Carnival's Canadian Discount Fairy

ECP

We have found that american express has the lowest conversion charge.

I just called in and made final payment on our Christmas cruise today (payment not due until Oct 6, but I dont want to tempt fate. ) Even if the CAD goes above USD, I still think I did ok:) If only CAD will stay up there for the cruise then the on-board bill will be easier to handle

master card is doing 2.5% i believe. I am surprised amex was low normally everything they do is high. THey charge the highest % in fee's to the merchant that is why a lot of merchants wont accept amex. Yes i know people will say i have never had an issue but i am just speaking from experience i use to setup integrated debit/credit for Point of sale and lots of merchants did not even accept amex due to the % i heard it was around the 10% where visa is like 2 but not the less i agree getting the dollar on par or close to is a good enough deal for me.

Sailorwife carnival does not deal with the exchange rate the credit card company does. Carnival just sends you card a bill for a amount in USD your car does the rest.

right now royal is giving my avion visa 0.9827 cents on the dollar which is a really good deal i hope tomorrow for it to be higher as for abit today we did hit par.

We have found that american express has the lowest conversion charge.

I just called in and made final payment on our Christmas cruise today (payment not due until Oct 6, but I dont want to tempt fate. ) Even if the CAD goes above USD, I still think I did ok:) If only CAD will stay up there for the cruise then the on-board bill will be easier to handle

I think I will go buy some more Traveller's Cheques tomorrow and apply them to the on-board bill. Just an FYI, our bank (Credit Union actually) charges a lower exchange rate on TC than cash.

We sail on the Legend on February 17/08. We have a US account at our bank and have just purchased US funds and deposited them in the account. Regardless of what happens to the Canadian dollar, our funds are already in US dollars. We will keep our money until our final payment is due in late November. It's better in our account than in Carival's.

So did your Agent booked directly with Carnival or through a consolidator or tour company?

Checked papers and my agent deals directly with Carnival. It is interesting that I see no discounts on either their Canadian or US websites.

Then, when I win all that money in Reno, the Cdn dollar drops below the US dollar and I make more money converting it back to Canadian!

I expect the Canadian dollar to hold until spring (winter oil sales), so just keep the money in US dollars and pay for another cruise. Don't dream it, cruise it.

I just was talking to my Travel Agent, a very large Company and I have used for years for travel and my Third Cruise, she said that Carnival will no , that I will have to pay what it is, I asked if I could pay in americian and she said no, even if i canceled and booked with Carnival that it would not work because I live in canada and not USA

Note, I only paid in USD.

Considering I am not the only Canadian getting a discount that Carnival is telling it's agents is a special deal for Canadians only, I think it is time you start asking around for another agent who has your interests at heart. This will be our fifth trip that either I or my girlfriend has booked with them and they have always gotten us prices below Carnival's advertised pricing or added some extra spiffs to the trip.

A good agent ensures they make a profit so they always will be there for you and then is willing to take a *LITTLE* cut in that profit if needed to insure your trip goes well.

Note, I only paid in USD.

Considering I am not the only Canadian getting a discount that Carnival is telling it's agents is a special deal for Canadians only, I think it is time you start asking around for another agent who has your interests at heart. This will be our fifth trip that either I or my girlfriend has booked with them and they have always gotten us prices below Carnival's advertised pricing or added some extra spiffs to the trip.

A good agent ensures they make a profit so they always will be there for you and then is willing to take a *LITTLE* cut in that profit if needed to insure your trip goes well.

Hi ECP, Thanks for the advise, Iam sending my E-address if your agent is near Ottawa, I live just outside,

Thanks sailorwife

sailorwife@rogers.com I know I should not do this

Archived