Haleakala Sunrise Excursion / Tour (not bike)

tapia

Haleakala Sunrise Excursion / Tour (not bike)

Good afternoon. I've been reading a while and want to do a Haleakala Sunrise Tour, but I am not sure yet about doing the bike ride.

If I can do some kind of different excursion with either 4-wheeling or just a nice comfy tour, I'd be happy with that. So far I found a few companies that do tour options. Has anyone used any of these companies or do you have any other suggestions.

(We aren't renting a car & driving, I'm already definite on that.)

Thank you for your help!!!

I'm not sure if all will pick up at the pier yet....

Tours I have found so far: (all prices are per person)

http://www.allmauitours.com/Body.asp?Page=TourDetails&tour=OGG-B0003

$73.99

Start your day on top of the world! Ascend by mini-coach to the summit of the world's largest dormant volcano, Haleakala! A mountaintop continental breakfast is included! Don't miss this once-on-a-lifetime experience to touch the sky! Roundtrip hotel transportation & expert narration included.

http://www.hawaiiactivities.com/index.cfm?activity=5695AC17-345E-4A19-A557E5DCEDE35DFD

$186.46

Sunrise (3:00am): Sunrise at the summit of Haleakala is a once-in-a-lifetime experience! You’ll start your day “on top of the world” at majestic Pu’u Ula Ula (Red Hill), the pinnacle of Haleakala. First light reveals a 360 degree view encompassing the Big Island, West Maui, Lanai, Molokai and beyond. The House of the Sun Visitors Center offers breathtaking panoramas from the rim of the crater. Complimenting this invigorating experience, you'll enjoy an uplifting breakfast in a post card setting at Kula Lodge, which is located 3,200 feet above the Pacific Ocean. After breakfast you’ll have time to stroll the garden grounds or view Curtis Wilson Cost original artwork in his on-site gallery. During your descent, plenty of stops are made along the way for in depth narration and photo opportunities.

The Menu:

Continental Breakfast – A quick bite will be served on the way up to the summit. “Run of the Menu” at Kula Lodge – Relax and enjoy a “Run of the Menu” breakfast in the postcard setting of Kula Lodge, which sits 3,200 feet above the Pacific. Eggs Benedict, homemade cinnamon French Toast or Belgian Waffles with seasonal fruit are just a few of the many entrée choicesl

http://www.akinatours.com/tour_sunrise.htm

$77

Travel to "Maui’s Heaven" located on top of majestic Haleakala and experience the energy of sun rising as you stand 9,745 feet above the sea level. Witness before your eyes the kaleidoscope of changing colors of Haleakala from rich brown to a vivid red as it peeps above the horizon to begin your day. During this experience you may enjoy a continental breakfast.

Your tour will include a rare glimpse of the majestic Silver Sword plants found nowhere else in the world.

As we travel down the arid slopes you'll have some time at the Sunrise Market Place to observe the many different varieties of Proteas grown at the elevation of 3,500 feet.

After experiencing the sunrise on Maui, you'll be returned to your hotel with an unforgettable experience of a lifetime.

http://hawaiidiscountactivities.com/reservationrequest/activitylistings.asp?catkey=120&subcat=False&vendorid=&actkey=1039&page_size=8&current_page=1&island=2

$75

Spectacular Haleakala Operates Monday through Friday ONLY Premier Mini Coach service Rising over 10,000 feet from sea level, Haleakala is renowned for its raw beauty and unique scenery-moving Mark Twain to write that his 1866 visit to this dormant volcano was " . . . the sublimest spectacle I ever witnessed "and". . . the memory of it will remain with me always. " Kula District Haleakala National Park Haleakala Crater Puu Ulaula Overlook Haleakala Visitor Center Rare Silversword Plants Dress warmly for Haleakala's summit. (Temp. 20-40 degrees F) We do not guarantee weather will permit viewing sunrise. SUNRISE TOUR includes complimentary coffee and pastry service:

