Naples

Other than going to the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Capri and seeing Pompeii, what else is there to do in the port of Naples? We definitely want to have pizza in Naples but I was hoping there was something more to do than that? Is it worth spending time to tour Naples? If we were to do the ship tour with the Amalfi coast, Pompeii and Sorrento, would there still be time to walk around Naples and then have pizza? I tried doing a search a few weeks back, but everyone was talking about doing things other than visiting Naples. Thanks in Advance:o

Naples is a working city, and is not particularly attractive or filled with tourist sights. There can also be problems with regard to theft and you need to have your wits about you, although we didn't experience any particular problems when we were there last year.

The main tourist attraction is the National Archeological Museum, which has some of the mosaics, frescoes, etc. which were removed from Pompeii. They are stunning, and well worth a visit.

Other nearby attractions include Vesuvius, where you can walk up to the crater, Herculaneum which is a smaller version of Pompeii, and the royal palace at Caserta.

Paul S

Naples is a working city, and is not particularly attractive or filled with tourist sights. There can also be problems with regard to theft and you need to have your wits about you, although we didn't experience any particular problems when we were there last year.Paul S
I have to say too that there are good reasons why there aren't a lot of posts here about Naples. I've spent a couple of days there on two separate ground trips, but the other options from this port that were mentioned are better options in my opinion.

Have a great trip,

Donna

I plan to use the Ho/Ho bus, link attached. Then if you want pizza, you can hop off/hop on and not be at the mercy of any pickpockets or scruffy folks. If you are doing more than just Naples, if you save your ticket, they give you 10% off in other ports (Rome, Florence, Pisa, Palermo).

Then if you still want to go to Pompeii/Sorrento, take the Circumvesuvia (sp?) train.

If you are talking about a one day stay only, there will be no time to do much in Naples when you take part in a tour to the Amalfi coast, Pompeii and Sorrento. Pompeii alone could make for a full day (or several days).

Nevertheless there are many sights to see in Naples. Museums other than the aformentioned archeological museum include for example the art museum on a hill overlooking the city and the museum in the royal palace next to the port. On the historic main street several beautiful and interesting churches await you as like as a wonderful tiled cloister of a monastery. The cathedrale is also not far.

Just to give you an idea of some of the many options in Naples, a city that some give a bad reputation, but hides important treasures of architecture and art.

Naples is a love-it or hate-it kind of city. I hated it the first time (1990) and loved it the second time (1998), so I can't wait to return to explore more of Naples.

There are LOTS of things to see in Naples. The Archeo. museum has been mentioned, as well as the Duomo. There is also San Severo with its fabulous "Veiled Christ" a must-see. There is the Palazzo Reale, the Galleria Umberto (glass covered shopping arcade), Castel Nuovo, the Catacombs of San Gennaro, via Toledo and its Spanish quarter, the area of Spaccanapoli (a great neighborhood street, but watch your wallet), Santa Chiara, the Underground of Naples (which shows the ruins of the ancient Greeks and Romans), Castel dell'Ovo (Egg Castle - very picturesque), etc.

Give Naples a try but do be careful.

Monica

Naples is a love-it or hate-it kind of city.

I agree - it's an urban jungle (e.g. just crossing the street along Via Toledo takes steely nerves) but what makes it so unique and exciting to me makes my wife very nervous.

I enjoy Naples for all the reasons you mentioned; in addition, the Bay of Naples with Vesuvius looming in the background has to be one of the most beautiful sights in the world, especially when viewed from Santa Lucia at dusk or from Certosa San Martino.

Thanks for the input everyone. I would like to see the veiled Christ. I've seen pictures of it on the travel channels and it looks impressive. So much plannning to do and I will be careful.

I've been looking forward to seeing it myself. The sculpture with the fishnet (out of marble??) looks even more incredible

Here's a link to some basic info.

http://www.igougo.com/travelcontent/JournalEntryActivity.aspx?BusinessCardID=94323&oIndex=1&Mode=10

We'll be arriving in Naples by train and leaving by ferry 6 hours later. In the meanwhile I'd like to store out baggage so we can do some sightseeing.

We've used the convenient baggage check at Centrale in the past but I'd like to avoid backtracking to the train station to pick it back up again this time.

Anyone know if the ferry terminal offers a baggage storage facility or if there's one close by? TIA

Thanks for the input everyone. I would like to see the veiled Christ. I've seen pictures of it on the travel channels and it looks impressive. So much plannning to do and I will be careful.

http://www.museosansevero.it/eng/opere/velato.htm Here's a web site to the veiled Christ. I saw it in 1998 and still remember it to this day. It's an incredible piece of sculpture.

Walking across ANY busy street in Italy is a challenge. The key to it is NOT to hessitate, otherwise the driver will hit you, as he may miss seeing your hessitation.

Monica

Thanks, I forgot about the fishnet sculpture - yes, it's made from marble.

Monica

But was this incredible tangle of rope really chisled by hand ??? - or did the sculptor find some way of bathing the whole thing in a solution of calcium carbonate which was then solidified ???

Similarly for The Veiled Christ ... ???

But was this incredible tangle of rope really chisled by hand ??? - or did the sculptor find some way of bathing the whole thing in a solution of calcium carbonate which was then solidified ???

Similarly for The Veiled Christ ... ???

Not sure. I know the veiled Christ is carved out of marble. Here's an interesting web site: http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~jmatthew/naples/blog18.htm Scroll down about 1/2 way through the page.

I'll have to see what I can find on the other piece.

Monica

The fishnet sculpture is called: Release from Deception by Francesco Queirolo. Go here for a photo of it: http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/q/queirolo/deceptio.html

No instance in Italian sculpture in this period is more extreme than the Sansevero Chapel in Naples, which was transformed into a a sculptural pantheon by Raimondo di Sangro, Prince of Sansevero, in the 1750s. By importing Antonio Corradini from Venice and Francesco Queirolo (1704-1762) from Genoa, the Prince of Sansevero evolved an elaborate programme of monuments and medallions to celebrate generations of his family, each in the light of a guiding virtue. The subjects of the tombs included Sincerity, Religious Zeal and Liberality, but the most remarkable works are Corradini's Modesty and Queirolo's Release from Deception. Paired in the chapel's presbytery, they were conceived as monuments to the patron's mother and father respectively.

The Release from Deception shows a man's emergence from the snares of error. It is, in fact, a self-portrait of the sculptor, as he is being helped from a net of cords by his own intellect, shown in the guise of a winged boy; the intellect points at the world, the source of deception, with a sceptre.

Monica

Hiring a driver can be expensive for just two people. Also keep in mind you are paying for just the car service, no guide. I'm planning to spend about 2.5 hours in Pompeii. I will take a taxi with 2 friends to the train station and take the train to the Pompeii scavi stop. Will come back, have PIZZA for lunch and try to see a few sights before going back to the ship. I've read one can spend hours at Pompeii, but I want a taste of both areas for the day. This is an expensive way to get to/from Pompeii. Will probably hire a guide at the entrance of the Pompeii site and for the three of us it should be very inexpensive.

If you really want a driver, I would suggest you find another couple to share in the expenses.

Monica

Other than going to the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Capri and seeing Pompeii, what else is there to do in the port of Naples? We definitely want to have pizza in Naples but I was hoping there was something more to do than that? Is it worth spending time to tour Naples? If we were to do the ship tour with the Amalfi coast, Pompeii and Sorrento, would there still be time to walk around Naples and then have pizza? I tried doing a search a few weeks back, but everyone was talking about doing things other than visiting Naples. Thanks in Advance:o

We did the Amalfi coast tour (loved it) but I don't think there would have been time to add time in Naples - our friends went on the Pompeii trek and also were pretty tight on time.

Archived