Wheat Gluten Allergies and Celebrity

Morganw42

I've just learned that I may have Celiac disease (wheat gluten allergy). I'm having a blood test today to be certain. Having just booked a cruise on the Millennium I'm nervous that I may have a restricted diet. Has anyone had any experience with a wheat gluten allergy on Celebrity? Were they able to provide gluten-free dishes? If so, was the food any good or was it just treated like an inconvenience by the kitchen?

Thanks,

Morgan

I'm sorry! I don't have any experience with Celebrity (have only cruised Princess), but I also have Celiac. With Princess, there is a spot on the cruise "personalizer" (not sure what the equivalent is on Celebrity) where you go in to fill out preferences and on the dining part of that was a place to check "gluten-free". It also gave a fax number and said that requests should be faxed to that number. I've done that for my upcoming cruise (and the last one too). Once on board I contact the Maitre'D and discuss the situation with him.

Like I say, no experience with Celebrity, but maybe you can contact their food services department before your cruise.

I had real good luck on the Mercury. Didn't even tell them the first few days, but the waiter noticed I didn't eat the bread and then I asked one night if something had breading. Next thing I knew he had the maitre d' and some gluten-free bread at my side.

From that day my meals were reviewed ahead. No problems.

• 10 months later...
I've just learned that I may have Celiac disease (wheat gluten allergy). I'm having a blood test today to be certain. Having just booked a cruise on the Millennium I'm nervous that I may have a restricted diet. Has anyone had any experience with a wheat gluten allergy on Celebrity? Were they able to provide gluten-free dishes? If so, was the food any good or was it just treated like an inconvenience by the kitchen?

Thanks,

Morgan

I have celiac as well. The Norwegian Dawn had gluten-free stuff on board (bread, pasta, pizza dough, etc). U want to contact the food manager prior to your cruise. NCL Dawn sent me a list of foods that I could or could not eat and when I get on board I have a meeting scheduled to go over it. From my experience they seem pretty good about it. In fact, the cruise being self contained kind of makes it much easier to deal with the food allergies.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother in Law is also allergic to Gluten. She had no problems at all on Princess and on Celebrity. Just make sure you tell your travel agent what is going on and ask them to notifiy the cruiseline. They will be happy to accomidate you.

Have a great trip!

Trey

Morgan,

You will have to submit your dietary requests to the Special Services Department no later than 21 days prior to sailing if US and 60 days otherwise. This is an old brochure so check for current information on the website. I always request a confirmation that the request has been received.

I've cruised with Celebrity 5 times since gf and each cruise has been better. I was never made to feel like I was an inconvenience.

Familiarize yourself with the diet as much as you are able prior to your trip. You may want to carry some snacks to keep in your stateroom such as cookies, crackers, nuts. I also carry cereal since none is available onboard. Be sure to carry any meds you may need - cold, flu - whatever as you won't be able to check for gluten while at sea.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my Celiac diagnosis over 4 years ago, I have cruised with Princess, NCL, RCI, and Carnival. All have been very helpful. What most do is bring me the menu the night before. They help me with what is GF, then I choose what I'll have to eat the next night. They will also bring me GF bread, but it usually isn't all that good, so I ask them not to bring it again.

Funny story, my waiter on my last cruise had to try a slice of my bread that I hadn't touched! He thought it was awful! :D I then encouraged the assistant maitre'd (who was the one to take my order every night) to try it. She also thought it was bad! I just learn to live without bread, for the most part. There is so much good food, I get more than enough to eat!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived