The Carribean with a three-year old

Ginger11

Hello, I am sailing to the Carribean with my three-year old son on the QM2 in November. We will be stopping at Tortola, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Thomas and St. Lucia. I will probably leave him in the daycare center while we are in one or two of these ports to enjoy some time on my own, but I also want to take him ashore with me on some of the islands.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what shore excursions or activities in these ports are good for small children? My son is very active and inquisitive and generally loves animals.

I thought we might take the scenic train ride on St. Kitts since he also like trains. Has anyone taken their children on that?

Thanks

Ginger

Any of these port will most likely have wonderful beaches that you could spend some time at. In St. Thomas the tram to the top of the mountain at the port (I forget what it's called) is a lot of fun and you'll get great photos from up there.

I would also suggest going to the Ports of Call boards and looking up each individual port for ideas of things to do. For me, the best part of planning a cruise is deciding how to spend our days in ports. Enjoy surfing these boards!

Hi Ginger,

We are also taking our 3 year old to the southern caribbean in November!! I found some info on the St. Thomas board on Emerald Beach. It said there is a small park and spray area for the kids. Emerald beach also has two resorts on it as well. Check out the port of call boards as they have lots of great info:)!

Check ahead with Cunard about the day care rules. Most ships will not let you leave your child in their care while you are off ship.

We love going to Megan's Bay in St.Thomas because the water is so calm. In Tortola, we took a water taxi to The Baths and spent the day exploring rocks.

We have also taken him on a Catamaran ride in Barbados. He enjoyed that (we always bring our own life vest) because of the ride and seeing sea turtles and flying fish.

Our 3 y/o, also, loves trains. We are going to St. Kitts for first time in Dec on Princess so I will have to look into that train ride you mentioned. I'd love to hear what you thought of it--if you remember. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi I just want to say thank you for your suggestions about what to do with my three-year old while cruising the carribean. We are signed up for Megan's Beach in St. Thomas and the scenic train ride on St. Kitts. I am going to leave him in the daycare center while I enjoy some adult time on the other islands.

By the way, I did double check with Cunard. They will watch him all day in the daycare center if I am on one of their shore excursions. I just have to sign up the day before.

I'll let those the family who wanted to know how the train ride goes.

Ginger

Check ahead with Cunard about the day care rules. Most ships will not let you leave your child in their care while you are off ship.

We love going to Megan's Bay in St.Thomas because the water is so calm. In Tortola, we took a water taxi to The Baths and spent the day exploring rocks.

We have also taken him on a Catamaran ride in Barbados. He enjoyed that (we always bring our own life vest) because of the ride and seeing sea turtles and flying fish.

Our 3 y/o, also, loves trains. We are going to St. Kitts for first time in Dec on Princess so I will have to look into that train ride you mentioned. I'd love to hear what you thought of it--if you remember. ;)

It is not true that most cruise lines won't let you leave the child in the daycare while you are off the ship. In fact, they most certainly do. Cunard, Royal Caribbean, Disney, Celebrity among others do. That is one of the best thing about them.

To the OP- you are going to love the QM2!

QE2 was my first cruise with my Dad many years ago. Loved it. I still like crossings the best! (Have 10-10-08 already booked, her last into NY) All of the suggestions are first rate. Try to save St Kitts as a day for you. All the other items are really good for the 3 yr old so you will have to decide what port has something YOU both want to do. St Kitts has a fort on a steep hill that allows for some great pics. They say if it is clear you can see 6 islands (we saw 5). There are rainforest and volcano hikes and even mt biking offered. Enjoy your cruise!!!

• 1 month later...

"Our 3 y/o, also, loves trains. We are going to St. Kitts for first time in Dec on Princess so I will have to look into that train ride you mentioned. I'd love to hear what you thought of it--if you remember." ;)

Hi, I hope you haven't left already!!! I took my three-year old son on the scenic train ride in St. Kitts and it was great. Lots of beautiful overlooks and lots of goats and other animals to point out along the tracks. The train did breakdown at one point and we were stuck for about 30 mins. That was annoying--I don't know how often that happens, however. It might be a rare event.

There are two levels--the upper one is open and we sat up there for the better views. The wall is high, but depending on your child, you might want to sit below where it is all enclosed. There is a bathroom on board and they serve water and juice (and some stronger drinks for the adults). All and all, it was a very good experience.

The only thing I will say against it is that I thought it was a tad expensive--$99 adult and $79 kids. That was through Cunard, however, it could be cheaper if booked another way.

Ginger

Archived