Honeymoon cruise - HELP!

cruise info

We've never cruised before but are going to take a cruise for our honeymoon and don't know where to start. We don't know what cruise line to choose or what boat to be on. We'd prefer more of an adult atmosphere since it will be our honeymoon. Please send any tips, ideas or advice for honeymoon cruisers you have. Thank you!!!

We've never cruised before but are going to take a cruise for our honeymoon and don't know where to start. We don't know what cruise line to choose or what boat to be on. We'd prefer more of an adult atmosphere since it will be our honeymoon. Please send any tips, ideas or advice for honeymoon cruisers you have. Thank you!!!

Do you plan on using a travel agent? If so, they will be able to help you figure out what you want. I personally don't use a travel agent, i always call the cruiseline directly to book a cruise. If you are not using a TA, then first you need to know the date you want to leave, then you need to decide where you want to leave from and whether you will be able to drive to that port or fly. You need a budget and then you need to decide which ship has what you want on it. I would think if you are on your honeymoon, you would not want to cruise on Disney! Also, remember that when school is out, there will be more kids on ships. Do a search here on Cruise Critic using "key" words and you will likely find more info. Also google words or phrases that will help you decide how to choose. All the info you are likely to find can be quite confusing so either book with a TA or prepare to do your research! Good luck!! :)

Thanks! We are getting married March 1, hoping to find a cruise that leaves March 2-3-4 and we don't care from where. We will fly to whichever port the ship leaves from. I am open to using a travel agent if they can get me a better deal than i can get by contacting the cruise line on my own. Thanks for the info, i'll take all the info i can get!

Congratulations on the up-coming nuptials- and welcome to Cruise Critic. Since your honeymoon will be in the midst of Spring Break time, I suggest avoiding certain cruiselines (Carnival is one example) as well as shorter cruises, as more college age party-goers will be cruising at that time. This assumes, of course, that you want to cruise in the Caribbean (or the Mexican coast), rather than in the Mediterranean area. Can you cruise for more than one week? Several cruiselines have 9 day cruises (and most college breaks are only one week). And this could fit your schedule better, too; many week long cruises run from Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday. Also, cruises from San Juan are less likely to get large groups of College kids, since you have to pay more to get there, plus it adds travel time. Fly there a few days before the cruise; several cruise llines have week long cruises from San Juan.

As far as using a TA, this might be a good idea for you- you're going to be very busy with all the last minute wedding plans- let someone else handle the cruise issues. A good TA should be able to get a very competitive rate for you. You'll read here that many of us do better on our own- but we're constantly on-line checking various sites, plus many of us can wait until the last minute to book a cruise (to get a good price). You'll need to get your honeymoon arranged fairly soon.

Which cruiselines? All have their pluses and minuses. But any of the "mainline" ones would be fine- if you want a more formal atmosphere, I suggest Celebrity; HAL is also wonderful. A little less formal- go for Princess or Royal Caribbean. NCL has a slightly different style due to their Freestyle concept (no set dining arrangements, minimal dress codes, etc). Read through some of each cruiseline's forum here on Cruise Critic. All these lines (even Carnival) will offer a great cruise. Therefore, you may end up choosing a cruise by the available date, the price and the itinerary rather than by the cruiseline.

One last word of advice- make sure the beds in your cabin can be put together to form a queen-size bed!

If you go on longer cruises such as 10 -14 days there will be less children. Also Celebritiy and Holland America are more Adult orinted then the others. One way voyages are also less children due to the higher airfares required for this.

Although know one can name an on line agency here if you look around many are mentioned. Some of them have extra offers such as on board credit or wine or free insurance. When you do pick a TA Talk with them first before you go ahead with booking. You can put a cabin on hold and go to another TA and see if they can sweeten the deal. The prices are fixed by the Cruiseline but TA will offer other things to help out.

If you do fly in suggest that you come the day before so you and new hubby/wife can rest up before going on the ship at noon.

I sincerely believe that, for your first cruise, (and a honeymoon cruise, to boot) you should use a cruise savvy travel agent. He/she will be able to ask you all the right questions to determine the best cruise for you, based on length of cruise, cost, demographics, accommodations, ports, dining experience, excursions, "dress code", on-board activities, etc.

While we use (exclusively) an online travel agent (who gives us superb service), there are so many choices for cruising.... First-timers may have some difficulty sorting out all those choices and creating appropriate priorities.

But rest assured... you will have a wonderful experience!

