Norfolk peir question

colemonster

I am going on the Horizon Sept 5th out of Norfolk. I have found a hotel a holiday inn in Portsmouth on the waterfront. I have been told there is a ferry right next door to this hotel that cost $1 pp and runs every 30 minutes and takes you to Waterside. I am considering staying here and parking my car at the hotel and taking the ferry over. Has anyone ever done this? Is it close enough to walk from the drop off to the pier? I am a little nervous but thought a ferry ride might be fun and different plus save some cash.

Thanks!!!

tb is right, Portsmouth is literally a 5 minute ferry ride. Norfolk and Portsmouth share a harbor that you could throw a baseball across. Good choice. We are locals and decided to go to Bermuda oct 23 out of our home port to give it a try.

Colemonster-

We are on the same cruise. You can sign in on our roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=38602&page=2&pp=25&highlight=Horizon

I am local but hadn't thought about the idea of staying in Portsmouth and taking the ferry. But it sounds like a good idea. I did some research early on hotels on the Norfolk side and posted on the roll call. With wheels on your suitcase, you shouldn't have a problem.

Sign in on the roll call and plan on meeting with us on the first sea day.

I am getting a quote of 104.00 for the night. The hotel is right beside the ferry terminal. The only thing available in Norfolk for me to leave my car is the Clarion and it is 153.00 for the night. This will be our honeymoon and we are driving after the wedding from Charlotte so we will be arriving in Norfolk very late and just need a place to sleep. I thought it might be fun to ride the ferry also. The only thing is the ferry starts back up on Sat and Sun at 10:15. When we disembark I don't want to be waiting around for the ferry. I guess worse case senario I could get a cab back to the Holiday Inn. Thanks for all the reply's!!

Colemonster.. I left a response to your queston on the Holland America Board. I called the Hotel directly and was informed they do not have a long term parking arrangements. If you stay one night - that's one night of parking. The rate you had isn't bad if it includes 7 days of parking. The entertainment card rate is $48 if there are rooms available.

I would be leery leaving a vehicle in a parking lot if there is no long-term park & stay. Check the Radisson. It's $139 and includes parking/shuttle & Breakfast. Or.. $48 for the Holiday Inn and then $10 per day parking at the cruise parking lots. At least you know your car will be secure.

10's nut.. if you are successful leaving your car at the $99 rate please share when you get back. I was told that rate didn't include parking. If they don't check.. cool.. let us know and I'll share with others staying at this local.

Archived