot of fun, but cruising without them is a real relaxing, rejuvenating vacation. We've been on 3 without ours over the past 4 years and 4 with them. We had a wonderful time each cruise, just a different kind of wonderful for the family cruises and the Mom & Dad cruises. And, yes, there is no better cure for Post Cruise Depression than booking another one. Have fun on both your upcoming cruises.

We cruised once without kids - and that was before they were born. This will be our first vacation without the kids since we've had them, so I'm pretty excited at the idea of it. I hope it works out!

Go and have a good time! Parents need time to reconnect and there is nothing wrong with "forgetting" about being a parent for a few days! Now don't get me wrong, i don't mean you should forget you have kids, but i mean it is nice to only concentrate on yourselves, which you can do when you know the kids are at home and being well taken care of by someone you trust! And of course, remember the saying--

If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy!!:D :D Of course, after re-reading your post and seeing no hint of who wrote it, you can insert the word "daddy" in that phrase if need be!!

Go and have a good time! Parents need time to reconnect and there is nothing wrong with "forgetting" about being a parent for a few days! Now don't get me wrong, i don't mean you should forget you have kids, but i mean it is nice to only concentrate on yourselves, which you can do when you know the kids are at home and being well taken care of by someone you trust!

I couldn't agree more......

My last cruise was without the kids, and my wife and I had the best week we've had together. And please don't get me wrong....home 4 days and I booked to go back with the kids and grandparents

Enjoy!

This will be our first vacation without kids in 17YRS - so Ya I'm pumped!!!!

We are celebrating our 25th Anniversary. I sometimes feel guilty to go without the kids but then I figure they have been the center of every vacation since we had kids and we have done the Disney World 2 yrs in a row and every water park we could find so this time it's just for mom & dad.

If we like cruising we'll just plan on taking them next time.

My entire family (25 in all) sailed to Canada this past August. It was a great time indeed, but my wife and I are taking a CTW in October for a couple of days kids free. If you can get someone to watch the kids for a couple of days I say GO FOR IT!

We were on the same Fantasy cruise without kids. I gotta tell you, make sure both you and your spouse are on the same page, as my dh spent his time missing the kids instead of enjoying the cruise.

I still had a great time though, just wish I could say the same for him.

I'm so sorry he didn't have a good time. We take 3 vacations a year with the kids and I'm a homeschooling mom, so I don't think either of us will feel too guilty or miss the little buggers TOO much during those 4 days. Our cruise normally revolves around the Camp Carnival schedule, and while we LOVE Camp Carnival, it can still be limiting when you have to get kids to bed, get them to and from their activities, etc. I sat down and talked to both kids before we decided to book, and they said they had no problems with us going without them (I was shocked). They're staying with my parents, so it looks like it's a done deal and we're going next January.

Thanks for pointing that out, though - I have good friends who are considering coming along with us, but my big concern is that one or both of them will miss their kids, regret not bringing them, etc. This would be their first cruise, and their younger child is 3 (ours are 6 and 8) so it's a bit more difficult for them to leave her. I'm going to have a long talk with them about this before they book, because I don't want them to get on the ship and be miserable the whole time.

Did ya tell the kids yet? ;) :D

Yesterday, we mentioned to my 7 year old that we were thinking of taking a short little trip without her and her lil sis. And was met with "WHAT????? YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME!" :eek:

HAHAHAHAHAHA good luck. ;) :p

I asked them about it before I asked my parents if they would be willing to keep them. We have a family cruise in December and two more next year, so they had no problem with it at all. If they would have been upset, I probably wouldn't do it. They're excited about staying with their grandparents, so it will be like a treat for them to get to do that. I think they're getting kind of bored with cruises anyway, they know all the Camp Carnival activities by heart ;)

I asked them about it before I asked my parents if they would be willing to keep them. We have a family cruise in December and two more next year, so they had no problem with it at all. If they would have been upset, I probably wouldn't do it. They're excited about staying with their grandparents, so it will be like a treat for them to get to do that. I think they're getting kind of bored with cruises anyway, they know all the Camp Carnival activities by heart ;)

Yeah mine are the exact opposite. They know that staying with grandma is NO treat...lol. ;)

We finally took a cruise (only 4 days) w/o the kids in December (they stayed in FL with the grandparents). They would have MUCH rather have been on the cruise with us, but it was DEFINITELY a great time without them!!! We went with another couple (they left their kids in FL with the grandparents too!).

I have my eye on a 12/15 cruise with just DH. Waiting to see if price comes down more because, realistically, I cannot justify another cruise right now (we have a fabulous cruise planned for February). Not sure who would watch the kids either. But if the price is right, I will figure it out.

Another bonus for not taking the kids: it is so much less expensive to cruise when it's not a school holiday!

It is fun with the kids, but it is really FUN without them! (I definitely would not have has as much fun in Margaritaville in Key West if I had my kids with me!)

I'm so sorry he didn't have a good time. We take 3 vacations a year with the kids and I'm a homeschooling mom, so I don't think either of us will feel too guilty or miss the little buggers TOO much during those 4 days. Our cruise normally revolves around the Camp Carnival schedule, and while we LOVE Camp Carnival, it can still be limiting when you have to get kids to bed, get them to and from their activities, etc. I sat down and talked to both kids before we decided to book, and they said they had no problems with us going without them (I was shocked). They're staying with my parents, so it looks like it's a done deal and we're going next January.

Thanks for pointing that out, though - I have good friends who are considering coming along with us, but my big concern is that one or both of them will miss their kids, regret not bringing them, etc. This would be their first cruise, and their younger child is 3 (ours are 6 and 8) so it's a bit more difficult for them to leave her. I'm going to have a long talk with them about this before they book, because I don't want them to get on the ship and be miserable the whole time.

The funny this is that we came home a night early instead of staying in NO for a night, and neither of the kids' came home as they were having too much fun with Grandparents and friends! lol

They were fine without us, and I'm sure the break was good for everyone involved! I hope you enjoy your trip... it's always great to take mommy and daddy time... I call it family insurance!

Archived