Snorkeling in the Caribbean

ostyinmi

So we are going to St. Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, and Dominica and was wondering where it would be best to scuba from the beaches and where a power boat excursion is a must. Wife and I are planning on buying our own equiptment and I know it is a must to do a powerboat excursion but just want to know where everybody feels it is a must to do each at!

We were in Antiqua a couple of years ago & took a 30 minute taxi ride to Long Bay & it was simply awesome. Nice clean quiet beach, a reef you can swim out to & loads of fish. We were the only people there except for one other family for the longest time. There are a couple of beach bar/shacks selling cold brew, cokes, & food. I highly recommend going there. Along the way ask your driver to take you to see "Devil's Bridge", it's beautiful & only need stop for 15-20 minutes

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Celebrity Millenium in 2005 and we stopped in St. Thomas, took a ferry to St. John and hiked on the different trails through the national park. One of the trails (somewhat difficult) led down to a series of empty coves where you could have your own small private beach to snorkel from. I, of course, didn't think to bring my snorkeling gear, but it would have been amazing. Due to the rocky and steep trail, not very many people made the trek, so you would be able to "get lost" there easily. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are my favorites at three of your spots:

Barbados - run, don't walk, to google the web site for Silver Moon and sign up for one of their excursions. This is a fantastic trip. Pictures included in my photo link before for our Feb-07 and March-07 trips.

Grenada - I don't know if there are any great snorkeling spots here or not. We went to a restaurant called the Aquarium on magazine beach. It was a great beach very quiet with a nice restaurant, chairs, etc. No equipment rental here so you'll need your own snorkeling gear (we normally carry only mask & snorkel and rent fins). The coral here was not as lively as it used to be, but better than nothing. From what I heard our experience was far better than those who went to Grand Anse beach. A few pictures on our site for Feb-07 cruise.

St. Thomas - I'd really recommend going on a Day Sail - Google St. Thomas Day Sail. There are at least a half dozen operators that sail 50 foot (more or less) sail boats taking a maximum of 6 passengers on an all day sail to one or more snorkeling spots around St. John. The snorkeling on these spots was far better than the shore snorkeling we'd done at St. John beaches in the past and the overall day was lots of fun. We went on a boat called the Winifred (I think it is sailwinifred.com) and had a great time despite rainy cool weather (unusual for St. Thomas).

A few pictures on our site for March-07 cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

In Grenada you can contact Sabine at Scuba Tech out of the Calabash Resort. They picked us up at the cruise dock and brought us back by boat. You can spend the day at the resort or they will bring you back to the boat.

Just spent a morning with them snorkeling. They were great. Took us to the protected marine bay. Was terrific. They will take good care of you.

Power Boat-----Dominica for sure. Poor island but the people are great and they appreciate you coming. They give you, your money worth.

Going off the ship is fine. we have gone plenty of times to the island on cruise ships and dove off the ship each time.:D

Archived