Hoonah/Icy Strait Point..Anyone been?

d-dfoster

We are on the Mercury June 4 and read the Cruise Critic news story that our ship is now stopping at this port!! Anyone ever been there? or from there? We are puzzled by this LAST minute addition to our itinerary and yet excited!!!

Thanks everyone!
~Donna

Hi Donna,

We just got off of the Mercury this morning. She was the first ship to call on Icy Strait Point and we had a great time. There were a lot of first day jitters and minor inconsistancies, but all in all it was a lot of fun. They have a great vision that is easy to see and once the site is finished (some of the trails dead end too soon and the gravel hasn't been ground in yet) it will be great. Go with an open mind and enjoy!

Hello! There is a huge thread on Icy Strait Point in the Alaska message board...seek it out Donna and I think you'll find it interesting.

Towhee, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Icy Strait Point. It was a historical event that left locals crying later that evening with joy. It truly was a tremendous feeling to watch the ship round cannery point for the first time. Of course, like you said, there were a lot of first day jitters, and a few kinks to work out, but soon things will be remedied with experience.

Gunalcheesh (Thank you)

Koo Hook

Haa Aani Aya

Glad to hear that the people there were happy this ship had come. I read the article linked here about the stop and how much planning had gone into it. Its sad to hear people complain about the ships and tourists coming to many places in Alaska, although living in Florida, I can understand the tourist thing [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. Alaska is such a lovely place that its a shame that people are left to feel this way. I like that they planned for only 1 ship at a time and hopefully this wont overrun the town or its resources and will continue to benefit the towns economy and the experience of the Alaska tourist. Good luck. I'll have to try this stop next time since I've been to Juneau/Ketchikan/Skagway on all 3 trips.

Thank you Koo Hook.. I found your thread and had tears in my eyes as you described your home. I am SOOOO excited. It sounds like there are soo many things to see and do there.. I'm overwhelmed.. I don't know where to start! I can't WAIT to go now! I work at Disney and well...sounds like Hoonah is the antithesis! Yahoo.. I say! We'll be there next week..on the Mercury.. look for the woman with the tears in her eyes!

Thanks again..
~Donna

Koo Hook,
Do you know if the Mercury really is calling on Icy Strait Point next week? I am on the June 4 sailing also and would really like to make this stop. The people I spoke with at the cruiseline today didn't have any information on the Mercury stopping there next week.

Laura

Buddy,
We just returned from Alaska on the May 17 Mercury cruise and we were the first cruise ship to visit.
We were tendered to shore at the old cannery/museum. Hoonah itself is about a mile away. You can see both from the ship. There is a dock and a shoretrip building plus a pier and a boardwalk which goes along the beach for a ways.
We saw orcas from the little pier after it was announced they were coming into the bay. THere is a nice restaurant, museum, shops and if you look in the treetops, you can also see eagles.
All of the personnel on shore were very helpful and eager to make sure our stay was a nice one.
Hoonah is a small town and there is no organized transportation to visit the town. My friend, Judy, and I were able to hitch a ride with one of the shop owners from Hoonah. There is a store, gas station, pier and a small harbor there.
The only disappointment was our nature tram tour was cancelled because the gravel roads were still too wet to allow travel. Other people took whale watch tours and saw all kinds of sealife including humpbacks and orcas. They still have work to do but it is worth a stop and looksee.

Carol

12/2004 Spirit(Mexico)
09/2004 Paradise(Panama Canal)
05/2004 Mercury(Alaska)
02/2004 Regal Princess(Hawaii)
01/2004 Ecstasy(Mexico)
12/2003 Ryndam(Sea of Cortez)
09/2003 Paradise(E. Carrib)
02/2003 Conquest(W. Carrib)
05/2002 Elation (Mex.Riviera)

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]Hi everyone....I hope all is well.
I would like to invite you all to join the thread I created on the Alaska board - "Hoonah, Alaska - Icy Strait Point - Alaska's New Destination" I will be able to answer your questions there and it saves me time when I'm looking for all my new friends. SOUND GOOD? So I'll see you there guys......

Aatlein GUNALCHEESH! (A very big thank you)

Koo Hook

Haa Aani Aya

Archived