Grand Princess - Canadian Cocktail

MRS TIGGYWINKLE

Hi there, I am new to this site (from the UK) and wondered if anyone has any recommendations regarding shore excursions or independent trips that we should consider doing on our forthcoming Canadian Cocktail cruise on Grand Princess 8th October. We will have our two daughters aged 11 and 9 with us and don't want them to be bored. Thank you for any advice from you seasoned cruisers.

There's actually more to "not miss" than you can possibly do. Here are some ideas.

For New York, come in a couple days early and do some touring. It's a fabulous city.

Barr Harbor - a lobster lunch on the jetty if it's a nice day is a real treat.

St. John - reversing rapids boat ride.

Halifax - it's all good. I'd actually recommend giving the Pegg's Cove tour a miss, and doing something different.

Quebec - a fantastic place just to walk and explore.

I have not taken this cruise, but I have vacationed in Atlantic Canada twice, and loved every minute of it.

Your girls are at the perfect age to do the Anne of Green Gables experience in Charlottetown, if they have seen the movies or read the books.

In St. Johns, the Flower Pot rocks in the Bay of Fundy are interesting, but the best time to see it is at low tide, so you can walk on the ocean floor. At high tide, it's hard to imagine that you can walk along there.

In Sydney, the coal mine tour was very interesting. It was especially fascinating to know that you were actually walking under the ocean!

Halifax is a great city. There is lots to see, and lots of walking and hills to climb. Peggy's Cove is a very small village with very small homes and very large boulders along the shore line....very pretty. Lunenberg is an old fishing village...peaceful and very picturesque.

NYC: The girls would enjoy going to the top of the Empire State Building and seeing Rockefeller Center, Times Square (there is a very large ferris wheel inside the Toys r Us store). If you go on your own excursion, there is a zoo in Central Park, too.

Newport: The mansions were used as summer residences for the very wealthy in the early 20th century. You might enjoy this more than the girls, but they are amazing places.

Bar Harbor: Acadia National Park and Lobster, lobster, lobster...what a beautiful combination.

Quebec: on my list but I haven't made it there yet...maybe a cruise next year!

Hope that gives you some ideas, and enjoy your cruise:)

Andrea

It is a fantastic cruise. Let me suggest that in Newport you mix it up a bit for the little ones - schedule something with a tour of one of the "cottages" but also some sights around the town. If your girls are into "girl" things, they might stand an entire day touring the cottages, but you might get bored. In Boston, by all means go the history route with some of the highlights from our little old rebellion a few centuries ago. Before you leave for the cruise, you might peak their interest with some low key history lessons re: Boston and it's role in the revolution. This worked with my nieces, nephews, and step kids before our vacations.

I have to agree with Spongerob on the other ports. In Quebec, well, you could spend a few days there post cruise and not see all that is worth seeing. Again, you might want to do a little history lesson, note that it is one of only three walled cities in North America (Charleston and St. Augustine are the others), and was the site of some important battles. So plan to walk the ramparts and enjoy the views, spend a little time on the Plains of Abraham, and then concentrate on the fantastic ambience that is inside the walls. In the lower city, at port level, you can see the levels of the St. Lawrence over the last few centuries marked in stones on the cobblestone street itself.

One fantastic thing, IMHO, is to get a table in the bar/lounge at the Chateau Frontenac, and watch the sun go down over the river and the lights start to twinkle. We spent a lovely late afternoon there, and has a late dessert after lunch elsewhere, along with lovey capuccino. The prices are ridiculous, so go somewhere else for dinner - there are so many wonderful little bistros inside the walls and all an easy walk.

It is a very port intensive itinerary, so even though Princess has a nice children's program, the girls are not going to be spending very much time during the day involved there. Perhaps they will find a few evening activities that interest them on board.

Have a fantastic cruise and enjoy all the marvelous fall colors and the wonderful ports.:)

If you are interested in the historical aspects of touring..then you can not miss Historic Properties on the Halifax waterfront...it mixes the old with some fantastic shopping. You may even like a tour on the Bluenose schooner that is docked there. Also visit Citadel Hill for a wonderful view/tour and see how the port was fortified in days of yore. I am sure there are city tours that will give you many interesting tidbits because the area is absolutely full of history, titanic graves, halifax explosion, picturesque homes, etc

Archived