Lets talk dress...again.

bigbreeze

My wife begged me to bring my tux on our Baltic Cruise, mainly because she'd gotten me a new flip-flop bow tie and cummerbund for my birthday (shameless plug for Vineyard Vines). I didn't want to but finally relented, though I was certain I'd be the only man with one. As it turned out, I'd say about ten percent of the male passengers wore a tux on the optional formal night. Quite a few also wore them again on our last night at sea. So it's all a matter of personal preference and if you want to go to the trouble of dragging the extra kit along. BTW, Harold, the maitre 'd in the Four Seasons, offered me a job. :) And I am not elderly . . . not yet. I'm growing older but not up.

msescada:

Oh, you activated beautiful memories of our past cruises --- my husband in tux and/or white dinner jacket for formal nights! Hmm.......... delightful memories and experiences.

Love the memories but I'm also glad to have choices and build new memories. NCL is perfect for us right now and we love freestyle cruising!

Donna

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE freestyle...and NPP does too because he does have the freedom not to wear a suit and tie on the 'informal' evenings as one does on Cunard (especially on a crossing). If my previous post suggested that I don't like it, then it shoudn't have...I'll have to go back and re-read. ANyway, the dress up part is wonderful for us especially because we go dancing that night. NOthing quite like being formally dressed and waltzing around a dance floor with a handsome fellow.

It's not just the dress up/dress down issue (and even I will dress down some nights, especially after a long day of touring), but it's the flexiblity with the kids that we just love. They are pretty much welcome anywhere and don't have to be quite as dressed up as we are. My 12.5 yr old son's idea of formal is a dressy collarless shirt with a navy sport jacket and grey slacks. That he puts on shoes instead of sandals is a concession to the mother who loves him dearly. The baby, however, who is 2.5 yrs old, is a clothes hound. That little guy would LOVE a dinner jacket like daddy's including the bow tie and cumberbund, but he wears a nice shirt and slacks and sandals (because I am NOT buying dress shoes for a 2 year old!). THAT's freestyle....my in the blinding, sparkly stuff, NPP in the white dinner jacket, 12.5 yr old son in the navy blazer outfit and little guy wanting to look just like dad. An nobody bats an eye at us!

what about the first and last days out of New York in the Winter. Do you see people in nice jeans and tops?

YOU see EVERYTHING...some get in the pool if it's open. Me? Well I get cold. So you wouldn't see me...you'd just see my coat, hat, gloves, whatever it takes to keep me warm. And that goes for daytime and dinner too.

USNS Upshur (Southampton-New York) 04/1960

USNS Patch (Southampton-New York) 07/1961

Interesting... I never really thought about it that way, but my my first two cruises were on the Upshur - as an Army brat moving to Germany in July of 1959 and on a Mediterranean cruise in the summer of 1960 (We came home in '62 on the United States - my first look at how the other half lived).

I remember the New York - Hamburg run principally as the first and only time I was ever seasick; we probably shouldn't talk about what I remember from the Med cruise. I saw the Upshur again in Danang, Vietnam, in '71 when they were using her to ferry Korean troops in and out of country.

Archived