Welcome to CC, congratulations and click here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

You might start by playing around with "find a cruise" on most any cruise website - plug in your dates and check what comes up - look at the ports, times in port, $$, etc. You might find yourself excited by a couple destinations you hadn't known you "just have to see."

Congratulations and good luck!!!

Welcone to CC!! Everything you read here or on other boards will be just the opinion of the writer. With that loud and clear, I suggest visiting a local TA. Ask for different cruise line brochures so you can review things at home and limit your choices. You do not need to book with them but you may decide to after finding out what a good help they can be. (I personally do not use one but book on line) You can also, visit lots of on line sites to check out deals on your sailing dates. Remember, you will need a passport next year. The line, ship, itinerary and pricing all go into making your cruise a great cruise. Look at the ports and number of sea days. When you are sailing, there should not be alot of children on any line as most will be in class. Others have said, Celebrity is a bit more upscale and maybe it is the "adult" you are shearching for. I have sailed with Celebrity and love her. Also, many other lines/ships. Each line/ship for different reasons at different times. ALL great cruises! You will be on your Honeymoon. My first cruise ever was for my honeymoon (many yrs ago!). I think it is wonderful that you are taking the time to ask questions and shop around. This will be the cruise to make the most memories. Have a wonderful wedding, a great honeymoon and a fantastic cruise!!!!!

I'd also recommend a balcony since that will be spring break time there will be a lot of kids or college kids which is worse on board. This way you can have your privacy. I have finally found a great travel agent I like that is helpful. But many have been on as many cruises as you belive it or not so are not that helpful. Ask what cruises they have been on and if they don't like a cruiseline find out why. Many only go off hearsay from clients and that is so very subjective. I have been warned away from cruise lines that I have thoroughly enjoyed when I went anyway. :) debbie

IMO, an experienced cruise travel agent is your best bet, not just to assure you get the best value but also to match you with the best fit in cruise lines. Ask for recommendations from people you trust, check the newspapers for bridal events/travel shows in your area. As with anything, you should work with an agent who understands your particular needs and priorities, who listens to you and who has actually sailed on a variety of lines so can speak from experience, not purely opinion.

Do you want to dress for dinner? Is a set dinner time good for you or do you prefer the option to dine when you wish? Do you want a table for 2 or is sitting with others fine with you? Do you want lots of activities or do you want some downtime in a quiet atmosphere? What's your budget?

Cruises are NOT one size fits all.

The first week in March should be free from most spring breakers but I would check that out further. I daresay you would not want to be on a 3000 passenger ship with 1000 under 21s aboard, but perhaps that would be ok with you.

Do you love beaches? Check out the Southern Caribbean. More interested in shopping? Eastern is a good fit.

Spring for a balcony to enjoy privacy and your own special space.

Have fun planning!

As a fellow honeymooner and first-time cruiser, I recommend looking for a cruise that leaves 2 days after your wedding. It's set in stone for us now, but we kind of regret our decision to go on a cruise the day after our wedding. We actually switched from an evening wedding to an afternoon wedding so we could fly to Miami the night before. The problem there is that we'll be heading straight from the reception to the airport. It would have been much nicer to have a day to rest & pack up in between. So.. just keep that in mind. :)

FYI, we took a cruise on RCI's Jewel of the Seas for our honeymoon asr it was the best available choice for us when our chosen ship, Regent Voyager, cancelled less than 72 hours prior due to pod problems.

Jewel is beautiful but RCI is first and foremost a family cruise line. Even though the kids were supposedly in school and we thought we would be safe, there were many infants and small kids and they were everywhere. I would stay away from RCI unless you are okay with lots of kids running amok.

RCI is first and foremost a family cruise line.

Agreed. Personally, and this is just my little opinion, if I were cruising for my honeymoon I would avoid Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian. Maybe even Princess too. I'd also avoid the Caribbean, and anything shorter than 8 nights. I love kids, and I love families, but honeymoons are for couples. :)

I'd suggest looking at Princess and at Celebrity.

We did a cruise the first week of March a couple of years back and didn't see many kids. Most little kids have off any time from mid March to mid April for spring break. That said, I would avoid Carnaval because that line does tend to attract more kids.

If you decide to go with RCCL, then avoid the Voyager class or Freedom class since those ships tend to attract more kids than the Radiance class, (Serenade, Brilliance, Jewel or Radiance).

I think first week of March is a good time to avoid most families so I think you should be safe from being around too many kids.

Archived