http://www.hawaiiactive.com/activities/maui-haleakala-sunrise.html

$199

Haleakala National Park -

Sunrise Adventure Tour in LimoVan

Start your day On Top of the World! Enjoy a relaxing, personalized and guided tour to Haleakala, "House of the Sun," at 10,023 feet. Island-wide pick-up at 3:00/3:30am from your hotel or condo. The sunrise adventure allows you to experience the famous Haleakala crater in comfort and style. A continental breakfast is served prior to sunrise. The "House of the Sun" visitor's center offers breathtaking panoramas from the rim of the crater.

Plenty of stops are made for photo opportunities while descending this view filled mountain drive, so you may discover and learn in-depth about the Native Hawaiian people, their culture and land. Complementing this invigorating experience is a Run-of-the Menu breakfast at the charming Kula Lodge, complete with a postcard setting at 3,200 feet above the tropical Pacific.

After dining there is plenty of time to stroll the garden grounds. During this memorable day, you have the chance to visit an Upcountry protea farm and see how these unusual and exotic flowers are grown and more.

Returning at a Maui-style pace takes you through the vibrant agricultural region of Upcountry Maui. Return to your hotel at approximately 10:30-11:30am.

Haleakala National Park - Sunrise Adventure Tour in LimoVan includes:

• Hotel/Condo pick up between 3:00 and 3:30am

• Return to your hotel/condo between 10:30am-11:30am

• Professionally narrated 7 ½ hour tour with max. 6-8 guests.

• Continental breakfast served at crater rim before sunrise and "Run-of-the Menu Breakfast "at Kula Lodge.

• Ice-Cold soft drinks always available.

http://www.robertshawaii.com/maui/sunrise-at-haleakala.php

$114.82

Sunrise at Haleakala &

Upcountry Breakfast Experience

Experience an Upcountry Maui morning like no other. Watch the spectacular sunrise atop Haleakala Crater dramatically coloring a new Maui morning. Then, view multi-islands as daylight begins. After sunrise, travel down the slopes of Haleakala to lower Kula for a one-of-a-kind Upcountry breakfast at one of Maui's top agritourism farms on Omaopio Ridge. Surfing Goat Dairy is the winner of 16 national awards featuring gourmet goat cheeses. The gourmet breakfast following the sunrise at Halekala inlcudes a selection of fresh breads, fresh croissants, a selection of marmalades, jams and honey, three different fresh Surfing Goat Dairy cheeses, a selection of cereals, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruits and fresh brewed coffee, tea and fresh milk.

Roberts Hawaii is pleased to offer this exclusive gourmet breakfast following the sunrise at Haleakala Crater. It is ideal for both newcomers and repeat visitors to the island of Maui seeking a unique visitor experience beyond just a visit to Maui's 10,023-foot volcano as well as those who prefer not to rent a car to travel off the beaten path.

http://www.temptationtours.com/reservationrequest/activitylistings.asp?page_size=1&current_page=1&actkey=5

$179

HALEAKALA SUNRISE®

Timeless Volcanic Beauty

• View the SPECTACULAR sunrise atop Haleakala, Maui’s 10,023 ft. volcano, as you photograph STUNNING multi-island views.

• Begin with CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST at crater rim before sunrise.

• After sunrise, enjoy a Delightful run-of-the-menu Breakfast.

• With only 6-8 guest per LUXURY Limo-Van, tour Haleakala and Upcountry plus visit an EXOTIC protea farm, narrated by our Hawaii State Certified Guide.

COMPLIMENTARY Resort / Hotel / Condo / Harbor pick-up.

http://www.hawaiiactivities.com/index.cfm?activity=B1369A6B-EA2F-3D4E-7FBA978FDF6AAA55

$78

Travel with Polynesian Adventure Tours for sunrise at the 10,023-foot summit of the dormant volcano, Haleakala!

