A wonderful first cruise!

travellover3

Many thanks to all of you for your information on this board. Just returned from the Princess cruise/tour (8/29 land 13S) and cruise (Coral 9/3). All of it more than exceeded my expectations, and I felt so prepared for everything I'd need, thanks to you all.

Though the weather in general was not great, it only impacted us in Juneau, when our helicopter/glacier walk was canceled due to a turn in the weather on the glacier. We were strapped in with headphones on and ready to lift off, when they told us we couldn't go. It was a big disappointment, but out of our control, so we found other things to do. I believe that it cleared later that day and the afternoon bookings were able to go, so that was good. We also loved the White Pass Rail excursion in Skagway. Saw a black bear foraging very close to the road!

We truly enjoyed the Princess land portion and the lodges. We appreciated the friendly and knowledgeable staff and the constant attention to details. Nothing was overlooked. Took the Tundra Wilderness Tour (thanks to you) and saw some outstanding wildlife and got some great photos. Another excitement was that Mt. McKinley came out. On the first afternoon, we got the top and bottom well out of the clouds, and the next morning we got the central portion. I'm going to try to combine the two photos, if that is not cheating. We really enjoyed the trains and beautiful scenery, along with the excellent commentary. If I can return to Alaska (hopefully), I may consider independent land, but I sure enjoyed the service on this tour.

As for my first cruise...I'm ready for the next! The beauty of the fjords and glaciers is undescribable. I loved every minute of the sailing, as well. It has been hard to adjust to "real life". I have no other cruise to compare this cruise with, but was totally satisfied and comfortable. The Coral is a very pleasant environment and, even with nearly 2000 passengers, I never saw many in a single area, except in the dining rooms. Ate in the Bordeaux dining room for most meals and found the food and choices very good, with some things exceptionally good.

In anticipation of the next cruise (Panama Canal), I purchased a FCC. Never thought it would be so great! I am a true convert.

Archived