? about booking & upgrades

ogtiger10

I'm internet shopping for a price on the QM2 President's Day cruise. I've read where a lot of you have gotten upgrades. My questions are:

1. If you book thru an internet TA who has a block of rooms, are you still eligible for an upgrade with Cunard?

2. I'm looking at B5 or B6 cabins. Is there such a thing as a B-type cabin guarantee you can book or does it have to be a certain category? Since B5 & B6 are the lowest balconies and obstructed views, I'd rather book a guarantee and take my chances on getting either one of those or possibly something better for the least amount of money.

3. Are the B5 & B6 cabins really bad views? We've stayed in lots of balconies but none with OV.

This is really a hard decision for me since I'm booking this as a surprise 50th bday for my DH. It's a very short cruise for a lot of money and we also have airfare. But he's really intrigued with the QM2 and Cunard line so I know he'd love it.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

If someone is holding group space, a B3 will price out less expensively than a B6, if they opened their group correctly. I just checked my group contact against FIT rates.

I wouldn't do a B5 guarantee... too many people wind up staring into the side of a lifeboat.

ocmgypz is correct, if you want the very most bang for your buck find an agency with group space. Then you get the extra perks too. Try Cunard's website and their agency locator to find TA's in your area. They are the ones most likely to have space. Good Luck with your search!

Agencies who are apt to have group space, would be national consortia.. and large agencies within driving distance to New York.

Yes, but larger agencies do not always give all the group perks to the clients as the smaller ones tend to do, nor the personalized service. Some do if you can get the same person every time. Didn't notice the OP was from LA, they would be better off searching for one in the NY area then.

I wouldn't do a B5 guarantee... too many people wind up staring into the side of a lifeboat.

I have not minded 'staring at the side of a lifeboat' on the two occasions I have sailed on a crossing....of course a cruise might be different. The B5/B6s are also more sheltered than the AA cabins higher up - Matthew's comment was that it was possible to sit out on my B5 balcony, but too windy/damp on his AA balcony.

Peter

I have not minded 'staring at the side of a lifeboat' on the two occasions I have sailed on a crossing....of course a cruise might be different. The B5/B6s are also more sheltered than the AA cabins higher up - Matthew's comment was that it was possible to sit out on my B5 balcony, but too windy/damp on his AA balcony.

Peter

Peter:

For crossings, I agree wth you. However, for "cruises" especially on this side of the pond, the North American market doesn't take too kindly to the B5. And with the pricing structure on the group contracts doing a B5 gty just doesn't make any sense.

Now, I do like the sheltered balconies.. that lip of metal.. is great for holding your drinks glass!

And with the pricing structure on the group contracts doing a B5 gty just doesn't make any sense.

Does Cunard keep the B5/B6s to themselves to sell/upgrade? Wonder why they price them higher than nominally 'better' cabins.....I have yet to try an in-hull - perhaps this October I'll be 'upgraded' to one......

Peter

Indeed. But on the other hand, you feel more at sea when some of it lands in your face!

But there is no doubt about it - the B5/6 balconies are usable on the Atlantic. Decks 11/12 not really.

Matthew

Archived