You’ll have to get up early, but sunrise at Haleakala is well worth it and a once in a lifetime experience. You’ll journey with a knowledgeable Polynesian Adventure Tours driver/guide in one of their spacious and comfortable Premier Mini Coaches.

At Haleakala National Park you’ll visit the House of the Sun Visitor Center and Puu Ulaula Overlook for sunrise and photo opportunities, complimentary coffee and fresh pastries top off your morning. Heading back you’ll have the opportunity to see the diverse landscape of Haleakala National Park and possibly view a rare Silversword Plant or a Nene, the Hawaii State Bird.

Inclusion:

Tax / Continental Breakfast / Guide / Admission

Can't comment on the tour companies you mention, but we took the sunrise "tour" and bike ride a few years ago. It was foggy at the top and we didn't see anything, especially the sunrise. I think it's like that alot. So don't be disappointed if you get to the top and it's a "bust".

Robert's does a Haleakala sunrise shore excursion for $39/pp:

http://www.gorabbitgo.com/maui/haleakala_sunrise.php

They do pick you up at the pier, and I've heard their tours are good. However, others have commented on the boards that their shore excursions apply only to NCL cruisers (you didn't mention what cruiseline you're using).

Karen

• 1 year later...
Sorry, I'm using Celebrity...so, I guess that won't work.

I thought weather rarely was a problem with viewing, is that not accurate?

We just got back from Hawaii and we did the sunrise at Haleakala. It is wonderful and should not be missed. We rented a car and did the drive but 2 people did the bike tour. They had a great time and swore that it was wonderful. the company they chose provided clothing for the trip. It will be around 35 degrees colder at the summit than the bottom. It was 40 when we were there. The downside is that they had to get up at 1:45 AM to meet the bus as it stopped at many hotels on the way. We got up at 2:45 and were there by 5:30.

You must eat the pancakes at the Kula Lodge. Be aware that 1 order will feed two people.

The weather can be iffy. We met some locals showing some mainlanders the sunrise and they informed us that it is not always clear but usually is more than partially clear. Do not miss it.

• Administrators

We certainly enjoyed our sunrise at the summit of Haleakala.

You start in darkness so opaque that you don't even realize you are standing on the rim of a caldera, and then you see the first hints of color, which were so slight my camera couldn't quite focus --

2566156150101795198S600x600Q85.jpg

As the light grows stronger the views become more amazing, and you suddenly become aware that you are above the clouds (even as you still can't see into the caldera right in front of you -- the sunlight hasn't reached it)

2804954530101795198S600x600Q85.jpg

I would do sunrise at Haleakala again in a heartbeat -- even at the cost of getting up at 2 am or so. :) That was my "price" for doing the bicycle trip down (from the summit at that time) which my SO wanted to do -- "okay, we'll bike, but we're doing the sunrise trip." Neither of us regretted it in the slightest.

We used a tour for our visit (http://www.adventuremaui.com) and the first post in this thread lists several other companies offering tours. Renting a car if you are on an overnight stop on Maui is also possible, though I confess that even semi-dozing at 4 AM in a van I was NOT driving I thought the road up Haleakala was pretty daunting. Younger folks might find it no problem, though. Have a great time in Hawaii!

Also be aware that in some months the temps are even colder! We went Dec last year and it was 10 deg F with wind chill. Nothing detracts from the beauty of this mountain like becoming a human popsickle. We also had to delay our departure from the summit because of black ice that formed while we were there. Would I do it again? IN A HEARTBEAT!!!

BTW we used polynesian thru NCL

• 1 month later...

We did the sunrise tour, and loved it. We couldn't have done the bike ride, as we had kids with us, and after seeing it, I was glad we didnt'! There will be many people who disagree with me on this, but I think if you're hesitant about the bike, don't bother with it. I wouldn't have been comfortable going downhill that far with so much traffic around! (Including busses).

Archived