S&S Card & Tweens???

Doug&Suzy-Q

I hope you don't get tired of me asking questions on my newly found "Family Cruising" thread:D But I really do a search for the answers:o

OK.....Grandkids ages 12 & 11 we plan on giving them their S&S card so they can go back to their (adjoining) room. This is like a responsibility thing:)

Question: Is their card linked to mine? So if they lose it, or decide to actually charge something, it will appear on my bill?

Or.......can I block charges and have the card as a room key and boarding key only??

Lucy'smom,

True story from when my parents took the grandsons on a cruise. These were my sister's kids we have none.

They did not put a limit on their S&S card since they bought them soda stickers. Well the boys discovered those fancy virgin drinks with ice cream.

The phone call from grandma after the cruise was a riot. Especially when it came down to the 90.00 pair of shorts one grandson bought on the ship. Young kids are not great with budget so limit the card.

After the cruise grandpa took the boys to the bank to open savings account and is working now on that life skill. Their mom has always been bad about money, I know she is my sister. Why they thought the boys would understand is a big question.

Learning experience for all. But yes you can limit spending with the cards and do it. The boys just thought they were signing slips. We still laugh about that trip.

We allow our boys to charge on their cards because it teaches them about responsibility. (They started cruising when they were 8 & 9) For example, they are allowed one smoothie and one coke per day and they can spend $10 each day in the arcade. Any purchases in the gift shop have to be approved by a parent.

Discuss this with your grandchildren and let them know what they can and can not do. At 11 and 12, they should be mature enough to respect your rules. If you simply put a limit on their cards they will not have the opportunity to learn the lesson themselves.

Good luck!

We allow our boys to charge on their cards because it teaches them about responsibility. (They started cruising when they were 8 & 9) For example, they are allowed one smoothie and one coke per day and they can spend $10 each day in the arcade. Any purchases in the gift shop have to be approved by a parent.

Discuss this with your grandchildren and let them know what they can and can not do. At 11 and 12, they should be mature enough to respect your rules. If you simply put a limit on their cards they will not have the opportunity to learn the lesson themselves.

Good luck!

I agree. Put the limit, but also tell them what is allowed and what isn't. This way they are learning how to budget themselves also. If they can't follow those rules then the consequence is that you will take the cards away and they won't be able to charge anything.

Well I have a couple of questions that I am not sure if they have been answered before. This will be my kids first cruise (ages at cruise time 14,13,11).

First, can they just have S&S card with no money on it just the charges will be on my card?

Second, does the arcade actually take quarters?

My children are between the stage of "being responsible" and "wow I have this card with $ on it, what can I buy?":) . I was just going to get a few rolls of quarters.

Any help on these two questions will help.

Thanks, Rachelle

Great idea...

I also like the idea of rolls of quarters.........in fact......I just might do a Christmas gift for fun...........rolls of quarters for each of them, to use any way they wan....... with a picture of the Glory.......or some other little item for the cruise.........wrap it all up in a box.........

Grandpa......every year likes to tease the kids by wrapping up some silly gift with yards and yards of duct tape........the first time he did this they were curious......now every year they look forward to his goofy duct tape presents:eek:

Archived