Room attendant's job?

I guess we were the only ones that didn't have stellar service. We had 2 cabins, one for us and one for the kids. Our kids were not messy, and literally were only in the room to sleep. In both of the cabins, we had a towel animal hung up and the beds made. The glasses were never cleaned, we ended up asking him to take them away and used the throw away cups from the promenade coffee location. After the steward cleaned our kids cabin, I would go and tidy the room! I mean simple things like taking out plates of food, putting shoes in the closet, etc.

In the hallway, I would see other stewards greating all of the passengers and chatting. Ours never did that. We asked for extra ice...and gave up, we just got it ourselves.

This didn't ruin our vacation, but it is interesting how different it has been from crusie to cruise.

Perhaps your expectations of the attendants duties are a bit high. Personally I've never thought it was his/her job to pick up our clothing and put it away for us. Certainly clearing the plates is their job.

We have always been very lucky with our cabin attendants. We have had some that you see many times, and others that are rather invisible. Although I prefer to see them, there was nothing negative I could say about our invisible cabin attendant. On our 15 night Panama Canal trip, it seemed like we always needed something. We did not bring sticky pads, so I would jot a note and prop it on our pillow. I always left a few dollars with it. We have never not received what we have requested. One year our room felt stuffy and my husband requested a fan....We were very suprised when we came back to our room with a nice fan sitting there.

As far as picking up clothes and shoes, etc in the room, I do not feel that it is part of their job. I will say that we have had many cabin attendants that did fold any clothing left laying around, move shoes to a more appropriate place,etc. I felt this was above and beyond his job, and he was well compensated for it. We also had fun trying to find where he would move stuff.....

Our teenage son would sleep in. We always told our cabin attendant to wake him when he was ready to do the room. He would never wake him, he would always wait.

They do work the hardest and probably receive the least recognition.

Archived