Rome and Florence

I was on the Aug 6th sailing of the Brilliance of the Seas (wonderful Ship) on a Mediterrainian Cruise. We were in Rome on a Sunday (Sistine Chapel closed) and in Florence on a Monday (ALL museums closed - no David etc) and it was very dissapointing. On my return I called custumer service and told them that I thought that should be publicized BEFORE someone booked the cruise. They said it was not up to them but up to my travel agent - what is your opinion on this?

The cruise was still wonderful - it was my 22nd but first overseas - I do see a difference in the RCL food (9th on RCL) - More options and more hours out of the dining room - but fewer choices in the dining room (Pasta with marinara sauce first choice on menu most nights! - lunch menu the few times dining room was open - always the same sometimes with 1 special) Please email me with thoughts on who should have notified us (by the way this is a 12 day cruise - the itenerary does vary - so we may have been the ONLY cruise with this problem. Thanks!

Well this is disappointing for sure but I don´t think it´s the fault of RCI or your TA. I think this can happen to you on all itineraries. There are many other things in both cities to experience, although I can understand your dissapointment if this was what your heart was going to. If you haven´t asked your TA especially for these spots I think he wasn´t able to know your preferences. Although if you asked him especially he should have informed himself about the opening hours.

I agree that finding the important sites closed when you were there must have been disappointing. Now you have an excuse to go back there, either on another cruise or a land based vacation. Not been to Rome, but David is breathtaking and the Uffizi gallery in Florence is out of this world.

Its also a good idea to do some homework before traveling abroad.We booked our Med cruise for last October.Our friends who work as school teachers decided that they wanted to go with us but could only go in August.After reviewing the excursions avaliable to us I found footnotes explaining that most musiums and chapels were closed to the public during the summer months in Italy.I also found out that this is when everyone in Europe also take their HOLIDAY.No wonder everything is closed there all at the beach and on our cruise as I found out later.Had we kept our October plans we could have avoided all this.But we had a very nice time going along with friends.As the prevous thread said,we have a reason to go back again!

Archived